Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Personally, I'd want to know a lot more about it before plopping down that kind of money, and I don't think you'll be getting that info from the seller/dealer. He doesn't seem to know much judging by the ad. I'm pretty sure I've seen this car change hands before in rougher shape. The important undercarriage shots are missing, as is any photo documentation of the body/paintwork. The black engine bay is a definite red flag in my book - does not speak to quality work. Not a fan of the seat covers either, and it looks like the console has been butchered. Worst of all - most of this work looks fresh to me. Sorry to the seller if I'm misjudging this car, but my sense tells me it's a quick flip with a lot of rattle-can detailing. The paint does look good in the photos and the front suspension at least has been rebuilt. The new wheels are not impressive - I have Rotas on my GTV too, but these look brand new - a common ploy to tart up a car for sale. - Wanna sell an Alfa? = Shiny red paint, flashy new wheels = Ka-ching. 35k and change is not insignificant money for a GTV.

·
Premium Member
21,688 Posts
For long-distance buying, you really need a local inspection from a knowledgeable person, unless it's just such a screaming deal that condition doesn't matter. This car looks nice enough, but the comment above are really good ones. And recollect, you just cannot tell in small digital pics what a car looks like in the flesh. Further, I've seen so many cars that were cared for above the water line, so to speak, and just awful underneath. And that's a very expensive area to fix. Bertone cars are complex by nature, so serious metal work will cost money.

Not saying that's the case here, but it sure would be nice to have some trusted eyes on it. As above, a fair amount of nonstock stuff on the car, shaved marker lights, trim around the lower nose opening, colors wrong in the engine bay, changes to the interior. If you like all that, great. But stock condition generally is regarded as the most valuable; changes only take you downhill. Sporty springs change the ride, and height, some, are very common, but again, is that what you want?

Also, market was strong in 2014, is off right now, so to me this is a high price, especially considerint all the nonstock stuff. A very nice red 2000 just sold here in the Bay Area for $22K, which was low, but not $13K low.

Andrew

·
Registered
678 Posts
This is a horrible way to represent a car. No known accidents? its a 40 year old car who knows??

these guys havent done their research on these cars. they threw a quick and easy ad up on ebay with shiny pictures of just the outside. you need in depth photos of the underside, inner/outer rockers and dog legs. trunk area. the cross member below the radiator. under the glass. it goes on and on. not to mention the engine bay is black. thats a huge flag saying be weary. this is probably a slick body shop trying to make some quick cash.

if you want a collectors item this isnt even close. if you want a driver this is probably not the best place to start either. just be patient, talk to a lot of local alfisti that own these cars. for 35k you can buy an exceptional driver GTV. this ebay car however would be a nightmare.

·
Super Moderator
10,595 Posts
.....this ebay car however would be a nightmare.
Gee, I think that's a bit harsh. Sure, this car has a LOT of unknowns. But most cars on the Internet do - as Andrew wrote, "you really need a local inspection from a knowledgeable person". Having this GTV inspected may indeed determine that it is a "nightmare"; but then it could check out OK too.

Calling this car "restored" is kind if silly. To me, the word "restored" means "restored back to the way it left the factory", which this car certainly wasn't.

I agree that the black engine bay is a negative and I hate that "dipped in silicone" look. Those wide tires strike me as kind of "boy racer" silly too. But if a buyer is OK with these modifications, there's no harm.

Price: $35,499 does seem steep for a resto-mod '74 GTV. Cars sold by dealers often carry a price premium and this GTV is no exception. An offer in the high 20's (assuming the PPI checks out) is probably in order.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Is it a '73 ??
Would be interesting to check the build date on the door jamb plate.
My own '72 was built in July '72, yet it's newer than this one by 230 cars based on this GTV's serial number provided in the ebay description.

Were the rear bumper license plate lights gone by '73?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts