Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been able to locate a new throw out bearings by itself, i.e. without the entire balanced clutch assembly? Although I haven't pulled the clutch just yet, my race car most likely needs a new throw out bearing as it is making scrape-like, grinding noises, that only goes away when clutch is disengaged (pedal down). I do have a used spare, but would prefer new.
Jes

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Because car isn't done... :eek: But, it is close :eek: Until then, well, gotta run this... So, any sources for throw out bearings?
Jes

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
No, they are NLA, and supposedly (according to a post on here a while ago), someone wrote a letter to the company that made them and they have been out of production (as in all the ones that come with the clutch kits are NOS) for around 15 years.

·
Premium Member
15,004 Posts
The folks who supply complete new clutch packs must have a stash or a source or they are re-cycling.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to update with resolution. It turned out not to be the throw-out bearing. After pulling the clutch and not seeing anything obvious with the throw-out bearing, I tried turning the input shaft to the transmission by hand. With two fingers turning it I could feel a form of grinding every revolution for a fraction of a full turn. So, I pulled the transmission apart and expected to find something obvious wrong, but with the gear stack on the bench everything spun perfectly :confused: Closer inspection did reveal 3 of the little teeth on a dog ring broken off - I found them in the casing. However, that would not explain any grinding. Uwe helped me replace the dog ring, and I test assembled the transmission spinning and testing everything as I gradually put it together. It turned out that when the front casing of the transaxle was put on the grinding would reappear. We had a spare front casing part that I put on, and that solved it :confused: I could not see anything wrong with bearings in the casing, but that must be the issue, as it is now running perfectly again (with the spare front casing part).
Jes

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I think they are probably mostly all assembled as clutch kits that are still sitting around. At least in the US, there probably aren't that many milanos left (what, only about 3500 total when they were new?) so the number of people who are going to pay $800 for a clutch for a $1500 car is probably low enough that there isnt a terribly high demand for them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
There are cheap and not so cheap bearings...

u can get original one Sachs 3151 061 102 for ~130e cheapest...

LuK also makes them for around 50e but idk the part no for them... as sachs works just fine... and lasts a long time...

or u can replace the v6/1.8t clutch assembly for 2.0TS one... the disc is what... 15mm smaller in diameter but the bearing is cheap at 27e... :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts