Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
what part?
10,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ever work on you suspension, and you just cannot get enough pull on thoses pesky stuck nuts, bolts.:(.well i was working on my freinds 74 spider, on the rear suspension, and the trailing arm bolts/nuts.. well could not budge them.:(.no power tools for me..so i found a neat way to losen the nuts on the rear trailing arms..get the car safely on 4 jacks 2 if you want .. spary the offending nut/bolt with oil.. hange a box end wrench at a 30'ish degree angle to the floor,, run a floor jack( i have 2 of those big ones) and carefully palce the cup of the floor jack under the wrench.....this is the 'fun' part...hold one side of the bolt with the correct socket/spanner. and with you legs pump the floor jack so it starts to lift, witch well inturn start turning the boxend wrench.. as you start to lift the floor jack with your legs, hold the scoket/spnner tighly, and the force of the jack will start turning the nut.:).might take a few turns if it is nice and rusty, but it will save you from going under the car.:)..wreching it around as you try to unstick a stuck nut/bolt..and i belive it is a wee bit safer to put alot of torque on it..:cool::D

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
...or better yet video....at least it will be funny and at best a way to accomplish the job! remember...its always about directing.

Publio

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Sounds like a great way to loose a nut. Sounds like a future Darwin Award nominee.

·
Registered
what part?
10,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
..hey i am still hereD)..and i works if you are alone..and i did it safely:)

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
I've done simular myself in the past on different projects, and it does work and is as safe as about any other method, especially since you don't actually have to be under the car. All you have to do is be able to work the jack handle. (bianchi1, if you run into a situation where you have to do it again, try putting the wrench that's not being jacked on up against the floorpan with a wood block as a cushion. Once you get a little turn on the fixture with the jack, it'll hold itself in place so all you need deal with is the jack itself)

Not everyone can afford lifts or own air tools, and using that method is certainly cheaper than the one-hour rate they'd charge for taking 5 whole minutes on the rack after a 2 hour wait in the lobby to break them loose for you.

It's not Darwinism, it's an intelligent solution that works quite effectively when more conventional means are ineffective or unavailable.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
I have seem so many folks in industrial settings using equipment (or themselves) out of its design boundaries and ending up with minor to serious injuries. The initial unspoken question during the investigations is, "What were you thinking". I hope you are right. Mind you I do these things out of necessity and have ended up paying more often than not and asking, "What was I thinking". A job-safety-analysis could pinpoint what might go wrong, a wrench careening off toward your teeth or eye, and help you come up with a mitigation like a tool tether. Like the two other posts say, it's hard to visualize so it's hard to comment on specifics.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Ever use a jack to tip up the back end of a transmission?

Same principle, only the jack has the end of a wrench in its pocket/cup instead of the tail of the transmission (which doesn't fit anywhere near as well as the wrench does)

Certainly a tether wouldn't hurt, but as your person is well away from all that (it's all under the car, you're not), it's not as spooky if it comes loose as one would imagine.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
A very rudimentary graphic to try and help describe the technique.

Take into consideration that the jack need not be orientated as shown and could be put out the side instead, but it's safer to have it lifting in line with the axis the wrench is on.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
A very rudimentary graphic to try and help describe the technique.

Take into consideration that the jack need not be orientated as shown and could be put out the side instead, but it's safer to have it lifting in line with the axis the wrench is on.
Well, that is a heck of a lot easier to visualize! Thanks, Tifosi.

Best regards,

·
Registered
what part?
10,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tifosi..perfect:):):):):) exactly .. the photo/drawing..thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts