Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With repair panels readily available and sons willing to help we removed seats and carpets. Will also restore the pedal box that has 55 yrs of grunge. Luckily son is experienced tig welder.

Attachments

Reactions: markivan

·
Registered
42 Posts
While I have a Spider and not a TI I am most interested in this post. I have to replace the left footwell pan because the PO did not replace the scuttle drains and it rusted through the pan. Please post detailed photos and narrative from your son the welder as to consumables selection, etc.

Cheers!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll have to go through that thread carefully, thanks Pete.
With lots of idle spare hands around called kids, we decided to pull the powertrain while waiting for the floor panels to arrive from Alfaholics. In 3 hrs we had it out, and the panels should be in tomorrow, Alfaholics is fast!
We'll reseal the engine and trans, and completely detail the engine bay. Won't touch the engine until the body work is done. A few pictures are in order.

Attachments

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Beautiful panel from Alfaholics, so far we plan on using a portion of it.
We also separated the engine from the transmission, removed the clutch, which looks v good, we'll measure friction thickness, and flywheel. Then spent over an hour fiddling with the arms trying to mount the engine to an engine stand. I was surprised ACE hardware had the 4 inch long metric bolts we needed.

Attachments

Reactions: markivan

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The drain hole will be filled in. We drilled out the spot welds so the replacement panel fits properly. The flat sections will be welded thru holes drilled in the new panel. We will decide later if we seam weld. Seam sealer will finish off the repair. So far I am happy with the results.

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,904 Posts
George I see you are running twin carbs, not sure if you have the original single Solex set-up, but I have the correct inlet manifold, air cleaner & bracket for an early 105 Ti in my spares.... actually I have two sets, but the second air can bracket is a little bent.

FWIW I also have a NOS chrome magic wand column shift lever which was sold to me as a 750 item, but it's definitely not Giulietta. It has a machined rectangle on the lower end whereas the 750 one has a U shaped fork.... I suspect this might be 105 column shift Ti ??

I'll be watching your resto with interest, your Ti colour scheme is my favourite for the sedans !!

Ciao
Greig

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Magic wand

Hi Greig, this is a 105 column shift lever.

Back on topic!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Patched / lap joint ??
Why not butt welded properly, that’s just going to rust again!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We will prime paint and seam seal, it will last long enough.....we also did a small patch which was butt welded at the passenger side hear the tunnel.

Attachments

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rear floor in, as always the rust damage goes beyond what's seen. Inspection of the rocker revealed that the inner was fine the middle and outer were damaged along the front half of the bottom. The middle and outer are here already from Classic Alfa. Like to support the various vendors! Last pic is first trial fit of middle rocker.

Attachments

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Andrew, and a picture of the outer panel looks like, the middle panel is no shown in the picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I should proofread the comments before sending them!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got the middle panel welded in after prepping. Drilling holes along the bottom edge for the spot welds and making sure it's tight everywhere. The backside was painted except where the welds are placed. This was a relatively easy job compared with welding the outer panel.
First picture shows the underside of the sill, inner rocker in good shape.

Attachments

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The outer skin panel fitted, clamped along the bottom edge. Now to prepare it for welding. The panel sits not quite flush with the original sill, about a thirty second below, to allow for welding and a skim of filler.

Attachments

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Welded the outer rocker and now ready to weld back the lower fender piece that I had to cut out to gain access. So far pretty happy with the progress and enjoying the work.

Attachments

Reactions: LaurandSteve
1 - 20 of 197 Posts