Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow AlfaBB member Baldanzi and I are at a similar point in freshening an early 70's Super, i.e.- dash out, heater out, etc. and I didn't want to hijack his thread but thought these pics might reinforce the mantra of "50/50 is really nifty" or somesuch sage automotive advice.
Heater valve seemed a bit frozen and was more easily replaced by removing the entire heater assy'. Good thing cause this is what I found. Will be replacing hoses, clamps, valve, foam and perhaps heater core after I test it. Glad I took the time and required bodily contortions to get it out. Definite Alfa Repair Mission Creep but obviously worth it...this time. Loop

·
Premium Member
24,990 Posts
I bought a Berlina in Phoenix that used the local hard water for decades and no antifreeze. Head gasket was totally eroded and head so eaten I had to junk it. Conversely, my Giulietta Veloce, maintained for 30 years by Les Hurlock, had no corrosion at all on disassembly in 2020.
Andrew

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
In Canada, we have no choice, but to use antifreeze. 🥶

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This car came from Catania, IT and was supposedly on display/storage as part of a personal collection and not driven much since about 2000. Anything touching coolant, which was tap water only apparently, needed attention and or replacement including the radiator, cylinder head, head gasket, etc.
We won't get into the braking system issues that needed attention due to long term storage before the car hit U.S. shores, but they have been resolved.
No complaints though- it's a very solid, straight, complete car with no current rust issues, seriously. And everything is there and everything works, heater notwithstanding. I have put 1600 miles on it since Feb. of last year and have never owned a car that get's as much positive attention from car folks as well as yer average Joe/Jill. I didn't completely get the mystique referred to by Andrew, et al about these sedans but I do now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1973 Guilia Super 1.3 | 1750 Engine with Weber DCOE 40 Tipo 32
341 Posts
I forgot how much of a doppleganger your car is to mine! My heater valve was just as bad but it was obvious it had been pulled out and a cork was put into the hot water supply line, then reinstalled! It looks like it happened a long time ago. I am guessing that heat wasn't viewed as a necessity in Lecce at some point in the car's life. Down south I can 100% confirm that all they run is water in the cooling system. A step up, is distilled water if you are lucky. Most didn't even bother. I assume that in Catania, in addition to using water - I doubt the heater was used that often.

·
Registered
97-916 Spider Ph-1 US Certified
53 Posts
Fellow AlfaBB member Baldanzi and I are at a similar point in freshening an early 70's Super, i.e.- dash out, heater out, etc. and I didn't want to hijack his thread but thought these pics might reinforce the mantra of "50/50 is really nifty" or somesuch sage automotive advice.
Heater valve seemed a bit frozen and was more easily replaced by removing the entire heater assy'. Good thing cause this is what I found. Will be replacing hoses, clamps, valve, foam and perhaps heater core after I test it. Glad I took the time and required bodily contortions to get it out. Definite Alfa Repair Mission Creep but obviously worth it...this time. Loop
You (owners) DISTILLED WATER should be the only water used in the cooling system and battery you will have no hard water build up

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am happy to run 100% distilled water in this car, it's just that I don't trust myself to remember to add antifreeze in the winter here as it does occasionally dip below 0 F. About 6 below a few nights ago. Not that this car will ever intentionally spend the night outside as long as I own it.😁

·
Registered
596 Posts
Let's not forget the other reasons for using antifreeze. It is for example the lubricity, the increased boiling point and the anti-corrosion properties. After all it is not just the Glycol but the additives that make it beneficial.

·
Registered
97-916 Spider Ph-1 US Certified
53 Posts
I am happy to run 100% distilled water in this car, it's just that I don't trust myself to remember to add antifreeze in the winter here as it does occasionally dip below 0 F. About 6 below a few nights ago. Not that this car will ever intentionally spend the night outside as long as I own it.😁
I meant to say 50/50 mix distilled water /antifreeze

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
18,212 Posts
Even in Taos, antifreeze is the best for both extremes of temperature in that area, esp if you go skiing as well as drive in the hot summer (didn't know it got down to less than 10F there, but it is higher altitude). Plus, as they say, it helps lube things and slow if not stop corrosion.

Very nice car. One of my favs, maybe more than my original 64 Sprint GT.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts