Alfa Romeo Forums banner

201 - 220 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Tom, was that the floors in the brochure or the staples?

Thank you for inspiring me to work on SPINACI again. I am disassembling my engine and sending parts off to the balance shop. I had a stock engine and have changed a few internals. We are getting some more sunlight here and Old Man Winter is waning.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
Happy for you....(retirement) I am semi retired......

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Yes, congrats with you being retired. I am a wannebe, 68 y/o collecting SS and still working 60+ hours but making money and not putting up with any BS. Every 10th of the month my car fund grows by $2.k fro Uncle Sam, thank you

Good luck Doc

·
Registered
11 Posts
If I'm not too old yet, it won't be long!

I'm also 68, retired in 2019, having got my Spider at age 23, which is still going strong.

It's in for some accident damage repairs at the moment, so I have lots of body parts at home, going through all the little issues which have accumulated over the years:

I think I have got to the bottom of the wiper no park and no high speed issue, thanks to the forums and those who have been there before me. Thanks for the wiring diagram too, although not the exact match for my car it was still a big help. The wiper motor worm gearbox just needed its grease moved around to expose the contacts and the console switch needed replacement, having open circuit when switched to park on pins 7-8.

The heater has been re-cored, but I still have a problem with an initially inoperative fan. It seems to work ok now with the motor having received some lubrication, but I'm not sure how long it will last, and seeing as how I need to pull the dash and split the upper heater casing just to get to the screws, I'm thinking its probably worth replacing now anyway. I've also traced a problem to the blower switch which seems to power both motor circuits in low and nothing in high, so that's probably destined for the bin too.

It was a bit disappointing also to see an after market red tail light section not fit cleanly. I think persuading it might not be such a good idea as leaving the original Altissimo bezel, with its missing stud, in place.

Zinc plating and yellow/blue/black passivating all the nuts, bolts, washers, and screws is proceeding under the house, while I sort out an issue with the upholstery which is disappointing, and it seems a rear caliper o-ring has chosen a good time to fail, so it might also be time to renew the rotors/calipers and pads all round.

Sorting out an inoperative handbrake warning light and courtesy lights still need to be seen to, and I am still looking for someone to resurface the dash.

So yes, I just might be getting a bit old, but none of this is not still do-able, and hey, its still a lot of fun to fix stuff!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
Final on The bodywork left rear quarter
432C878A-527C-485D-9AF8-7E19709867F0.jpeg

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
And here’s why we go bare metal. Two paint jobs ago, this car had cheesy moldings riveted down the sides. One paint job ago, the holes were puttied over. That would show after a heat/cool cycle.so we beveled them and leaded them...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 ·
Minor set back and redo no fillers

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
If I'm not too old yet, it won't be long!

I'm also 68, retired in 2019, having got my Spider at age 23, which is still going strong.

It's in for some accident damage repairs at the moment, so I have lots of body parts at home, going through all the little issues which have accumulated over the years:

I think I have got to the bottom of the wiper no park and no high speed issue, thanks to the forums and those who have been there before me. Thanks for the wiring diagram too, although not the exact match for my car it was still a big help. The wiper motor worm gearbox just needed its grease moved around to expose the contacts and the console switch needed replacement, having open circuit when switched to park on pins 7-8.

The heater has been re-cored, but I still have a problem with an initially inoperative fan. It seems to work ok now with the motor having received some lubrication, but I'm not sure how long it will last, and seeing as how I need to pull the dash and split the upper heater casing just to get to the screws, I'm thinking its probably worth replacing now anyway. I've also traced a problem to the blower switch which seems to power both motor circuits in low and nothing in high, so that's probably destined for the bin too.

It was a bit disappointing also to see an after market red tail light section not fit cleanly. I think persuading it might not be such a good idea as leaving the original Altissimo bezel, with its missing stud, in place.

Zinc plating and yellow/blue/black passivating all the nuts, bolts, washers, and screws is proceeding under the house, while I sort out an issue with the upholstery which is disappointing, and it seems a rear caliper o-ring has chosen a good time to fail, so it might also be time to renew the rotors/calipers and pads all round.

Sorting out an inoperative handbrake warning light and courtesy lights still need to be seen to, and I am still looking for someone to resurface the dash.

So yes, I just might be getting a bit old, but none of this is not still do-able, and hey, its still a lot of fun to fix stuff!
Rust never sleeps more lead today

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·

·
Administrator
14,611 Posts
I was going to lead my GTV, but there are as many horror stories about lead lifting as there are about bog doing something.

Note I do not care about the health issues of either
Pete

Reactions: Tom Frasca

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hope you are going to change the springs so it does not look like a Ford Bronco. Apart from that it looks great. Love the paint, same colour as mine.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·
I was going to lead my GTV, but there are as many horror stories about lead lifting as there are about bog doing something.

Note I do not care about the health issues of either
It’s like soldering copper pipes

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 · (Edited)
It’s still on prime will be original Alfa silver metallic

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 ·
Almost