Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
For my sins I decided to remove the underseal and gunge from my Monti, I considered a long while whether to do this or not but on carefull inspection found that although the the under coatings seemed intact there was some surface rust just stating. This is not a job for the faint hearted with limited space (me) I scraped off the old underseal and a flexable coating , then shot blasted, not a pleasent job. The results can be seen in the attached pictures, I then put on two coats of Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 a rust converter just to make sure There were no small spots of rust left. The only place I have a problem is the bottom of the wheel arches, these will be tackled at a later date. I will then put on a high zinc primer.
Now I was going to re-underseal but after all my hardwork fancy a nice smooth finish, yes I know it's not the original finish but I can always underseal at a later date. Can anybody suggest a suitable hard wearing product or what have other owners used and more importantly how has it stood up after a year or so. I was thinking maybe stone chip but have heard that some react withe the zinc coating and also it is normaly a dimpled finish.
Your thoughts , experiences please.
Regards Geoff.

Attachments

·
Registered
839 Posts
This looks really good mate! Just paint it Back, I would not worry about the underseal / flexible coating. Not that anyone is going to run the car for a 100,000km. That's just my opinion...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
robo 330
Thanks for those kind words, I know very little about paints which is why I have asked for people's opinion. After reading blogs about people having there paint peel off because they had used the wrong product over the base coat I figured I should get some advice.
I contacted Bilt Hamber and explained my plan, they told me using a zinc primer over the hydrate 80 was a waste of time has the zinc should go straight onto bare metal and advised I used there epoxy mastic coating, it's a two part product that you have to mix together but it dries hard.
Anybody used an epoxy mastic? pro's and con's please.
Must say I am surprised I haven't had more response to this thread as Monti people are normally so helpful.
Regards Geoff

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Hi Geoff,

The under body looks great! Having considered your dilemma for a couple of days now, it seems that the intended use of your car probably has more to do with the best choice. Keep in mind that when the Montreal bodies were new they were totally dipped in a 'state of the art' coating tank, prior to being painted. If you intend to drive the car in the rain and snow you would probably want to go with an industrial strength type of under-coating system. I don't like the sound of "epoxy mastic" because it reminds me of what a previous owner coated or rather 'slathered' on the bottom of an old C.I. 2000 that we once owned long ago. He was proud of his work but I think the can he showed me actually said 'Roofing Mastic'.

If you intend to keep the car as an 'occasional car' for use on nice days, for shows and get-together's; where it will not be subjected to rain, sleet and snow (are you really in the UK?) a good quality automotive satin black finish would probably be fine. I drive this one often!:smile2:

Montreal bottom.jpg

Montreal belly.jpg
Whichever way you decide to go, I wish you good success with your restoration.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
My god, that must have taken ages ! But what a result....I bow to your skills and persistence !

Must be nice to know exactly what state the body is in...nothing hiding there.

Perhaps spray on a few coats of Frost's Chassis Black ? Should be quite durable. They can advise on the correct surface prep and undercoat required.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
My god, that must have taken ages ! But what a result....I bow to your skills and persistence !

Must be nice to know exactly what state the body is in...nothing hiding there...
In keeping with the general theme of this thread, I must confess that when blessed with this Montreal, it had previously been in storage for over 30 years and the under body had been "Dry Ice Blasted" to remove all of the old undercoating material. It had subsequently been painted as well, all that I had to do was attend to a few details.

The "Dry Ice Blasting" is pretty neat if you have never seen it done:

Mark

·
Registered
839 Posts
This looks really good mate! Just paint it Back, I would not worry about the underseal / flexible coating. Not that anyone is going to run the car for a 100,000km. That's just my opinion...

·
Registered
468 Posts
Geoff, firstly: please send an other email address, I sent 12 mails
with no luck, all came back: box full... :wink2: I got your last one ! hmmm...

secondly I send the "bottom-cover answer" here with some more photos in seperate mails...

Dear Hannelore,
Thank you for your reply and pic's they are excellent, Yes I agree black straps will be best. I will let you know when they arrive.

Your Monti looks fantastic, much love and time must have gone into it to make it look so good. Did you paint under the car? if so do you have a picture and what product/paint did you use? If you look on the abb forum you will see I have started a thread 'Thoughts for down under'.... but no replies at the moment. What was the condition of your Monti when you purchased it? Thank you again for your efforts I hope one day to meet you both on a Monti meeting.
Kind Regard Geoff.

my replay:
Dear Geoff, many thanks, money is already on account, see my other email.

Yes, I saw the mail on forum but I am sooo busy that I am doing just montreal since 2 weeks.

We were driving the car the first 3 years, made the long restoration and in attachment you can read the first stadium of our ownership (Bruce page: personal story).

Our bottom cover is like a glas paint what is resestent of stones etc. and you can see where to repair when a little damage is found. The black stuff what was under the cars for decades was not our decision - is there a little hole - there is a little/big rust...! I try to show you a few pics, but they are very large - I will reduce them. Since 25 years we never used again the old bottom cover on all our cars.

Is it this info you mean? I hope it helps... ;-)

Yes, it would be great to meet sometimes. In september we will go to South England for some days and hope to see much in short time.

Thank you and let me see some more pics in the future.
Cheers
Hannelore

2 other mails follow.
Let us talk Geoff... :)

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all for your input so far. Ironblock/Mark your car looks fantastic as does Hannelore and Dirk's and gives me inspiration to keep going
Mark you did well to get a car that had most of the hard graft done, I still have more to do under the centre of the car but am now investigating the dry ice option, that looks good.
The car will not be a daily driver but would like to use it plenty in the summer months, so this being England it is likely to see some rain, and in this country in the winter they are throwing salt on the roads, and in the summer they just love to be stone chipping them.
I am still undecided what I will be putting back on and am seeking some advice from professional restorers. I will then do a few tests on some spare metal before committing to the car. I will keep this thread informed of the results.
Mark I have some reservations has to the car being dipped at the factory as I found that the coating you refer to was nice and thick on the easy to get to flat area's but the harder to reach area's it was extremely thin and came off very easily, like it had been sprayed on.
Hannelore I will be sending an email direct to your personal address.
Regards Geoff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts