Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Basic question, I know, but couldn't find anything on it.

I am re installing my water pump and will be using bolts as replacements on the bottom 2 studs (what a PIA they were!):eek:

I think they need thread sealer.:confused:

Can I use gasket maker as the sealer or do I need special thread sealer.

Thanks for the help.

Vin

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,550 Posts
Best gasket maker is the ultragrey permatex, but I'm not going out on that limb to say it will work there:)

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Hi Vince,
Just to be safe, I'd use the thread sealer. Canadian Tire carries the Permatex brand.

·
Super Moderator
11,890 Posts
The Permetex Ultra Grey DOES work there.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,550 Posts
That's good enough for me:)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
For threadsealer, are you referring to something like Loctite? Might try something like the new Locktite tape, kinda like the plumbing teflon tape.

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For threadsealer, are you referring to something like Loctite? Might try something like the new Locktite tape, kinda like the plumbing teflon tape.
I'm no mechanic, but I will try.

I'm not looking for Locktite to keep the studs in place, but I believe these studs go all the way through the block and coolant could leak around the threads.

So in a a sense, yes, I am looking for "plumbers tape" that can withstand high heat and keep fluids from escaping.

Vin

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I'm no mechanic, but I will try.

I'm not looking for Locktite to keep the studs in place, but I believe these studs go all the way through the block and coolant could leak around the threads.

So in a a sense, yes, I am looking for "plumbers tape" that can withstand high heat and keep fluids from escaping.

Vin
Vince,
The Permatex "High Temperature Thread Sealent" I bought from Canadian Tire is designed (according to the package) specifically for this type of application.

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Vince,
The Permatex "High Temperature Thread Sealent" I bought from Canadian Tire is designed (according to the package) specifically for this type of application.
Hi Ken,

I picked some up last night. Expensive little tube isn't it!

Thanks for all the help from everyone.

Vin

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Hi Ken,

I picked some up last night. Expensive little tube isn't it!

Thanks for all the help from everyone.

Vin
Fortunitely, as soon as I get home I forget what I paid for anything to do with the Alfas :D

·
Registered
450 Posts
Permatex # 2. This should be applied to both sides of the water pump gasket to extend the gasket's life and to seal small surface imperfections. Apply sparingly. If Permatex is applied to the gasket there should be no need, in theory, to apply it to the bolt threads, since the gasket surrounds each bolt / stud.

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fortunitely, as soon as I get home I forget what I paid for anything to do with the Alfas :D
Hi Ken,

That is a great condition to have. I have it too!:D

But for the life of me, no matter how much time I spend with my wife, she has an incredibly stong immune system against the condition! :mad:

I have 5 packages arriving this week for my Spider and she get's the mail!:eek:

Vin

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
That sounds like a good news / bad news situation. Sounds like you are in for some fun :D

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bringing this back because the title is right, "Thread Sealer".

I need to seal the studs in the transmission that the bellhousing attaches to. As you know its a lot of work to get to those studs and I don't want to do it again any time soon, especially because I picked the wrong thread sealer.

How about yellow teflon tape (2x the density of white) or pink teflon tape (3X the density of white) for this application? They are both rated for oil.

At least with tape, I know I am getting 100% thread coverage.

As always, thank you for your help.

Vin

·
Super Moderator
11,890 Posts
As Richard Jemison mentioned, Permetex Ultra Grey in a oil free hole, on an oil free stud will do the job just fine. I have also use Permetex hydraulic fitting sealant on oil gallery threaded plugs in blocks drilled as 5 oilers. That works fine as well. Both are easy to get and have multiple uses.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
liquid teflon thread sealer. Put it on with a brush and screw it in. Teflon tape is for tapered pipe threads not straight bolt threads.

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
797 Posts
Cool, didn't realize there was a liquid teflon tape available. Would this work in place of anti-seize paste or vice versa?

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Anti seize would not work well as a sealant as it usually copper dust or nickel dust in oil/grease. Under the right conditions Teflon paste would prevent seizing but is not meant for the temps anti-seize can take.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Vince,

I have a container of this stuff: Oatey Real Tuff Thread Sealant

I guess I got it at a real hardware store over the years. It should be in any big box store in the plumbing supply section.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts