Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought used black carpet to put in my '87 Spider Veloce (it has badly faded brown carpet).

The carpet looks good, but I would like to thoroughly clean it before I go about installing it... more than just a vacuum job.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Short of going to a professional detailer, try "Tuff Stuff". It's a foam type cleaner. It's the only product that I have found to gently clean a carpet, including stains and spots that seemed too ingrained to be removed. You will need a brush with stiff bristles any you probably want to apply a more than one coating, and be patient. It works well on both light and dark colors.

Best regards,

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
. i work at a car dealership as a salesperon..so i can use some cool stuff here..like the steam cleaner..took mine out ( the rug) shampoo it, then steam cleaned it...very clean.. lots of dirt came out of my rug.. then let dry..:)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Last year I had my Suburban cleaned by professional carpet cleaners. A three man crew came to my office and took about 1 1/2 hours to steam clean the carpet and upholstery. I got charged only $50. I have also talked to other carpet cleaning companies and I could drop a vehicle off at their office and have it professionally steam cleaned. This might be cheaper than taking it to a detailer and easier than doing it yourself.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all... I do have Tuff Stuff, but I wondered if there was a more thorough way to clean. I like the idea of having the carpet steam cleaned (I don't have a steam cleaner and I don't have access to one).

I think there's a steam cleaning place near me - I'll give them a call to see what they'd charge. Good idea!

·
Registered
429 Posts
A few years back I bought an old Dodge Dakota that had been used as a farm truck for 10 years. The carpet was crusted with mud and ?. I wound up taking out the carpet hosing it down in the driveway and scrubbing it with Tide. After about 1/2 hour of alternating scrubbing and rinsing, the mud stopped flowing out of the carpet and it wound up looking really good. Then I did actually leave it on the porch railing for a day or so to dry. Whole truck smelled mountain fresh for a few weeks:D

As an add bonus I found Tide works great in the rental home carpet steam cleaners too. In fact it works much better than the stuff they sell to use in them, and it's a lot cheaper too.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
I used a unit that I rented at a local grocery store. I had to clean my house carpets and after that took it out to my spider. It made the carpets look great.
Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts