Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a oppurtunity to purchase a 1987 Milano for 150.00. I don't know what series (gold, silver, plat). It hasn't been started for about 1 year and the windows will not go up or down. Reading on this forum, this may be a loose ground.

Any thoughts?

Thanks....Dave...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Added info

This Milano would be my 1st Alfa. I have always had a liking to the Alfa line for many, many years. I don't much about the Milano except for what I am reading on this forum.

Dave...

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
An 87 Milano was my first Alfa and they are very fun to drive and of course very unique. Do you know why this car will not start and do you work on cars? These are some very important questions for if you do not know the problem and do not work on cars and I can assume you don't work on Alfas you can be looking at thousands of dollars to get it running. Of course there are always the cases where someone got a car running with just a hose or fuse and away they went.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re:

The person selling the car cannot remember if it ran. It was their nephew's and they don't know how to reach him. Does have a clean title. I have never worked on Alfas, but, have worked on many American cars and Japanese cars like Nissans, Toyotas, Suziki's, etc.

I see there are still parts available for the car. I am going over a spend a couple of hours trying to see why the car won't run.

The body and interior seem to be in good condition.

Just wanted to get an idea if I ended up spending a couple of thousand on rebuilding the engine, doing electrical, etc if the car's ride is something that would be nice on the highway.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Is it a five speed or auto? The auto's are slugs until you reach highway speeds and the five speeds are gems. What part of the country are you in? You may be able to get a knowledgible bb member to have a peek at it with you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
5-speed

The car is a 5-speed.

The car is located in Lewiston, Idaho. Lewiston is on the border of Idaho and Washington. Cross the Snake River and you are in Washington.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
The body and interior seem to be in good condition. .
Then $150 bucks is not a "risk", since you could actually make money by parting it out...
Just wanted to get an idea if I ended up spending a couple of thousand on rebuilding the engine, doing electrical, etc if the car's ride is something that would be nice on the highway.
Yes, these cars are nice on the highway. The Milano is also one of the Alfas that people favor as a dual purpose car: street and track. Of course, I am referring to the manual shift models. (The automatics are not as common.) If you are going to rebuild the engine anyway, then it is an opportunity to do some upgrades. These are nice drivers to begin with, and with some upgrades, they are even more fun. Determine if you are looking at a 2.5 liter engine, or a 3 liter. (If it's a 3 liter, Milano Verde, don't hesitate to pick it up!) Then, have a look at the threads on this BB that talk about those specific engines.

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
No matter what the car needs $150 is a bargain. The wheels itself are worth more than that. Go for it and buy it without any hesitation.
If you realize the repair will cost you a lot, then you can part it out and make much more than you paid for it.

Giorgio

·
Registered
939 Posts
Buy it!!! and welcome to Alfa Fever!!! $150 is not a large investment. Hope you have a warm place to work on it this winter.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
If its been sitting that long it would be a good idea to change the timing belt before you try to start it. No experience with reviving dead alfas, but my old turbo dodge sat for a long time before i got it and the timing belt broke the first time it was cranked (doesnt hurt those eogines though. :))

·
Registered
393 Posts
Well...?

Don't leave us hanging. Did you get the car started? Did you buy the car? Let the saga continue.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've had an 87 gold for over four years and drive it almost daily. I do my own work which to date includes new driveline donuts and bearings, timing belt, window regulator etc. I also live in Spokane. They are great cars but require some attention. Relying on a shop can be very expensive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: 87 Milano

Still trying to get it. Someone else has offered him a little more, but I told him we had a deal. So...he has decided not to sell it until he figures out if he really wants to sell it now....maybe 'too much interest'; maybe he wants more for the car that no one knows the condition. Frustrating to say the least.

I will let you know thew outcome.

Dave...

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
If you could send us some pictures, we'd probably be able to figure out exactly what it is and what you're getting into.

Something to think about.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's mine!

Just paid for it! I will pick it up this weekend and I'll post pictures after I get it. Hope it's a simple fix....like a battery (I know, I'm dreaming).

I will probably need some help on identifing what series it is. All I know right now it is a 2.6 and it's silver.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts