Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1977 Alfa Romeo Spider 1973 Alfa Romeo Spider
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone identify what model year this comes from. It was in a parts box I purchased. I’m confused why the throttle knob has wire connections on it. Is this from a later year model? I thought it was maybe a shankle sure start but all the pictures I’ve seen look completely different.

Thanks,
Cale

·
Registered
951 Posts
HMMMM: Speaking of pictures.. 🙈

·
Registered
951 Posts
This is a mid 70s car. When you pull the throttle a light will go on in the (center) dash board.
Knob is located low on the center council next to the drivers seat.

That other gadget is an unknown to us "Weber Believers"... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
288 Posts
The other part, not the knob, is for a Spica pump. Manual control to replace the thermostatic actuator. It is just like a Shankle sure start. I doubt that the knob would be effective as the spring on the actuator is pretty stiff. On my Alfetta sedan the throttle lever has better leverage and it is still difficulty to pull. I'm always feeling like its going to break.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
That gizmo should have a slot on the opposite side with an Allen set screw. You have a sure start manual actuator for a Spica pump - any year. This gizmo was designed as a reliable fix for weak and out of order thermostatic actuators, the weakest point of the Spica pump. Hooked up to a cable, it becomes a manual substitute for automatic temperature enrichment. You use it fairly much as a manual choke.

I guess both pieces were together with the intention of conencting them with a proper cable. IMO the throttle knob location in the dash or console is not sturdy enough for the pull force you need to compress the spring.

·
Registered
1977 Alfa Romeo Spider 1973 Alfa Romeo Spider
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply’s!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts