Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time again to enlist the BB brotherhood for help.

I have an intermittent knock in the front suspension (1992 164 S, 62k), seems to be drivers side. It's not a metallic sound but more like a muffled thud or knock that I feel more than hear, it's just slightly over the threshold for hearing if one is preceptive. It occurs when hitting mild depressions in the road. It's especially easy to detect when the CDS suspension is set to auto (soft) and when the road is relatively smooth. The maddening thing is that the sound can completely disappear for long periods of time. I read a post of Chazzy that mentions loose steering rack bushes, does that sound like a possibility? I have yet to jack up car. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
A likely cause might be worn out or disintegrated sway bar "lollipop" link bushings. I just had a problem with the same sound this summer with my 91S. Turns out all the link bushings on one side were shot, and the parts were knocking against each other because of the slop.

Changing them with all new parts from Jason took care of that. I like those new design lollipop links.

Also, be sure the stab bar main bushings are lubed. They can make an awful noise if they are dry, esp if they are aftermarket poly bushings. Mine are and do, and I have to get in there with some spray silicone.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your suggestion. Sway bar lollipops and main bushings are new. That was my guess too. Had no effect on the intermittent knocking.

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
Ok. Top and bottom nuts of the struts tight? Worn ball joints?

Don't know what could make the noise intermittent, except I know that if it is rainy out, most of the odd suspension noises in the S tend to go away. Temporary lubing from rain water? Noise come and go with temperature changes? Engine top dogbone bushings ok?

Usually, if the steering rack is shot/loose, a common thing which can happen is that the rack will move from side to side, quite noticeable when driving, as the steering wheel takes a set to one side a little.

One other thing, sometimes a strut will be a little dry and the top seal will make noise/squawk now and then. Have this with one front Koni (with only about 15k miles on it) on my LS, and I have to spray silicone through a little slit in the bellows onto the shaft to quiet it down. I suppose I should send the shock to Koni for a redo or something.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New ball joints. Top and bottom struts nuts tight too but I can revisit this. The intermittent thing is puzzling. If it were the lower wishbone you'd think it would be constant. Would a worn out engine mount do this (on a part time basis)?

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
This sounds suspiciously similar to a very infrequent intermittent noise I've experienced with Red. In my case however it is definitely on the right side which initially caused me to pull over because I thought it might be a belt guard or something loose. Problem is it is so infrequent and short lived that I have not been able to pin it down. It almost sounds like something flapping in the wind in my case so maybe not related.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, such intermittent things drive one crazy. There is a slightly similar noise—Steve Alfisto mentions it in a post—where the right drive shaft can bump on the frame. I don't think this is my case. I guess it time to get under the car and inspect it carefully, with weight on the wheels.

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
I did discover that the 91S rhs drive shaft does have a worn/shiny area where it rubs against the rubber/plastic fender liner, but that doesn't seem to make a noise that I hear, and it's not doing structural damage to the shaft.

As for it being an engine mount, I suppose, as a function of the particular characteristics of the bump you hit, along with throttle setting, etc.

·
Premium Member
9,778 Posts
Check drive shaft. Allen bolts are tight? Spindle nut tight? CHeck all a-arm bolts into chassis.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Mine was the strut, making the same noises you describe under the same conditions. Intermittent was due to temp variances I think. ciao jc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts