Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
This site is so slow..... / dead green screen

i find it relaxing to focus on the picture of oelholms sud for the moments when the page stalls green.
but if not everybody here likes that car, mabey we can have a couple of other models along side it for those that prefer something alse.
The dead green screen is not exactly like the BSD; when mine goes all green the Alfasud is not visible; it is a totally dead green screen or DGS. Either your failure is different than mine, loading on occasion, or you have wonderful recall and/or an imagination to match the recall.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Simon,

What has changed? Suddenly, someone must have thrown a switch - speed is dramatically faster. I first noticed this today, but to be fair it could have changed a few days ago, since due to the slow speed I generally start up a window and move on to another whilst the BB site stokes up. I followed an email link this morning and the site opened up as fast as any other..........

Is this just luck or has a remedy been found? (I did try opening up the BB site a few times, and every time it was fast - no lingering on the Alfasud page).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Hi Simon,

I've given it a few days before replying, and I'm afraid I have to say that my last posting was some sort of One Day Wonder. Speed has been back to slow ever since, whether on my Norton protected home machine, my son's Kaspersky protected machine or my Zone Alarm protected machine at work. I just counted 32 seconds for this thread to open up. I could nearly have carried out an oil change on the Alfasud that I was looking at....

Still a great site though. Maybe an MG forum site is faster to make up for the cars being slower.......!

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Would you be comfortable to install and run the free WireShark protocol analyzer and capture a trace?

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I connect to the internet via cable with a relatively slow AMD 2000+ processor and Zone Alarm, SpySweeper, Avast antivirus, and sundry obscure programs I haven't bothered to remove. I just timed accessing this thread and from first click to read was around 10 seconds. Lately, I haven't noticed any marked slowness although eariler there definitely was. My cable IPS isn't particularly fast at +/- 10mps. High speed connections outside the US tend to be faster so I continue to wonder about the sit's slowness when accessed outside the US. Perhaps all the connections are being intercepted by Carnivore. :)

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
This site is so slow.....

The only slowness I experienced today was in e-mail notification receipts. I'd go look at the threads and there were posts that I should have received e-mail notifications about new posts. Then around 5:00 p.m. I suddenly had two pages of e-mail notifications for posts I'd already read earlier in the day. So some gremlin must have taken control of the notification system for a while.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Would you be comfortable to install and run the free WireShark protocol analyzer and capture a trace?
No thanks. I've looked at what it is, and don't feel competent enough.

As a guide, I'm finding it takes typically 27 - 32 seconds for the new screen to appear from the green Alfasud page.

Not as it's perhaps a great help, but the AlfaOwner.com site in the UK, which is similar in layout and format, takes two or three seconds to display a new page.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I have a regular comcast high speed connection and it takes three to four seconds for each page to load. This is slower than most sites but considering the reward, its worth it. Its just a couple of heart beats.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
As a guide, I'm finding it takes typically 27 - 32 seconds for the new screen to appear from the green Alfasud page.

Not as it's perhaps a great help, but the AlfaOwner.com site in the UK, which is similar in layout and format, takes two or three seconds to display a new page.
[/QUOTE]

Andy, you might want to try another utility: HiJackThis is a freeware program that will report on everything running on your computer. It's great for identifying nefarious software that you don't know about, although it won't remove them. That said, it doesn't sound like you've got a virus if you get frast d/loads from other sites in the UK.

Lately, I've noticed that my "phishing" filter pops up when I'm on the BB. I just bypss it, but I'm wondering if, perhaps, your ISP has some filtering going on that impedes the BB from loading quickly? You might want to contact their help desk and see.

Since we're now getting relatively fast responses here in the states, it would appear that there's something between here and there that's slowing things down.

It would be useful to know if people on the continent, and elsewhere like OZ or Thailand, are experiencing similar slowness.

In particular it would be useful to know if anyone in the UK is getting fast responses when connected to the BB.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Whatever the outcome of this thread may be, i've got to add, at this point, how impressed I am with the concern of the folk looking after this forum. It isn't as if we have to pay for it either! Top marks to you!

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
No thanks. I've looked at what it is, and don't feel competent enough.

OK on WireShark. It would have allowed to analyze the response times from the various servers (i.e. AlfaBB and advertising content servers) that are involved in creating the page. I agree using this software is somewhat "involved."

Based on your 2nd paragraph, I get the impression that you are dealing with a timeout condition that may be the result of suppressing ads. Filter settings (often altered by automatic updates) may also explain why AlfaBB was quick for you one day and then slow again.

As posted elsewhere, Internet Explorer waits and presents a more or less blank screen until all content has arrived (while Firefox displays content as it arrives). So, if a filter suppresses part of the page, IE waits until a timeout for these parts of the page occurs (often showing an "Errors on page" message at the bottom of the screen).

The problems you encounter are most likely client or software based (including security enabled routers). The challenge is figuring out the cause(s) that create the problem on all 3 machines you are using. That being said, I wouldn't let the ISP off the hook yet and there is a possibility that routing through the Internet (a slow or saturated link somewhere in between) may play a role with these problems.

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Thank you to everyone who is working on figuring this out!

I have been getting reports from mostly members in the UK complaining of the sites page load times. So I really think it is something that is a regional problem and why we don’t see the same issues here in the US or other areas.

I have a feeling that it is due to one or more of our advertisers but I would like to know if that really is the case. So far it’s just a guess on my behalf. If it is a particular advertiser I can install software that will remove the offending ads from that region. The only trick is I would need to know exactly which advertisers (ads) are causing the problems.

We also have a few other scripts loading in our pages which are for stats purposes that could also be contributing to the slow page load times.

Any and all help to try and resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated. It’s important that we get the UK back into the fold!

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Here are some stats that might help Simon isolate and solve the d/load problem.

If logging on from the UK, please provide a general location (i.e., North, South, Central, Surrey, Reading, etc.). Then time how long it takes to pull up a forum. Is there a time differential. i.e., faster in the morning or evening? Post the results here.

If you are logging on from contential Europe, do the same thing.

If you are logging on from, OZ, New Zeland, or elsewhere in the Pacific or Asia, do the same thing.

As I mentioned a little earlier, my logon time from opening screen to forum read is around 10 seconds. I think Simon is right that this isn't a problem eminating from his server or software. Most likely it's a regional problem outside the US. But, to figure out where and what it is, he's going to need some concrete information.

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
I have some more information about load time (speed) variations for users:

While traveling with my notebook computer this week, I conected from a remote area to AlfaBB via a Hughes Direcway broadband satellite link and encountered load times of 30 seconds or more for the Forum Index page.

I took a WireShark trace of a page refresh (using "F5" on IE 7) and took another trace of the same page when I got home (load times of about 6 seconds via Cable broadband). I was logged in in both cases (due to my subscription level I see less ads than non-paying subscribers).

Attached is an Excel file with a Side-by-Side comparison of elapsed time for the same page element requests (i.e those requests that were identical on both pages). I also included the raw traces of both traces. A few things are worth mentioning:
  • Ping roundtrip time (RTT) to www.AlfaBB.com was 750-800 msec via satellite and 15-40 msec via cable.
  • The longer RTT over satellite caused packet losses, packet duplication, duplicate ACKs, and some timeout conditions where requests (e.g. DNS queries for ad servers) were sent more than once.
  • The computer was the same, but time-of-day was different. Variances stemming from ad servers are not accounted for, etc.
  • That being said, the satellite connection trace has about 10% more packets than the cable connection trace.
Roundtrip delay (and possibly the number of hops between a client system and the AlfaBB and ad server hosts) seems to be the major culprit why pages load slow for some users. One can see how the elapsed time in the two traces diverges from the beginning and does so at a fairly constant rate. When I googled for latency, I found service level agreements that indicate worst-case delay between two routers in North America is about 45 msec and 90 msec for North America to Europe. Even with complicated pages like the one traced (with 50+ page element requests from various servers) this difference should not add a lot of delay. However, if the roundtrip time gets longer (e.g. via satellite) the load time increases substantially.

Therefore, I would suggest that everybody with slow load times checks (and posts here) their roundtrip time. Users of Microsoft Windows can check this easily by first typing "command" in the "Start->Run..." box and then typing "ping www.alfabb.com" in the DOS window that opens. In case the result consistently shows "Request timed out." your system or network uses a firewall that suppresses ICMP traffic and the firewall must be configured to allow such traffic.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I'm in London (SW18).
It's taking between 10 and 30secs per page refresh for me at the moment

I'm not running any live AV (I kapersky sweep once a month or so - nothing yet)
My i'net connection is about average for this area 3.5K (or so i'm led to believe)
Average roundtrip PING for this site is 195ms

It really is slow.. i don't visit the site nearly as much as i used to due to this.
Hope you sort it out soon :)

41 - 60 of 131 Posts