Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all, I've been off the BB for a while because my Alfa has been running so good I've just been enjoying it as a daily driver, with over 5,000 miles of driving in the last six months, what I used to drive in two years.

But I just noticed yesterday that I'm losing coolant out of the top of the coolant resevoir at the line to the throttle body, and tightening the clamp didn't seem to stop it.

It's the original line, and I'm wondering if this line replaceable with generic line from O'Reilly's or Autozone, or is it another unique Alfa part?

Any other suggestions would be greatly apprecited.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
How old is your plastic coolant tank? That nipple on the tank often cracks leading to leaks. The new aftermarket ones aren't very good quality, only lasting a few years, and you guessed it, new OEM ones are NLA. I've had some success plastic welding a hole in one of my tanks with a soldering gun. I'm not throwing out any old ones that need that nozzle fixed:)

You can try replacing the coolant hose, but do a careful inspection of the plastic nipple. That could be the problem.

·
Premium Member
27,011 Posts
I would remove that 60564094 rubber line from nipple on tank and see if copper tubing has retracted from tank and nipple is cracked. Usually you can hammer copper tubing flush back into nipple and tank and that will stop leak when you reattach hose and tighten clamp.

I do have some new spare 60564094 coolant lines if it fact your tank is OK and line is really bad.

My tank nipple is cracked on BB2 but copper tube still holding it together so doesn't leak.

Also see my example of break in nipple at other fitting where hose goes to radiator on a spare tank.

It pays to check both nipples and drive back in copper tubing if it has extended out of nipple to prevent nipple from breaking off.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
I'd sure hate it if my nipple(s) broke off or cracked. Seriously, On mine - same tank - the copper part is looseish in the tank and has to be set "just so" when ever I have it apart. ciao chris

·
Premium Member
27,011 Posts
First your nipple then your tank!

·
Registered
656 Posts
I'd sure hate it if my nipple(s) broke off or cracked. Seriously, On mine - same tank - the copper part is looseish in the tank and has to be set "just so" when ever I have it apart. ciao chris
My friend in Codroipo has a tank if you need it, call him.
Tel: +393282520821

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
I need to meet this person. Codroipo is 10 minutes away. I have 2 that I can think of mysef but thank you. To answer an original question, I think any coolant type line from OReilly or AutoZone will work in this application. ciao jc

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Throttlle body coolant line replacement

Well I took the line off and it turns out the plastic nipple is cracked just like Steve's, so I hammered the copper tube back in flush and reinstalled the line, so here's hoping it works. Also wondering if there is some type of tape that may go around the plastic nipple that would help, Teflon or some other specialty tape.
So thanks for all the help.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
I haven't seen it as it bunches up as you try to push the line back on. I dont know of any thing but did try plumbers putty and it stayed put. I dont know if the nipple adj did the trick or the putty helped but I had no problems. ciao jc

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
I cleaned a cracked port on the coolant tank with brake cleaner them epoxied it with brass insert in place. Lasted 100k miles in SoCal temps. I made sure I got epoxy down onto the brass tube-- the tank seems be a nylon blend so tough to get anything to stick to it

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts