Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
It generally looks fairly nice. You should just buy it and start enjoying the driving experience.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Oil pressure hose is connected to engine block is pressure instrument not electrical senders in 101

Red cable you were asking is for oil sender for the oil temp which is in oil sump

Battery cable is thick and black and is going in protection

With the top down

For me, while it is not a 100 pointer, it is close enough for a driver.

Practically the same color as my first classic, 64.5 Mustang 289 with Pony interior.

·
Super Moderator
11,933 Posts
[3:04 AM, 5/2/2021] +48 734 425 000: 3. Oil pressure hose is connected to engine block is pressure instrument not electrical senders in 101
I assume these are the replies you have received back from the seller. He's right, the oil pressure gauge on a Giulia is mechanical, not electrical, and there is a hose & rigid pipe running from the side of the engine, through the firewall, to the gauge. But what we are saying is that this hose & pipe just isn't visible in this picture:

I see that the seller sent you a picture showing the oil pressure hose (copied below). That's great, but it isn't attached to the left side of the block, below the exhaust manifold, where it typically is on a 101. I'm not saying it wouldn't work that way; just that it is probably a later block, since it lacks the port on its left side.

I assume that 6Alfas answered your question about what a "PPI" is. Buying something in this price range without having an expert evaluation would be risky.

Vintagemilano said:
It generally looks fairly nice. You should just buy it and start enjoying the driving experience.
Vintagemilano is absolutely right - it is a fairly nice Giulia and no doubt will be enjoyable to drive. But that's not the question; the question is whether it's a $105,000 car. I'd want someone other than the seller, who has inspected it firsthand, to advise me on that.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Interesting I found an older thread here discussing Rafal Patek. He is the owner and performed the restoration.

LDH hasn't been on since 2012

Agree with the question is it a $105,000 car.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Hi Myklnz,

If you have some doubts about the price, why not go for a little gamble and return the ball into the camp of the seller? Give him the price that you are willing to pay for it, seen the failures or shortcomings of the car, and let him come over the bridge. Maybe you can gain 10.000 - 20.000 usd and have the car at a more interesting price so that you can live with the purchase without remorse.
If you miss the sale, be sure, there are, and always will be, other nice Giulietta spiders coming up for sale.
Just a thought.

Rgds,

Thierry

Btw, for determining a value of an object at a sale, there is a proverb: '... something is only worth what the mad man is willing to pay for it !'

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks Sprinty! I have gone back with what I believe is a reasonable offer. We shall see.

I am a bit mad though, so there's that....

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Myklnz,

You said: "" I am a bit mad though, so there's that.... ""

Aren't we all ? Thanks to our madnesses these cars still exist today.

Rgds,

Thierry

·
Super Moderator
11,933 Posts
Some driver-quality classics are climbing quicker than trailer queens

This just in! See article published today by Hagerty: Some driver-quality classics are climbing quicker than trailer queens | Hagerty Media

PSk said:
Looks way better than just a driver to me. The only issue appears to be if the engine is of the correct type
Well, yea. That and the price.

In looking through the photos again, it's as if one restorer did the body, interior and suspension and then someone else did the engine. Most of the non-original bits are underhood. None of the things we're nit-picking would diminish the car's driving experience; it's just that for $105K, I'd expect to be able to win some concours trophies.

Reactions: Barn101

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
The longer I haunt the BB, the more I realize just how subjective the term "Concours" happens to be.

While I am "restoring" my '64 Giulia Spider to be as accurate as a born-White-now-Black, twin-Weber and alternator-equipped Normale can be, it will forever be an Abnormale, with which I am fine. However, I have seen extremely-well-detailed, restored cars take "gold" at events, though there were numerous deviations from OEM "settings", especially when it comes to the color or finishes of fasteners and bright work; black oxide, white zinc, SS and/or chromed.

I figure that I'll be just fine as long as I keep the Spider somewhere between Pebble Beach and Amelia Island.

Ray

Reactions: PSk

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Just about anywhere in the US will be between the two!

I'll be in Amelia Island on May 23rd. See you there?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Frankly, to me, for that price they'd need to include Sophia Loren!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Buying from abroad is a pretty big risk. I have always had the attitude that the best money wasted is on a plane ticket. Not really an option on this unit with Covid. I've bought 3 Alfas and went and looked at each one. I looked at few that I didn't buy too. Craftsmen in Poland are good. Some are also crafty too. This price is up therein Veloce territory too. Just my .02.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts