Alfa Romeo Forums banner

81 - 100 of 131 Posts

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
I've made some recent changes to our server configuration. Can anyone from out of the USA comment on their page loading speeds. Especially those of you in the UK. Thanks.

·
Registered
283 Posts
This site has gotten really slow in the past month for me. I seem to have the same problem on another forum that actually has almost the same platform.
Today seems to be just a bit faster but overall it's very slow. One of the main reasons that I don't frequent much. Yes i do have a fast internet service.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Sites been fine for me, my computer is very new and I have no registry errors so that may have a bit to do with it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a pause of about 6-10 seconds as the ads at the top of the page are loading. This slowness is new and has become worse since the new GUI was added and more ads are being populated at the top of the page. The site seems to be more difficult to use now:(.

Wayne

·
Banned
764 Posts
I have a new laptop and still this is the slowest site I've seen. It takes about 1- 2 minutes to open a page. I've got excellant wi-fi connection as well. Dunno, but still love the site.

·
Registered
819 Posts
It really must be dependent on your browser or your internet security... The site is super fast for me and it does not matter if I am on my laptop (wireless), my desktop or on my server at work. It certainly is just as quick as any of the other forums I frequent.

·
Banned
764 Posts
Any suggestions as to what I can do to speed it up? I'm more Alfa literate than program stuff. I just got this laptop w/Vista + service pack 1. I'm a little behind the times with techno stuff. Any simple instructions would be greatly appreciated because if I can spend less time on the net means more time with the car.......

·
Registered
624 Posts
Any suggestions as to what I can do to speed it up? I'm more Alfa literate than program stuff. I just got this laptop w/Vista + service pack 1. I'm a little behind the times with techno stuff. Any simple instructions would be greatly appreciated because if I can spend less time on the net means more time with the car.......
You might try using a different browser. When I use IE6 (home) or IE7 (work) the site loads very slowly. When I use Chrome (the new browser from Google), the site loads immediately.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Come on guys, read the whole thread! This is not about computers or browsers or settings. The experience of almost every one outside of the states, especially the UK and here in South Africa, is that this site is exceptionally slow. It has nothing to do with our internet connections, browsers, settings or computers. This page for example took 15 seconds for the adverts to appear and then a further 50 seconds for the posts to appear! Over a minute for a single page with a good broadband connection. All other similar sites that I visit take between 5 and 10 seconds to load pages similar to this.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
I'm the guy in the UK that started the thread, and in the time since, the website has had a facelift and is brighter and looks great. However, it still takes 30 seconds to load up the page. The adverts come up very quickly, but then I just have to sit back and wait for the rest to load up. It must be good for your advertisers though - they must often get 25 seconds or more of attention, and they wouldn't get that if the site was quicker!
Over here in the UK, we have a similar site - AlfaOwner.com - and I tend to have both site running at the same time. This way, I can flick back to the UK site while this one loads up. Before anyone suggests it, running two or more isn't the cause of this site being slow. In addition, I also view these websites in my lunch break at work, and the speed is much the same as I get at home.

As I've said before though, it's a great site which has some really good contributions for which I'm sure many of us are very grateful.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
This Sit is So Slow

I'm the guy in the UK that started the thread, and in the time since, the website has had a facelift and is brighter and looks great. However, it still takes 30 seconds to load up the page. The adverts come up very quickly, but then I just have to sit back and wait for the rest to load up. It must be good for your advertisers though - they must often get 25 seconds or more of attention, and they wouldn't get that if the site was quicker!
Over here in the UK, we have a similar site - AlfaOwner.com - and I tend to have both site running at the same time. This way, I can flick back to the UK site while this one loads up. Before anyone suggests it, running two or more isn't the cause of this site being slow. In addition, I also view these websites in my lunch break at work, and the speed is much the same as I get at home.

As I've said before though, it's a great site which has some really good contributions for which I'm sure many of us are very grateful.
While I'm not in the U.K., Africa, or anywhere else outside of the U.S., I concur that running applications concurrently or multiple tabs is not the problem. I use Firefox with 7-15 tabs open at one time, I use Norton which everyone complains sucks memory, and I have not had any problems except one that I can account for; and that is, that my esteemed employer dumped a bunch of new [unnamed, but well-known,] VoIP phones on the servers without considering what it would do to our network. So much fun.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Ian... not everyone complaining is from outside the US, and my comment was replying to the post right above mine... which happened to be from Florida, which last time I checked, was still in the USA. ;)

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
This Site is So Slow

Ian... not everyone complaining is from outside the US, and my comment was replying to the post right above mine... which happened to be from Florida, which last time I checked, was still in the USA. ;)
I think the point of the original post was to convey information, although, granted, it could have been worded or expressed a little differently. Just as an item of information there are several other threads dealing with pretty much U.S. problems and this thread was set up to deal almost exclusively with outside of the U.S. problems, if I'm not mistaken, where they were using programs to run load times and diagnose problems at the beginnings of the thread. It is true that some of the experienced U.S. bbers were participating trying to help and as the thread kind of went dormant, the focus of the thread changed or transformed based on recent posts by posters who did not review the entirety of the thread.

Further, Simon's recent request was specific in asking for input from outside of the U.S. bbers since that was the specific problem that he was trying to diagnose and fix.

Sometimes, posters form an attachment to a thread and have a way of letting others know it in a way that is not always worded so that it is received well or very diplomatically; and yes, on occasion I've also been guilty of this.

FTR, I have no qualms with Florida being part of the U.S. As I recall, it may have figured prominently in a recent presidential election that went to the Supreme Court.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #97 (Edited)
Andy,

What browser (version#) and operating system are you running?
Hi Simon,

I currently use IE7 on both machines. It was previously IE6 on one of the machines before updating, but there was no detectable difference in speed. The system is Windows XP (which now has service pack 3). My home machine is also running on XP, but has yet to be upgraded to SP3.

Just a note about the times taken this morning (10.30 UK time): - It took 25 seconds to load up the main site (5 secs for adverts plus 20 secs for the main home forum page to open). I then went to my normal section - Alfa Spider - which took only 10 seconds! Realising that I had gone to the wrong section, I then went to this thread........ which took about 35 seconds.

A friend has just tried loading up the site on his machine and has similar results to me when using IE7. However, he then tried Firefox and Opera, which worked very quickly to a variety of threads (3-4 secs). The new Google Chrome was also tried, and this took longer to load (10-15 secs) than Firefox and Opera, but not as long as IE7.

I hope this may help. Just as a reminder, I'm in the UK, and now a shareholder of lots of banks. It must be true, my government told me...!

Andy

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
While I haven't read the whole thread, I have to write this post.
Today I installed Mozilla Firefox and it's option Flashblock, the improvement over the standard Windows supplied Internet Explorer is amazing!
Page opening times are a fraction of the time it took with Explorer. It's now even more enjoyable to haunt the Alfa BB than it was before :cool:

·
Registered
225 Posts
While I haven't read the whole thread, I have to write this post.
Today I installed Mozilla Firefox and it's option Flashblock, the improvement over the standard Windows supplied Internet Explorer is amazing!
Page opening times are a fraction of the time it took with Explorer. It's now even more enjoyable to haunt the Alfa BB than it was before :cool:
Did the same thing,it works 110%:D

81 - 100 of 131 Posts