Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Mark,

The engine will run fine with the the Air Filter housing off. Just unbolt the idle control housing from it and leave all the idle vacuum hoses still attached.

Just make sure none of the 8 O’rings sealing the air box against the throttle bodies get sucked into the engine when running.

Jeff

Reactions: IRONBLOCK

·
Registered
20 Posts
You can start the engine without the airbox and airfilter, it's the only way to adjust all the links between the throttles and check the gap on the spica lever.
When you have done all the settings you put back the airbox and you adjust the iddle with one or the two equalizers. I just have one on my car as it's a 1972 car.
Bernard

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Thanks Jeff and Bernard, I'm not that familiar with the 'newer' technology -Spica stuff. My 1974 spider way back in 1980 had a Spica and other then a couple oil and filter changes; I never had to touch it. My concern was that with my one equalizer (it's a '72 as well) removed the engine would not start or would run poorly. To the garage....

Mark

·
Registered
20 Posts
On the french forum One of our member has written a brief to set the throttles very well detailed step by step. I have used it many time with success and patience.
On Bruce Taylor web site you have also plenty of good information.
You need patience and good understanding of the system. That the good and interesting side of having an historical car.
Bernard

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
The car started and ran but would not idle. The engine would stall at anything less then about 2000 RPM. Unfortunately it did not have time to warm up completely before prior obligations pulled me away; it is raining today. Once the rain stops, the reference 'C' gap will be checked and the FCS (mixture) adjustment checked and idle set. This part seems doable. Thank you guys for your help!

Today, I noticed that the 'extra' hole in the block corresponds exactly opposite where the return springs (I have two) for the lower throttle attachment point. I suspect the extra hole may be for Right Hand Drive cars (mine is LHD) -if the linkage is reversed.

The black 'OMEL' branded M6x1.0, 10mm hex bolt head, found lying in the valley is ~18mm overall with 13mm of threaded length. If anyone has an idea where it likely came from, I'd like to know; hopefully it can be returned to its proper location. I can't find any similar missing bolts and all of the Spica hardware appears to have recently been gold cadmium plated.

Mark

·
Registered
20 Posts
Can you send a picture of the throttles section with all the links as the bolt could be on the throttle command. the screw with the black dot

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Thanks Bernard, I think that both of the screws you indicate are in place and have slots as opposed to hex heads.
I also wonder what the device, attached to the starter wiring and indicated with the blue arrow on the right side of photo, is? Hopefully it is a starter relay; I think that it is.

Intake view_LI.jpg

I also notice that your 8 vacuum equalizer lines have tiny spring clips and wonder why mine don't. Perhaps that is a source of a vacuum leak.
Mark

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi
The small clips are not necessary as long as the tubes are tight enough when they are hot. I noticed on the forum that the tube should be of the same length and I did it and seems to help for a good idle.
Can you put a picture of the black 'OMEL' branded M6x1.0 ?
It's probably a relay on the starter that some have installed to protect the wiring which could be a bit weak.
Bernard

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I hope you are right about it being a starter relay; I think they also protect the ignition switch as well as the wiring and fuse box. I have an assortment of those compression clips from eBay, I'll see if any are the correct size. The next chance I get I'll photo the OMEL bolt -I may have to get a new phone first as my camera causes the phone to reboot most of the time...

Mark

21 - 29 of 29 Posts