Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leaning towards five alarm, only working off pictures at this point. I know they are worse on the inside, and the outside doesn't look so great.

Thanks in advance for the coaching.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Looks like a cool project but wish it was closer to look at in person. I traded emails with the seller a few months back but can't find them now.

·
Premium Member
21,694 Posts
That's in my experience the place they rust the worst. After blasting or removing paint I'd expect it to look worse. There are repair panels for that area, check Classic Alfa and OKP. It's a complex area with several layers and the whole of the trunk body extension depends on it being strong. I've seen it act as a hinge, when weak, when loading the trunk.
Andrew

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You guys don't miss a trick, likely same car. Just not sure if it requires a lot of rust repair, or A LOT OF RUST REPAIR.

;-)

·
Premium Member
21,694 Posts
I just looked at a car that had angle iron welded in there, and I've owned Berlinas that had similar cobbles. It's a tough spot to fix, but common.
Andrew

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Andrew - appreciate you and @6alfas responses.

Apparently the floors are soft too, and I'm thinking rockers are probably needing attention.

All doable, but time (more so than metal panel cost) gets prohibitive.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
He says he has 5/6 pieces (NOS) to do the rockers so you have a good start there. Looks pretty straight. Weight the unknown with the known and come up with a price and a plan.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'd suggest asking for photos of the rear door jamb area from the sill plate you step over extending up to the lock area. I was pretty interested in a Berlina last summer relying only on photos. I asked for and received photos of the area described-totally rusted BUT you would not know by looking at the car with the doors closed. On that basis, I declined to go further. That area seems complex and with three or more layers, tabs, flanges and curves coming together, I decided the job was beyond my skill set.

You gotta know when to fold em and when to hold em

·
Premium Member
21,694 Posts
All these locations rust from the inside out. So what you see outside, invariably it's worse inside. Especially rockers. As I recently read regarding flying your plane into the clouds, "optimism is not a plan." I'd prepare for worse rather than better. It's good you're evaluating in advance.
Andrew

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sage advice gentlemen, thank you.

I'm deeply torn between the hundreds of hours this one will take and prospect of being priced out of one. Seems like there is very little available any more in the solid driver category for less than $20k, and I can't swing $30k at this point.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts