Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 1986 Spider Veloce.
Not sure if the throttle body has ever been cleaned!
How should i do that? I know the location of it. It is on the passenger side next to the Air intake hose.
On my Bimmer and Audi I just unscrew the air intake, open the throttle flap and spray the throttle body cleaner in and clean it with a shop rag.
I know Italian cars are different and did not want to break anything.

Thank you very much

·
Administrator
17,066 Posts
You can use some carb cleaning spray if needed. Shouldn't need it regularly as only filtered air should be passing through it. Fuel is injected in the intake plenum near the cylinder head - the injectors are aimed at the back of the open intake valve.

·
Registered
8,126 Posts
best remove the big air hose, then the hard plastic hose bolted to the cam cover...
when all that is off you can carefully wipe the throttle flap with brake cleaner on a rag....especially around the surface where it closes on...open the throttle manually to get at it good

when it looks like this, you have done a good job;)
this is when I cleaned it 3 years ago, it is still shiny clean today. But it wasn't when I first inspected it, it was quite dirty.
throttle flap.JPG

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took care of it today. I removed the air intake hoses. You have to turn the ignition on (without turning the engine on) and out your foot on the gas pedal in order to open the Throttle body Flap/Valve. It was not as dirty as I thought it would be in a 34 years old car. Perhaps the previous owner had cleaned it before.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why did you need to turn the ignition on?
Otherwise the Throttle body flap would not open. The opening action of the Flap is triggered electronically by pushing down the gas pedal. In most of the European cars, like BMW it is like this.

·
Registered
8,126 Posts
The opening action of the Flap is triggered electronically by pushing down the gas pedal.
there is no such thing as an electronic operated flap on the spider
When you push the gas pedal, you are pushing a bunch of rods that mechanically open the flap.
Just pull on the throttle mechanism right at the throttle body and it opens
Alfa Linkage.jpg

If you were thinking that black thing, that's the throttle position sensor (TPS) it doesn't 'operate' the throttle, the throttle operates it.

well...unless someone has modified yours.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts