Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Italian mistress is really challenging my mechanic-on-the-fly abilities.
Just now, as I was out for an evening constitutional (drive, that is) the pin that connects the throttle linkage to the plenum flapper valve just dropped out. The car simply went into idle mode and there was no throttle response. I realized what was up the minute I opened the hood, and was fortunate enough to have a bungee cord in the trunk, which, once I stuck the pin back in the hole on the valve plate, I used to hold everything in place while I limped home, using the throttle as little as possible.
Upon inspection, it looks like the pin just dropped out of the hole it sits in. It also looks like it was originally secured by mashing it in from the back, like a bad rivet. And then the PO tried to glue it in!?
Has anyone had this happen before?
I'm thinking I need to remove the plate that has the spring attached and take the two parts to the local metal shop and possibly have them either mash it back together or even add a small tack weld.
Not fun...but glad I could jerry-rig something to get me home.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Yeah that's about all you can do is weld it. I once had the throttle linkage break ad what I did was adjust the idle to about 2500 and drove it home that way.

I'm sure if someone else has a fix you'll hear soon.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
I guess a weld will do it (take a couple of photos of that spring before undoing it so it goes back correctly!)

if a weld doesn't do it for some reason, there is actually a throttle body on ebay #120711922093, from which you could take the part and keep the rest as spares.

92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys-
I was thinking a weld is the way to go, but I did see the throttle body on ebay, Dom. Pretty tempting; unbolt old, bolt in new...zoom zoom.
And I agree about the pre op photos, especially with the spring.

Thanks again, and I will keep y'all posted.

·
Premium Member
6,384 Posts
That looks like a prime candidate for a brasing rod on the backside. Maybe peen it with a punch to hold in position.

92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick update

Just because I know you're all on edge waiting to hear what's happened...
took my throttle connector plate thingy with a loose pin to a place literally right down the hill from where I work - Rockport Marine - and had a really nice guy in their phenomenal metal shop re-place the pin with several craftsmanlike swings of his ball-peen hammer. The pin is solid as new. And while the car was slightly apart, I cleaned the oil vapor separator (not as bad as I'd anticipated) and got it ready for a repaint.
So now, with a tight fuel-delivery assembly (opened and adjusted the AFM the other day), the Spider pulls away from a stop smoothly and hums along at speed.

Thanks for all your input.

·
Super Moderator
10,108 Posts
I hate to be a pessimist, but I suspect it will loosen up in time. Next time it comes loose, I'd suggest welding rather than just swaging. Do I see evidence of a broken factory weld the red circle?

Is this the original design? Looks sort of "mickey mouse" to me, but admittedly I know nothing about EFI-era spiders.

92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mickey mouse

Hi Jay -
The whole thing is a long story.
Somewhere along the line, a PO must've created a short circuit with a wrench (or something) that created that arc-weld lump you see on the throttle link. That event must have loosened the setting of the pin ever-so-slightly, and each tweak of the throttle forced the pin to rock, undoing the swaging until it fell out a couple of days ago...in the middle of nowhere.
I removed the plate, filed off the arc-weld snot and, as I said, had the pin reswaged into place just like the original - actually maybe better.
Anyway, you might be right about the durability, but at least I'll know to keep an eye on the little bugger.

Thanks for the input.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts