Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that have decided against run-flat tires, what did you do as a safety precaution?

Leave a can of Fix-a-Flat and / or a tire compressor in your trunk?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
16,725 Posts
As long as you don't tear a sidewall, as did a friend of mine with his new Boxster S on his first trip with it a long way from home in a remote area. The very low profile tires are really susceptible for that problem. Had to drive home at low speed, no new tires of that size anywhere around where they were.

Our Chevy SS has very low profile tires, but at least it has room for a real full sized spare, no goo or run flats.

Our Alfas have real full sized spares, no run flats, not low speed undersized emergency tires, plus one set of winter tires on original rims; however, being retired, don't generally need the snow tires nowadays.

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
+1 on the slime kit.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Bmw Z4 no spare from the factory so I have a compressor that plugs into cig lighter that has a long power cord,. can of fix a flat, and the T kit that plugs a tire just in case.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Doesn’t every Alfa owner own two sets of wheels and tires, one set for winter run flats and one set for summer tires? In summer just throw one of the run flats wheels in the trunk with bottle jack. Pretty old school huh?
In winter I don’t carry a spare with the run flats mounted.
Sure you can mention price, my set of summer Yokohama advan tires and sparco wheels cost me $1500. After all the money you spent on a nice new Alfa, you really shouldn’t go cheap on tires, convenience, and safety.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,625 Posts
Doesn’t every Alfa owner own two sets of wheels and tires, one set for winter run flats and one set for summer tires?
Not since back when my dad used to have a set of winter wheels and tires he kept in the garage, no. And he would've said, "It's the 1970s...what are run flats?"

·
Registered
955 Posts
I actually use the Yokohama advans (280 utqg) for track days too. Run flats suck on the track (500 utqg).

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Cell phone and tow company number on memory dial.

You'll never need to make that call, statistically.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Cell and a tow are very handy.....except when there is no cell service or local tow available. I live out west and cell service between mountain ranges and valleys is sometimes not available. And then if you do get a tow to the nearest small 500 person town, you think they might have a pirrelli run flat 225/45/17?

·
Premium Member
16,725 Posts
"You'll never need to make that call, statistically"

Except when it does happen and you have no cell service. LOL, MIchael, you are just too much into electronics as the cure-all for all human ills and problems.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Never had a flat tire while driving. Never. I've had deflating tires but never needed to change one beside the road. Always drivable.

Runflats have very limited range. More limited than cellphone range in fact.

The fact that you will not likely be able to find a correct replacement for a damaged runflat argues in favour of not fitting them in the first place.

Besides, many women drivers have no chance of changing a modern giant rim and tire. Cellphone.

Spare tires just make no economic sense. Run flats are a solution looking girl a problem.

Spare tires time out after ten years. Just try and find a replacement donut tire....

I could go on,

·
Premium Member
16,725 Posts
Just your own opinion, lol.

Have to admit, I don't know anyone with a performance car who wants run flat tires.

My wife can change an Alfa tire, BTW.

·
Premium Member
16,725 Posts
Kind of neat. It has to be plugged into 12V when using I assume? How noisy?

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haven't received yet.

Plugged into a 12V.

Just ordered tonight.

·
Registered
955 Posts
The air compressor plus the slime/fix a flat too?
Ive never used the combo since I usually carry a regular spare.
Any comments from someone who has actually used the fix a flat combo?

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
From what I have read the downside to Slime is that it introduced through the valve stem which is part of the tpms and kind of has the possibility of creating issues with tpms. Just a thought. Had run flats on my girlfriends BMW M235i, in a year we destroyed at least three replacements due to the meticulous roads in Massachusetts, switched out to non run flats which are much more forgiving when dropping a tire into a pot hole.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
@91spiderNV, don't forget a lug wrench, and maybe a block of wood for under the bottle jack in case the side of the road is soft. Perhaps I am tempting fate, but when I ditched the RFTs on our 18 Giulia Ti Q4, all I added was a small HF 12 volt compressor a tire plug kit and a pressure gauge that (all) fit neatly in the cubby under the trunk mat.

·
Registered
955 Posts
So any experience with actually using the slime and fix a flat? It doesn’t seem anyone has actual experience with this stuff but it looks easy to use via YouTube videos.
Piece of wood? I carry a 2ton floor jack.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts