Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
This is so interesting, it's worth ripping the pictures and auction text for documentation purposes. The seller is OK Parts in Germany. Since they talk about "reproduction", I wonder if this will be a stock item in the future.

This is one reproduction from the Conrero race intake manifold for 1900 and 2000 engines.You can fit 2 x 40mm DCOE on your 1900 and all 2000 102 engines!No more problems with the standart Solex carburetors and more power.The Auction is for the intake manifold and the 4 rubber blocks,the carburetors and air filters are not included!!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I phoned OKP parts to hear if they had more manifold, and got the info that its was already sold.
The lock on the right port, first picture, what is the function for that

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I have to day been in contact on phone with Mr Ondrak from the company OKP Parts in Munich, regarding this Conrero manifold copy for 1900 and 2000 tipo 102 engines.
they have produced a pattern ,so they will be able to cast this manifold in the future.
It means the manifold will be general available in the future. The rubber flanges is the same as there is used on the tipo 105 Giulia series, so on these there will also good supply in the future.

·
Registered
781 Posts
They should manufacture reproduction Weber manifolds for the 6 cylinder cars. They would sell three times as many units!

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
2000 touring sp said:
The lock on the right port, first picture, what is the function for that
Since this is supposedly a racing manifold, I'm guessing that this port is for a vacuum brake servo (not introduced in 102 production models but probably a good addition for race cars).

Looking at the 102 parts catalog, I saw that the standard intake manifold had 2 ports for radiator coolant (front and back) that this racing manifold doesn't seem to have. I always thought temperature management of the intake manifold was necessary so that the mixture wouldn't change. I can only imagine that racing engines run in such narrow temperature bands and are adjusted often enough that temperature management of the intake manifold is not necessary. But for a street engine, the story is probably quite different.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I just won one of those manifolds on e-bay over the weekend from Christian at OKP. So obviously they had at least two. I am hoping that this will be a more expedient solution than having my Solexes rebuilt. I already have some Webers set aside, and spare parts are readily available. Since this is a bolt on modification, I can leave the Solexes on the shelf in case I want to return it to its original configuration.

Interesting comment about the coolant ports.

Arno Leskinen
AROC-USA National Concours Chair

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Coolant ports. Back in ancient time I was the HAPPY owner of a 1900 Super wit one solex cab. At one time the manifold leaked water. I just coupled the water circulation of, to solve the problem with the leakage. As stated it was back in ancient time, and as I recall it, did not give any influence in the engine running whether it was summer or winter.

·
Registered
781 Posts
How can we get them to produce a Weber 6C manifold? Just took a ride in such an equipped car this past weekend in NoCal and I'm a believer.

A reasonably priced manifold could fix a lot of those cars left to rot, and give them the performance (or at least, sound) that they always needed. If enough of them had it, it could change the way everybody regards the model.

Put me down for an advance order for a 6C Weber tooling, OK PARTS.

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
67alloy said:
How can we get them to produce a Weber 6C manifold? Just took a ride in such an equipped car this past weekend in NoCal and I'm a believer.

A reasonably priced manifold could fix a lot of those cars left to rot, and give them the performance (or at least, sound) that they always needed. If enough of them had it, it could change the way everybody regards the model.

Put me down for an advance order for a 6C Weber tooling, OK PARTS.

You can always have Jay Nuxoll make you one in his spare time :)

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Later this year, I'll be working on putting EFI on the 2600. The plan is to use Yamaha GSXR Hayabusa parts (a 1300 cc 4-cyl engine revving to 13,000 RPM) on the standard Solex manifold. My calculations show that the Solex manifold is better suited for an EFI solution than the Weber manifold because I can use 2 small squirters instead of 1 large one. Once I get the engine running with Yamaha throttle bodies, I'll try to fit the squirters inside the Solex carbs for a "classic" look. I expect that both performance and fuel consumption will be better than Webers on a Weber manifold.

BTW: After a 3-hour drive in a friend's Giulietta Sprint with open-throat Webers (driving from Vancouver to the Potlatch in Seattle), I completely revised my thinking about using open-throat Webers on the 2600. The sound was fun for the first half hour, but at the end of each leg we were practically deaf...

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Further thoughts: If I'm not mistaken, the 102 used a vacuum ignition advance. The parts catalog is not entirely clear about where the tubing coming from the distributor connects to at the other end. Maybe the port in questions serves that purpose...

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
On the 1900, if I recall right, and the 2000 there is no vacuum ignition advance. The look is , as you have stated earlier, for assistance for vacuum assisted brakes. As there is no such ones on 1900 or 2000 , the look is delivered with a screw mounted, that blokes the look.

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
I probably should have double-checked the parts catalog again just before I wrote the last message above (I looked at it a couple of days ago and wrote the message from memory).

The 2000 Berlina has a vacuum advance, but 2000 Sprint/Spider don't.

Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
FWIW on a performance engine you usually don't really want a heated manifold as it decreases the density of the intakie charge and reduces power.

Now cold running is another story ... However, unless you plan to winter rallye you probably are ok.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Weber Carburetor works different than Solex

tubut said:
Since this is supposedly a racing manifold, I'm guessing that this port is for a vacuum brake servo (not introduced in 102 production models but probably a good addition for race cars).

Looking at the 102 parts catalog, I saw that the standard intake manifold had 2 ports for radiator coolant (front and back) that this racing manifold doesn't seem to have. I always thought temperature management of the intake manifold was necessary so that the mixture wouldn't change. I can only imagine that racing engines run in such narrow temperature bands and are adjusted often enough that temperature management of the intake manifold is not necessary. But for a street engine, the story is probably quite different.
Ruedi. OKT's "conrero" 102 and 1900 intake manifold does not have any water running through it. So the "fitting" is probably a banjo joint to add a vacuum boost. Two liter does not have a vacuum booster. And they all have drum brakes all around -- not like 2600 where some are drum and some disk and some both. Yet would not be a great problem to convert.

However, when talking about water running through intake manifolds, termperature management in solex carb is critical since the manifold uses a "wet plenum" theory. Once the water is at engine temperature and it keeps intake manifold warm and that helps keep raw gas from precipitating out of the mixture when secondary opens. That is one of problems of webers when using siamesed intake manifold of solex usage. Webers run on a "puff of air" theory that allows more gas droplets to be carried because the air moves faster the more the throttle is pushed down. The air passing through the carburetors does not subsequently have move through a larger area (siamesed common ariea) where surface density drops. That is why weber carbs on un-modified solex intake manifolds end up with raw gas dripping out the ends of the carbs onto the seam between fender and engine compartment. Eats off all the paint and can cause fires. Can be a real bummer.

BTW, I saw no cold air box on the 2600 from Canada at the Potlatch. The weber carburetor noise with open velocity stacks does get pretty loud. That is why I always modify cold air box too. Jay
b osagwith olenumi

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I am going to bay one of these manifolds at OKP in W14. Before mounting it, I will like to have it painted. On Ferrari the valve cover is painted with this special read collar. also seen on the cover of some Alfas .I will like to have that surface of the paint only in black.
Does anybody know what type of paint that is used.
attach picture of a 1900 sprint engine, witch I my opinion do look very nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
The type of paint is "crackle" or FWIW "Schrumpflack" in German. It is available in a spray can or as powdercoating.

If you use a spray can using it on a warm sunny day outside is usually enough to get the crackle effect or alternatively you can use a hair dryer or heat gun.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Krinkle Finish

:) Information as to krinkle finish and using sun's heat or heat gun (watch out you don't get too hot) is absolutely correct. Spray can is easiiest. However, on two liter there should be that same black krinkle finish on the head, not like this 1900 which is wrongly still bare aluminum, and the spark plug connectors are too modern. May run very nice (even, frankly, looks very nice since it is clean) but not as authentic as it could be. JAY

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
There is a super-expensive (about $40 a can) black/red wrinkle paint available from here, claimed to be superior to any other. Can only suggest you send them an email as my own brief search just now didn't find anything, but I know it's there ....

Alex.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts