Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a fantastic website, but it is so slow. What's the problem? The other Alfa forum (alfaowner.com) is much faster, so why the difference?

I keep thinking I've connected on dial up!

There was an email sent out a week or so ago to say that the site was down for work which would result in a faster operation - What went wrong?

As I said, it's a great site. I just wish I didn't have to keep putting the kettle on every time I click on a link.......

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
It seems a little faster to me. Part of the slowness you are seeing might be attributed to the ads that are getting loaded, however, these ads help pay the bills to keep this site operational.

·
Registered
9,240 Posts
Other people also encountered and reported slowness today. See this thread.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I t-h-i-n-k i-t m-a-y h-a-v-e s-o-m-e-t-h-i-n-g t-o d-o w-i-t-h t-h-e s-p-e-e-d o-f t-h-e c-o-n-t-r-i-b-u-t-o-r-s. :rolleyes:

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Well with the site growing we do have a lot of scripts, images and objects loading in the page. Many things can slow down the loading of a page here is a list of a few.

• To high of a security setting in your browser (cookies & scripts).
  • Any security software that manages your internet connection.
  • Slow connection (dail up)
For those of you running hi security settings please allow connections from the following domains.

alfabb.com
tag.contextweb.com
c.adroll.com
google-analytics.com

If you are still suffering from slow page loads after making the above changes please let us know.

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
I just noticed that you are in England. I have had other similar reports of slow load times from that region. Is there anyone out there in England who is getting OK page load times or running ad blocking software. Id be curious to see how that pages are loading for them. I got a similar report from Max BAnks at Alfaholics.

Im almost thinking that for that region it has something to do with our ad networks slowing down the page loads while trying to target an ad.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to add a little more - I log on both from home and occasionally from work. The speed is the same from either. It isn't a problem that I have encountered on other sites, whether in the UK or elsewhere. I get the page with the Alfasud fairly quickly, but it just seems slow to load after this point. Any slower and I could watch the wheel arches start to corrode.........:)

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
:mad:I told him if he doesn't step up the pace, no food:mad:.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not trying to be all high and mighty, but in my opinion, and obviously a few others, if you don't contribute, you don't have b*tching rights... ;)
Of course you're not....... As you have just proved!

There is no need for this sort of response. As I said, it's a great site, and it is a shame that your attitude hardly encourages new members.

I have commented that it is a slow site. This means it takes time for the page to reload. It isn't a personal attack on anyone. I'm not suggesting that the contributors to the site are slow, so please don't take it so personally. When I have asked for help or comments, I've always received it, so I have absolutely no complaints whatsoever about the content, so please don't make accusations about 'b*itching rights'

·
Administrator
16,378 Posts
in my opinion, and obviously a few others, if you don't contribute, you don't have b*tching rights...
Uh, oh. I was afraid of this...

How do you know who does and who does not contribute? Is this based solely on the little 'platinum or gold subscriber' banner near your username? Please keep in mind that one can still make monetary donations (I assume that is what you mean by "contribute") without subscribing.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts

How do you know who does and who does not contribute? Is this based solely on the little 'platinum or gold subscriber' banner near your username? Please keep in mind that one can still make monetary donations (I assume that is what you mean by "contribute") without subscribing.
or contribute with useful answers or great pictures, or uplifting words.....

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Getting back to Simon's comments earlier, if you have had other comments about the slowness from the UK (Max Banks, Alfaholics), yet the speed is ok in the USA, maybe it does have something to do with the adverts since they are UK based adverts over here, not the same as you will be seeing over there. Also, as I said previously, the main page with the Alfasud opens up quickly enough, but it goes slow from then onwards, irrespective of whether ad blocking switched on or off.

Must go now - I want to offer a suggestion to a fellow Alfa enthusiast who is having steering problems......

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Of course you're not....... As you have just proved!

There is no need for this sort of response. As I said, it's a great site, and it is a shame that your attitude hardly encourages new members.

I have commented that it is a slow site. This means it takes time for the page to reload. It isn't a personal attack on anyone. I'm not suggesting that the contributors to the site are slow, so please don't take it so personally. When I have asked for help or comments, I've always received it, so I have absolutely no complaints whatsoever about the content, so please don't make accusations about 'b*itching rights'
LOL, relax dude. Nothing was taken personally. I even added a smiley face for how "serious" I was. Take it with a grain of salt, calm down, and don't flip out every time someone says something you don't like, joking or serious. Yes, sometimes the site is slow and sometimes its offline all together; its tough for one person to moderate this whole site, mostly fund it, and maintain it 24/7. Simon does have a life outside Alfabb ;).

Haha, how did I know that was going to be taken out of context? Hmmm? Obviously, you can see the word 'contribution'. No where does it mention $$$, moo-lah! For example, someone like Alfisto Steve is such a valuable contributor to the site. You couldn't pay him enough for his information and help he provides.

You know what happens when 'one' assumes? It makes an @$$ out of U and ME. ;)

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
:mad:*ammit, ain't my fault, I'm going as fast as I can.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,240 Posts
Getting back to Simon's comments earlier, if you have had other comments about the slowness from the UK (Max Banks, Alfaholics), yet the speed is ok in the USA, maybe it does have something to do with the adverts since they are UK based adverts over here, not the same as you will be seeing over there. Also, as I said previously, the main page with the Alfasud opens up quickly enough, but it goes slow from then onwards, irrespective of whether ad blocking switched on or off.
In addition to possible effects of geography (e.g. regional ad serving being slow), there is also the potential that there could be a time-of-day problem (e.g. server backups in the middle of the night which might be mid-morning in the UK). Are the problems you are experiencing consistent throughout the day?

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Andy,

Thank you for working with us on getting things sped up in the UK.

I have a few ideas on what it might be but I’m curious what kind of ad blocker you used? I’m wondering if the blocker is still loading the ad code but just not showing it or if it’s ignoring all the ad code all together. This would help to figure out if it has something to do with our ad code or not. Also note that we have three different ad networks that rotate in the ad spaces so results may vary depending on the page content.

Secondly I have been back and forth on "no-cache HTTP headers". With this feature turned off it allows your ISP to cache our pages which is supposed to help speed up page delivery to you. Right now we have this option set to ALLOW page caching. So this is just a theory of mine that the ISP might be doing something that is causing slow page load times. If we turn the caching OFF it would create more load on the server but might increase your page load times if it’s a caching problem.

What I’ll work on over the next few days will be to make a custom version of the site with no ads for you to review. If it helps things out then we know it’s the ads for sure. If not then well have to move on to other things.

Thanks again and keep us posted. I’ll report back with a link for you to try when I have a test page ready.

The one thing that boggles me is that this seems to only be a issue with people in the UK. None of our Australian members or other regions have ever noted slow page load times which adds to my confusion.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts