Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Spider
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

will these work on SPICA short and long links? My plastic ones look like they are starting to crack and should be replaced soon. I would imagine that the links are turn buckles. so one of the ends should be reverse threaded. CA does not specify left or right hand threads. So how do you make precise adjustments?

·
Super Moderator
10,585 Posts
Yes, Pierce sells both RH and LH joints.

But the Mercedes-style metal joints and Spica-style plastic joints are RH only. So to adjust them you need to pop off one joint and adjust it one, full turn. For carburetor settings, +- one thread is close enough.

·
Registered
1978 Spider
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the SPICA linkage RH thread only? I'm guessing that since all the vendors that support AR (Certerline, Vics, CA, Alfaholics) I have not seen reference to LH/RH threads on these. but just wanted to make sure before I order. :)

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,484 Posts
Yeah, the Alfa ones are all RH. On my cars the long rod from the firewall has an adjuster in the middle that is LH on one side and RH on the other: this lets you adjust the long rod without removing it. The short vertical rod from the crank under the intake needs to be removed to be adjusted.

Not sure if the SPICA cars are the same.

·
Registered
1978 Spider
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good enough for me...added to my cart at Classic Alfa :)

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Now you tell me after I place my order lol
I've still got the fancy metal new ones on the long rod. I'll switch back to plastic next time I make an adjustment.

When I ordered the metal ones, I was thinking longevity...

How silly. The first ones went 42 years...I'm 65 now.....

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,484 Posts
For the record, not my experience. I don't have any play in the metal ends.

Fill them with grease so they don't wear.

·
Registered
1978 Spider
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've still got the fancy metal new ones on the long rod. I'll switch back to plastic next time I make an adjustment.

When I ordered the metal ones, I was thinking longevity...

How silly. The first ones went 42 years...I'm 65 now.....
Good point

·
Premium Member
13,987 Posts
The long plastic link is good because there are no fireworks when it pops off and touches the starter terminal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts