Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Almost everyone I spoke to without exception did not like the location for this year's Concorso held at the city of Marina Airport. The tarmac of the airport does not compare to the pretty green grass and nice pine trees of a well kept golf course. There seemed to be a notable absence of cars this year as well.

My vote is that I won't be going back to the Concorso again until it moves locations to a nicer, greener setting.

Any thoughts, opinions, predictions on what is going to happen for the Concorso for next year?

TIA.

·
Registered
79 Posts
concorso disappointment

I found the new venue : dusty, windy, and just plain boring. I had heard that the golf course was being developed into hotels and therefore unavailable. I drove by it on the way back and it is still there, and the fairway sprinklers were on! Unless they go back to Black Horse , I won't be wasting my money next year.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I found the new venue : dusty, windy, and just plain boring. I had heard that the golf course was being developed into hotels and therefore unavailable. I drove by it on the way back and it is still there, and the fairway sprinklers were on! Unless they go back to Black Horse , I won't be wasting my money next year.
Well from the lancia side I also will not go back in till they move it some were else, also i want to make a comment about the secuity officers in the air port, they treated people like they were an inconvenience when it come to move a plane across the event, rude, very sarcastic bout telling people to move out the way, they were moving a plane at the same time people were goin to stage, they were jack a??, to me and alot other people. this people do not care about the event and they do not realize that we spend alot money and time away to make the show attractive,

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Almost everyone I spoke to without exception did not like the location for this year's Concorso held at the city of Marina Airport. The tarmac of the airport does not compare to the pretty green grass and nice pine trees of a well kept golf course. There seemed to be a notable absence of cars this year as well.

My vote is that I won't be going back to the Concorso again until it moves locations to a nicer, greener setting.

Any thoughts, opinions, predictions on what is going to happen for the Concorso for next year?

TIA.
Tim,

It was great meeting you there. But I'm with you; I won't be there next year if it's at the same location. I'd say the venue was like a Wal-Mart parking lot, except the average Wal-Mart parking lot has some trees. I'd rather do the Historics on Friday than sit on featureless airport tarmac. If they can't move it, they should just shoot it and put it out if its misery.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Tim,

...I won't be there next year if it's at the same location. I'd say the venue was like a Wal-Mart parking lot, except the average Wal-Mart parking lot has some trees. I'd rather do the Historics on Friday than sit on featureless airport tarmac. If they can't move it, they should just shoot it and put it out if its misery.
Well said! This was my first Concorso, and it is great to have a show and shine-type event where the average Joe (or should it be Giuseppe :rolleyes:) can bring his or her car out. Also, it seems to be the only event where significant numbers of us all can come together and chat- too difficult to find people at the Monterey Historics and the auctions.

The "hospitality" tent was overrun with ants, which was odd, as there was NO food, only OJ and coffee- and we got there early! Noever found lunch, but a BBer saved the culinary day for us.

They could've done autocrosses or drives, out on the runways, but didn't. Also, I like T6 Texan's, but hoped for P51s, a B17, Corsairs, etc. That would've been as easy to rectify as inviting the Confederate Air Force to join the party.

Hope it gets fixed.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Last time I went to CI was with my Alfa in '02. The only pic I have is one lifted off the web as I did not have my camera. As I recall my little football was surrounded by Testa Rossa's, a T33, a 246P, Maserati 300S, Ciasitallia 202, Ferrari TDF, etc. A lovely venue plus miles of rows of neat cars and interesting booths.

I'll NEVER go back to last weeks parking lot affair. - George

Attachments

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tim,

It was great meeting you there. But I'm with you; I won't be there next year if it's at the same location. I'd say the venue was like a Wal-Mart parking lot, except the average Wal-Mart parking lot has some trees. I'd rather do the Historics on Friday than sit on featureless airport tarmac. If they can't move it, they should just shoot it and put it out if its misery.
Dito here Ed, it was a great pleasure meeting you in person and seeing your wonderful 1.6 HF Coupe, it is simply an outstanding example! I was very pleased to see you and Adan in your Fulvia coupes representing the Lancia marque in a strong way. Your point is very well taken about the Wal Mart parking lot, at least there are trees there!

My sister and brother in law tagged along with me this year to the Concorso, their very first one, and they told me that they really enjoyed it (even for being non-Italian car people). However they did tell me that they won't come again unless it moves back on grass to a nicer setting.

I guess the next shows to look forward to are the All Italian Day in Alameda, Ca and the Best of France & Italy in So-Cal. I almost went to the latter last year but couldn't get away from work, hopefully I can make it to at least one of these shows this year. At least they are held on greener setting and from what I understand there are typically a lot of nice owners/cars that show up as well.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
...I guess the next shows to look forward to are the All Italian Day in Alameda, Ca and the Best of France & Italy in So-Cal. I almost went to the latter last year but couldn't get away from work, hopefully I can make it to at least one of these shows this year. At least they are held on greener setting and from what I understand there are typically a lot of nice owners/cars that show up as well.
I really hope you make it down for BoFI this year. Woodley Park isn't the 18th fairway at Pebble, but it's the Garden of Eden next to Marina Airport. And there are always plenty of great people and nice cars--any of yours would have plenty of company; the 164, the Milano, or the Scorpion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No grass, no go!!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe the organizers who came on stage and annouced "we chose this beautiful new venue in part due to the beautiful views of mountains...." WHAT BEAUTIFUL VIEW DID THEY SEE????? They must have inhaled too much exhaust up on stage. The photos from previous years are so pleasing and make the cars look even more special when displayed on grass, not to mention the vacation/relaxed atmosphere the golf course created. Now, it just looks like a used car lot. No grass, no go!!!!!!!!! No grass, no go!!!!!!!!! No grass, no go!!!!!!!!!

"No grass, no go!" is my new campaign slogan for the CI.
Thanks for your support. ;-)

·
Registered
52 Posts
From what I was told there will be another event next year to replace CI. All of the the events on the Monterey weekend have grown over the past few years except CI, due to it's poor managment. There needs to be an event of this type were not every car has to score 95 points.

It would be nice to have a British/ French/German show on Thursday and an Italian show on Friday using the same location and offering two day tickets. I agree with the other posts that we need the green back.

·
Registered
63 Posts
All interesting comments. I took my Fulvia to CI last year, but chose not to go this year, largely because of the location.

I'll put in a good word for the Alameda show ... always enjoyable, and no fee if you show your car! So much for $75+ at Concorso!

Also I'm hoping to make BoFI this year ... went a few years back with my 124 coupe, and that's also a good event.

Peter

·
Registered
971 Posts
I was similarly disappointed by the venue, the single catering choice, and the limited attendance - no rare prototypes or anything like that this year... it was blustery, the food was mediocre for the price, and even the on-site auction was lame with all those ex-rental mustangs and a bunch of muscle cars - the only Italian cars were that white '74 spider that's been listed here and a monoposto Giulietta.

The only cool thing at the show aside from a pair of 124 wagons was the new Fiat 500 that had recently completed a cross-country tour. The gaggle of BMWs (many from Europe) that were doing the California tour were pretty cool too, but they were also at the Historic Races.

·
Super Moderator
9,984 Posts
I have attended CI for many years, going back to the times it was at the Quail Lodge. And, yes I was there again in 2008.

Having talked to a lot of people, I don't think there is any controversy that the Marina Airport location is just awful. Those of you who weren't there need only look at the pictures posted here on the BB to see how bleak it was.

What people aren't mentioning is the weather! The morning was OK, but around lunchtime the clouds blew in, the wind came up, and it was miserable. I likened it to holding a concours on an ice floe off Antartica - flat, boring, windy, and COLD. I was also there on Thursday afternoon to check out the auction, and the weather was the same. The locals told me that this area is generally this way in mid-August; e.g., last Friday wasn't just a fluke of bad weather.

So, I think the question is less about taking a poll of who liked it and who hated it, and more asking what will we do next year? I like having an event where I can drive my own car onto the field, carry my own picnic and bottle of wine, and socialize with my friends. Sure, I could go to the Quail (assuming I want to pay the $$) but I can't do any of those things. So, what alternatives can we come up with?

Do any locals know of a park where we could hold an "All Italian Day" / "Best of France & Italy" -type event? And, who will volunteer to organize it, since this means assuming responsibility for insurance, traffic, clean-up, etc?

I can't speak for the Ferrari / BMW / Porsche / Lamborghini people, but I kind of doubt they would go to the Marina Airport a second time. So I'm sadly predicting that the Concorso as we knew it is probably over.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Not sure if any of the other many events are held in this way, but how about a downtown area? Say Monterey in the cannery area, or downtown Carmel? Maybe it's too hard to control admission, but it'd be a picturesque place to line up a bunch of cars.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have attended CI for many years, going back to the times it was at the Quail Lodge. And, yes I was there again in 2008.

Having talked to a lot of people, I don't think there is any controversy that the Marina Airport location is just awful. Those of you who weren't there need only look at the pictures posted here on the BB to see how bleak it was.

What people aren't mentioning is the weather! The morning was OK, but around lunchtime the clouds blew in, the wind came up, and it was miserable. I likened it to holding a concours on an ice floe off Antartica - flat, boring, windy, and COLD. I was also there on Thursday afternoon to check out the auction, and the weather was the same. The locals told me that this area is generally this way in mid-August; e.g., last Friday wasn't just a fluke of bad weather.

So, I think the question is less about taking a poll of who liked it and who hated it, and more asking what will we do next year? I like having an event where I can drive my own car onto the field, carry my own picnic and bottle of wine, and socialize with my friends. Sure, I could go to the Quail (assuming I want to pay the $$) but I can't do any of those things. So, what alternatives can we come up with?

Do any locals know of a park where we could hold an "All Italian Day" / "Best of France & Italy" -type event? And, who will volunteer to organize it, since this means assuming responsibility for insurance, traffic, clean-up, etc?

I can't speak for the Ferrari / BMW / Porsche / Lamborghini people, but I kind of doubt they would go to the Marina Airport a second time. So I'm sadly predicting that the Concorso as we knew it is probably over.
Most of the other clubs that I spoke to feel the same way and I think there is a huge group of people who want to be able to drive in, bring lunch, enjoy the cars and friendships they have made over the year.

One of the reasons CI had to leave Quail was the large attendance. The local residents were not going to put up with it, so this is why the Quail is limited to 2-3 thousand people.

For the majority of people that want to go to Quail next year that option will not be available. With CI's terrible performance this year the Quail is automatically SOLD OUT! Even this year the tickets went fast.

From what I was told at Monterey this year there will be a new event for 2009, I am not sure if it replaces CI or it's in addition, I just hope they announce it soon and run it with the same passion Frank Manderano had.

PS holding a car show in the street even if it is in Carmel is still a show on the concrete. I don't know how people can get excited about showing a car in the street. Every small town across the US does it.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Not sure if any of the other many events are held in this way, but how about a downtown area? Say Monterey in the cannery area, or downtown Carmel? Maybe it's too hard to control admission, but it'd be a picturesque place to line up a bunch of cars.
In case you didn't know, there's already a 2-day show in downtown Carmel, the "Carmel-by-the-Sea Concours on the Avenue" on Monday and Tuesday of Monterey week. (It may just be on the street, but Carmel is indeed picturesque enough to pull it off well.) And the Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance has its lunch stop there on the Thursday of that week. So the idea of another major event in downtown Carmel is probably a complete non-starter. Aside from the admissions problem, all downtown events present serious traffic issues. That said, anywhere other than an airport is sounding good about now.

·
Registered
52 Posts
In case you didn't know, there's already a 2-day show in downtown Carmel, the "Carmel-by-the-Sea Concours on the Avenue" on Monday and Tuesday of Monterey week. (It may just be on the street, but Carmel is indeed picturesque enough to pull it off well.) And the Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance has its lunch stop there on the Thursday of that week. So the idea of another major event in downtown Carmel is probably a complete non-starter. Aside from the admissions problem, all downtown events present serious traffic issues. That said, anywhere other than an airport is sounding good about now.
I know the events and have been to them. The tour comes through on Thursday and it is a nice event. Parking is terrible, but it only lasts for a few hours and allows everyone to see some of the PB cars without having to go on Sunday. Nice event helps promote PB. This show on Monday and Tuesday is not about cars. it's a City sponsored event set up to get more high dollar shoppers in the area while they are in town for the shows. These shows all have limitations on attendance and parking and will never take care of the clubs in the long haul. They want shoppers with $$$$$

1 - 20 of 122 Posts