Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
You may have heard about all the rain we have had in South Texas. This photo was run in the San Antonio express New on 8/17. Broke my heart! I do not know the owner but his name was published in the caption and I will try to hunt him down. The caption did say that he dried out the plugs, got her started and got her out of the water. It also stated that it was a '73. Looks right to me. I would imagine he had the top down as an escape hatch or because he did not want to open the door if he was fiddling under the hood.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
****! Poor little Spider batteling the Elements... Glad it had a happy ending!

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
You may have heard about all the rain we have had in South Texas. This photo was run in the San Antonio express New on 8/17. Broke my heart! I do not know the owner but his name was published in the caption and I will try to hunt him down. The caption did say that he dried out the plugs, got her started and got her out of the water. It also stated that it was a '73. Looks right to me. I would imagine he had the top down as an escape hatch or because he did not want to open the door if he was fiddling under the hood.
Ouch. I hate it when that happens.

Btw, doesn't look like a '73 to me, that duck tail might be found on an '83, but not a '73..

bs

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
This Will Bring a Tear to your Eye

Ouch. I hate it when that happens.

Btw, doesn't look like a '73 to me, that duck tail might be found on an '83, but not a '73..

bs
Reminds me of the time, many years ago, when I drove through Las Vegas and got caught in a flash flood on the city streets, not out in the desert coming in or out. Or of several heavy down pours in Long Beach, which is quite dippy and the water was up over the doors of the fools that tried to ford the intersections. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, and hope that they didn't live there, or they'd know how deep the dip is in front of Memorial Hospital on the Atlantic side. The tow trucks had more business than they could handle, but I wouldn't want to have to dry out a soaked interior. Not quite as bad as taking an unexpected dive off the Bay Bridge or the Minneapolis Bridge.

The spider is not an original '73, it would have a kamm tail with no wing unless someone has added that to an existing 73 model.

Best of luck to whoever the owner is....made famous w/o even knowing it by virtue of where he was located at the time and a news photographer that thought it made a great shot.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Soon to be on eBay:

Red Alfa Romeo Spider. New upholstery and carpet. Top works well.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
..... itsy bitsy spider went up the water spout,
down came the rain and washed the spider out....

Wing and mirror say 'S3' (though the wing looks more like one off a Camaro) master cylinder and battery say 'S2'

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
..... itsy bitsy spider went up the water spout,
down came the rain and washed the spider out....
ROFLMAO....That is perfect!

early S2 with niki lauda spoiler and later s2 black mirrors.

Best Regards,
John M

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Them mirrors went as far back as S2?

I had thought the trapezoid ones where that era, though I'd not even considered the Lauda edition which likely had power mirrors which would look like that anyway wouldn't they?

Nuances and idiosyncracies I guess.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts