Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 80 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
I believe resolution to the problem would require a complete redesign of AlfaBB (in such a way that there would be less HTTP GET requests per page).

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Ruedi,

Do you have a listing of how many GETs we currently are at per page?

This is one of the reasons some forums don't allow things like avatars and images in signatures.

I really think the root of the cause is the advertisers scripts that are getting stuck trying to figure out what to serve for that region.

I'll need a few volunteers from the UK. I'll build some pages that have ZERO ads and we can see if speeds improve. Anyone willing to try?

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Ruedi,

Do you have a listing of how many GETs we currently are at per page?

This is one of the reasons some forums don't allow things like avatars and images in signatures.

I really think the root of the cause is the advertisers scripts that are getting stuck trying to figure out what to serve for that region.

I'll need a few volunteers from the UK. I'll build some pages that have ZERO ads and we can see if speeds improve. Anyone willing to try?
According to the Side-by-Side trace I posted above, there are about 29 Get requests that appeared via both links (and maybe a few more that were specific to each link -- different ads etc.). There are also about 3-4 DNS requests to ad servers that may produce different results based on client IP address or ISP.

Although in North America, I'll be happy to try test pages and capture traces for comparison.

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Site is pretty dang fast foe me. I think it is your computer if there is a problem.
If you read my posts further above, you'll see that I proved that there are issues related to site design that make the AlfaBB slow over networks with high round trip time. Since round trip time increases with distance, AlfaBB performance degrades progressively the farther away a user is from the servers.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
This Site is so Slow....

If you read my posts further above, you'll see that I proved that there are issues related to site design that make the AlfaBB slow over networks with high round trip time. Since round trip time increases with distance, AlfaBB performance degrades progressively the farther away a user is from the servers.
If I understand what you've written and the information that your analysis provides, that means that my speed should be faster than yours based on location? Or are you and I not far enough apart to recognize the degradation like the U.K. is or Australia as a further example. I am not indicating that Australian's are having degradative issues, just trying to focus on how much distance it takes to show "marked" degradation. I'm also making the assumption that the server is located locally within Simon's vicinity.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Well good for you!

You think wrong. There is nothing wrong with my computer and of all the sites on the internet I visit this is the slowest by a long long way.

I would be happy to help Smestas.

++
Thank you!~ I try!
"I think wrong"?? ***?
BTW I was not even posting on your comment, in fact I never read it.
Man maybe less time on the computer and some time outside in the sunshine would help.:rolleyes:

Great.
I simply stated that the site is fast for me and maybe it is your computer! I have an older MAC which runs slower on this site but a brand new Dell and it is lighting fast, so tell me it's the site? So I beg to differ on your findings. I would be bored to tears reading about this stuff you have proved, I am sure of it.
My post was general and had nothing to do with anyone, just giving simon some input.

·
Registered
6 Posts
According to the Side-by-Side trace I posted above, there are about 29 Get requests that appeared via both links (and maybe a few more that were specific to each link -- different ads etc.). There are also about 3-4 DNS requests to ad servers that may produce different results based on client IP address or ISP.

Although in North America, I'll be happy to try test pages and capture traces for comparison.
Logging in from South Africa through our corporate network is unbelievably slow. When the network is busy even dial-up might be a better option. I've run a couple of traces with HTTPSniffer and altough I don't know much about network traffic, the ads seem to only be a small portion of the problem. I'm including the logs below for those of you who can better analize it. I can also include the logs from running it through my 3G account if you want. Just as a note every 304/407 request takes about 1sec (thumbs.ebaystatic.com also load after the page is displayed):

I just tested on 3G, clicking to this page from the main page takes 15second. Refreshing the page takes 60 second :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
For what it's worth dept: I often connect to the bb over my school's TI supported network. Usually, I do this when the network is busiest, i.e., mornings between 8AM and 11PM (when faculty members are actually in their offices! :)), My connect time and download times, even with a busy network, are little different from my times using my home HS cable connection---a few seconds +/- either way---but fast enough that I don't notice a lag.

Forgot to mention this: Significantly, my connect/download times for European/UK sites (Alfaholics/others) seem to be as fast from this end as connecting to the bb in California.

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Logging in from South Africa through our corporate network is unbelievably slow. When the network is busy even dial-up might be a better option. I've run a couple of traces with HTTPSniffer and altough I don't know much about network traffic, the ads seem to only be a small portion of the problem. I'm including the logs below for those of you who can better analize it. I can also include the logs from running it through my 3G account if you want. Just as a note every 304/407 request takes about 1sec (thumbs.ebaystatic.com also load after the page is displayed):

I just tested on 3G, clicking to this page from the main page takes 15second. Refreshing the page takes 60 second :eek:
Thank you for taking the time to create traces. I was not familiar with HTTPsniffer, so I downloaded version 1.2 and played with it. Unfortunately, the softeare does not give very detailed results (exact time stamps and what ports were used). Still, your traces contain some interesting information: Access from the corporate network shows multiple instances of "407 Proxy Access Denied." This response should not be there and indicates a problem. Every time this happens, the browser’s attempt to connect to a server failed, resulting in a retry. The first 3 rows of the "Reload - Corporate" trace are a good example. The browser tried to access the AlfaBB page "67474-site-so-slow-5.html." The first two attempts to access fail but the 3rd attempt succeeds. You’ll see this pattern repeated for several pages. Obviously, the additional requests consume time.

The function of a proxy server is explained here. One possibility is that there is a problem with the proxy server capacity or configuration, but there is also the chance that the additional time the proxy server needs to cache and process the requests and responses may lead to time-out conditions.

The 3G network shows no "407 Proxy Access Denied" responses. I’m guessing the reason this connection is slow is probably some bandwidth constraints.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to create traces. I was not familiar with HTTPsniffer, so I downloaded version 1.2 and played with it. Unfortunately, the softeare does not give very detailed results (exact time stamps and what ports were used). Still, your traces contain some interesting information: Access from the corporate network shows multiple instances of "407 Proxy Access Denied." This response should not be there and indicates a problem. Every time this happens, the browser’s attempt to connect to a server failed, resulting in a retry. The first 3 rows of the "Reload - Corporate" trace are a good example. The browser tried to access the AlfaBB page "67474-site-so-slow-5.html." The first two attempts to access fail but the 3rd attempt succeeds. You’ll see this pattern repeated for several pages. Obviously, the additional requests consume time.

The function of a proxy server is explained here. One possibility is that there is a problem with the proxy server capacity or configuration, but there is also the chance that the additional time the proxy server needs to cache and process the requests and responses may lead to time-out conditions.

The 3G network shows no "407 Proxy Access Denied" responses. I’m guessing the reason this connection is slow is probably some bandwidth constraints.
On the corporate network they are throtteling our bandwith rather severly, which results in the 407 response (we need to use the corporate proxy to connect to the interweb).

One thing that I noticed when comparing this site to other BB sites (like the TDIclub site and corner carvers) is that this site finishes loading before being displayed, whilst most others finish loading the text, displays the text and then continues loading the pictures (avatars, etc). This results in much bigger perceived slowness for the AlfaBB (altough total download time still seems much slower on this site).

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
One thing that occurred to me, do you primarily use the BB in an area where people are using internet apps, (such as webmail)? I've found that these suck up so much bandwidth, it makes sites such as the BB almost unusably slow.

·
Banned
764 Posts
Well, I've only perused the posts on this issue and the reason is it's slower than stink! I'm on a few other forums and none are as bad, speedwise, as this one. That's my only constructive comment as otherwise I reeeeally like the site and format. However, sometimes it's sooooooooooo sloooooow I drift off to another site (AlfaGTV6.com, etc.).

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Always been very quick to work for me, even on a several years old machine with a slow by comparison processor, tiny amount of RAM and itty bitty slow turning hard drive, but then again I don't have 87 background programs running and have taken the time to optimize my internet settings.

EG, a speed test taken today (top # is DL, bottom is UL):

Face it folks, if some people say it's fast while others say it's slow, then it's fast and the slow people have either got problems with their PC (like resource hogging background programs, or crap internet optimization settings) or they are far enough away where the routing takes a huge pile of hops through hubs that might be slow to begin with or that throttle back throughput.

Of course those that aren't subscribers being a bit slower makes sense, as there's a pile more adverts/flash media/jpgs/what-have-you's to go and fetch that originate from off-site, so that's another honkin' pile of 'go-n-get-n-bring-back' cycles that have to happen while you're waiting for the page to load, and if the local of a given advert is really slow, you get to wait for that to finally get around to working before the forum page will finish loading.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Jeepers guys! It's fast for users in the States and slow for everyone in the rest of the world, and your conclusion is that the rest of the world is using crap computers and/or doesn't know what they are doing!? Clearly there is a problem that affects users outside of the States. Guys in the UK and South Africa are experiencing the same thing. We have super fast speeds on every other site and really really slow speeds only on this site. Many thanks to Simon and the few guys who are working on this. It really is a great site but there is an issue here. At a guess I would say it is at least 10 times slower than any similar site I have tried.

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
After some testing I'm completely convinced that it is due to some of the scripts that our advertisers are running. Since most of the advertisers are targeting US based customers there is a lot of back and forth on the advertisers side when trying to load a ad for non US visitors. All the while causing a SLOW page load for anyone not in the US.

Ill be trying to add some software that will suppress the problematic advertiser and/or create another subscription tier with ZERO ads.

Stay tuned for updates.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks Simon. We appreciate your efforts and are really looking forward to experiencing the solution!

Ian

·
Banned
764 Posts
Simon,

I'm another one that would greatly appreciate the effort and improvement. The other site that I have this same problem is the BMW CCA site. Does seem the more ads, the speed is reduced.

61 - 80 of 131 Posts