Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 122 Posts

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I'm done with CI, but for a different reason than those mentioned above.

My interest is in vintage Italian cars, not modern-day Lamborghinis, Ferraris, nor God-forbid, BMWs and Porsches (you see these on the streets in Monterey/Bay Area all throughout the week anyway), which CI proudly stuffs down my throat and charges me for it. I'm not into airplanes either, nor boats. I'm looking for a focused event, and it seems the Alameda show is it, with a much smaller crowd and non-commercial atmosphere to boot!
Hi Pat,

Couldn't have said it better myself and thank you for posting all those wonderful pictures from both the CI and vintage races!

A focused show is very important too IMHO, vintage Italian cars only. Although I do like vintage airplanes at focused events like the Reno Air races and such. I have nothing against the modern Italian exotica as well. Heck as you stated one can see these types of cars almost any day of the week at a show room or simply driving around, especially here in the SF Bay Area.

Best regards,

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
I will post my response to this discussion. :) This year was my wifes and I trip to Concorso. I had an open mind and was concerned about how all of it was going to come out. The lay out by marque was well organized, regardless of the autocross markings. :) The hospitality tents were marginal. The organizers could have combined some of them saving a few dollars on tent rental and increasing traffic to the others. I appreciated the hot coffee when I hardly got any at the hotel I was staying at. Another story for another time.

Amazing how many Italian cars there are in this country when you get them all gathered up into one location. The BMW's should have gone to the track. I didn't like the distraction, as I was with the impression it was to be Italian cars only.

There was the food and liquor issues. Was there only one tent for the public and one tent for the Gold for getting food? The wife and I ate early to beat the crowds and it was a smart move. I was pleased with the price and the amount we both recieved. Maybe it was because we went early. :) Later on, I looked at the tent and said there was no way I was going in, even for a coke. I did manage to find some alcohol vendors where I could get the wife a soda and the price was reasonable. Usually you get scalped at these events, which leads me to the next issue. The price for a beer is unreasonable even if it is Peroni. I won't do that ever again. Give me a Bud or Coors for half the price and twice the size.

The fashion show was terrific. I posted the pictures to my commercial website. If you want to see the pictures, send me a private message and I will send you the link. The cars across the stage was up close and personal if you were down front, which was a nice touch. Usually you are 50 feet away. I still haven't figured out how some of those cars got across the stage. There were some fine cars that should have crossed, that didn't.

The wife and I didn't bring sunscreen or hats as we forgot them. We were red when we left, inspite of the cold breeze off of the ocean. That is most likely because we were on a plateau with out any shade. Someone should have been handing out free samples of SPF35. I am sure they could have sold some!

The Vendors should have been in the middle! I only saw 4 vendors the entire day. That is sad because it was to far to get to the end to see them all.

It wasn't perfect, but enjoyable. Plenty of room and access was easy. I just don't see how this can be improved because of the lack of shade and grass which is what Concorso started out with, its a hard venue to follow when you transition to concrete.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Concorso wasn't as bad as all the above comments. Got there early, had a nice cup of coffee and danish in the hospitality tent, ate lunch early, met Jay Leno, left early, before the weather kicked in. Probably did about 3 circuits around the area and vendors. Hung out in nice sunny Monterey for the rest of the day.

I've done Concorso for the past 4 years and realized that its a little boring looking at parked cars, Italian or other wise. I'll probably spend my time the next years at the Historic Races, and just driving my own Alfa around the area chasing around Ferraris. The most fun was the drive from Reno up over Ebetts pass and Hwy 4, and on the way back we hit Sonora Pass and Hwy 108

·
Registered
830 Posts
Concorso wasn't as bad as all the above comments. Got there early, had a nice cup of coffee and danish in the hospitality tent, ate lunch early, met Jay Leno, left early, before the weather kicked in. Probably did about 3 circuits around the area and vendors. Hung out in nice sunny Monterey for the rest of the day.

I've done Concorso for the past 4 years and realized that its a little boring looking at parked cars, Italian or other wise. I'll probably spend my time the next years at the Historic Races, and just driving my own Alfa around the area chasing around Ferraris. The most fun was the drive from Reno up over Ebetts pass and Hwy 4, and on the way back we hit Sonora Pass and Hwy 108
well alist some one like it,?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Alfa BBers in current issue of SCM!

Just received the November issue of Sports Car Market in the mailbox, and whaddayaknow? Page 62 has a review of the Concorso Italiana, and in the main photo is Racer X's black '69 GTV and 101/105 Guy's '68 Giulia Super :D Also, FANALONE is mentioned as receiving a class award. :)

Gusss I'll have to ask Jeff, Randy and Adan to autograph my issue at Best of F&I :rolleyes:

Interestingly, SCM's reviewer wasn't as harsh in his criticism of the event as most of the posts here would assume. Perhaps the author trotted off to The Quail post-haste? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
830 Posts
Just received the November issue of Sports Car Market in the mailbox, and whaddayaknow? Page 62 has a review of the Concorse Italiana, and in the main photo is Racer X's black '69 GTV and 101/105 Guy's '68 Giulia Super :D Also, FANALONE is mentioned as receiving a class award. :)

Gusss I'll have to ask Jeff, Randy and Adan to autograph my issue at Best of F&I :rolleyes:

Interestingly, SCM's reviewer wasn't as harsh in his criticism of the event as most of the posts here would assume. Perhaps the author trotted off to The Quail post-haste? :rolleyes:
Yes see you @ best F&I

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
Went to Barns & Noble to find that issue, but came up empty. Would love to see your copy @ Bo'F&I !!
Randy

·
9,944 Posts
Randy:

It's the November issue - mine just arrived in the mail on Saturday - so it may not be on the newsstands yet.

Keith Martin knows where his advertising dollars come from - he'd be nuts come out and say that the Marina Airport is a "windblown wasteland". The article does dance around the issue of moving from grass to concrete. But yea, it is fairly nuanced in its comments.

·
Registered
830 Posts
What are you bringing to F&I- or are you and your posse bringing EVERYTHING :eek:

Would love a ride in your GTE :D
Yes Everything is comming out, and Yes the GTE you can drive, by the way next time you may want to joint So cal TT 2009, we just did 2008 over 560 miles event it was cool to see 3 Lancias run together

·
Registered
159 Posts
They are only in it for the money. After it being at the earlier golf course, and then going to the Army base golf course, this was a definite disappointment. No cars would sure make them wake up. I understand they will continue with this airport site, but the Maserati, and Ferrari clubs are not happy either. No cars, no show. Views of the mountains...Bah!!

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Great Moments in Weaseling (sorry, Nuance)

Randy:

It's the November issue - mine just arrived in the mail on Saturday - so it may not be on the newsstands yet.

Keith Martin knows where his advertising dollars come from - he'd be nuts come out and say that the Marina Airport is a "windblown wasteland". The article does dance around the issue of moving from grass to concrete. But yea, it is fairly nuanced in its comments.
“Moving Concorso Italiano from the lush splendor of the Bayonet and Blackhorse Golf Courses to the Marina Airport must have been a tough call, Granted, the move was forced by condo construction on the links, but while exotic cars and the green of a golf course naturally complement each other, a long stretch of tarmac is a more difficult match-up. On the plus side, the traffic and parking were much improved over years past, and the vintage airplanes on display were a nice touch.”

Other than that, how did you enjoy the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

·
9,944 Posts
Traffic at the 2009 Concorso

“Moving Concorso Italiano from the lush splendor of the Bayonet ........the traffic and parking were much improved over years past...”
I predict that traffic at NEXT year's Marina Airport Concorso is going to be improved even further.

You have to admire the organizers' creativity in addressing the traffic issue by decreasing demand, rather than increasing supply (tounge firmly in cheek).

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I predict that traffic at NEXT year's Marina Airport Concorso is going to be improved even further...
I'll look forward to the reports on next year's Concorso from those who attend. We'll be at the Alfa corrall at Laguna Seca with chairs, table, coolers and umbrella. :cool:

If I can't afford the Quail and have to be on tarmac, I'd rather be looking at racing cars on a track than being at an airstrip with Allante's, BMW's, Corvette's, Shelby's...oh, and some Eyetalian cars thrown in.

Better weather and food at Laguna Seca, too :p

·
Registered
254 Posts
I had the good fortune to start my Monterey weekend on the weekend before- I wanted to see the "Pre-Historics" at Laguna Seca (very worthwhile!). With a bit of extra time in the mid-week, and after visiting the Automobilia auction in Seaside, I drove to the Marina Airport Wednesday morning. Besides seeing the site as it was being set up, I marvelled at the bleakness.

And, just for S&G, I then went to the Bayonet golf course and had a delightful breakfast in the Clubhouse there. The view, as always was spectacular, with the greens and blue sky opulent. The only construction going on was the replacement of one green south of the clubhouse, and the installation of reclaimed water irrigation (purple pipes). There wasn't any sign of condos under construction that I could see; there was, however a great deal of available golf course.

Cheers!

JB

·
Registered
1 Posts
My first CI was at the last one at Quail Lodge. I've missed one since. I won't be going to the airport again. There weren't rest areas and people were not able to relax and visit behind their cars because of the wind in the afternoon.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Looks like they've heard all our complaints...here is what they're sending around. Hopefully they're not moving it to a Walmart parking lot...

Thank you for your email and your interest in Concorso Italiano. In response to our client's requests we are currently speaking with several other venues and will be announcing our plans for 2009 in the next few months through our we site and e-Newsletters.

Concorso Italiano 2008

Warm Regards,
Samantha Tobias
Event Manager

41 - 60 of 122 Posts