Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ALL - Anyone know this? I need to clean out the threads on the reflector boss and the best way I believe is to run a dull tap into the boss. Crud in the threads there should come out just as tailings would...

·
Registered
240 Posts
You want to run that by us again? A little more specificity would help. You mean the headlamp on a US or non-US car?

·
Administrator
17,516 Posts
Below is a sketch of the US version of headlights. Maybe that will help ID what threads you are trying to fix.

Assuming you have one of the screws you are asking about removed, it should be simple to ID its size/thread pitch.

I wouldn't use a 'dull tap'. What you want is a re-threading tap. Or find a new screw of the same size/threads and cut a groove along its length to make your own re-threading tap. The groove puts a sharp edge to scrape the old threads clean and gives the crap (in the old threads) a place to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eric - good idea about cutting lengthwise a screw... pitch is the question else I get to stand in home depot matching threads! Ciao

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
A very easy and simple and effective repair is to drill through the existing hole completely.

Use a longer machine screw,washer and nut and simply "sandwich" the lens against the housing. Also a good time to use some RTV or similar on the lens to seal it up.

I used little rubber washers when I did this and it is now air/water tight save for the rear seal imperfections on bulb holder.

·
Registered
243 Posts
6x1 bottoming tap will clean out residual plastic bits. Use proper lube, and work the tap in and out, cleaning out the flutes each time you back it out. 6x1 hardware is common at bicycle shops.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts