Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '74 Spider makes a kind of whistling noise from the tranny when the clutch is out (engaged) and goes away when the peddle is depressed. Would this indicate that the throw-out bearing is going or could it be something more serious?

·
Premium Member
22,966 Posts
Usually the TO bearing makes noise when you push in the pedal, if it's bad.
Might be just whirling gear noise, but is it a new noise? Is the oil level full? Have the shift boots torn, allowing noise through that used to be excluded?
Andrew

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Couple of things I should mention. The fill bolt is cross threaded and I can't get it out so I've added gear oil from the top. I should probably drain and add the 3.2 pints so I'll know it's full. Both shift boots are torn. At some point (when I retire!) I'll be pulling the engine and dealing with all these issues but I'd like to drive it until then. It drives well and shifts smooth even down to 2nd. Just don't want to do any serious damage.

·
Premium Member
22,966 Posts
But did the noise just start, or has it made it all along? Trying to figure out if something has changed recently.
Andrew

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I started to notice a slight noise when cruising in third gear about a month ago. About two weeks ago it started making the whirling noise whenever the clutch was engaged even in neutral.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts