Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look what I found. :eek:

I learned thru various parts catalogues and the owner's manual its called either the stabilizer bar link or the sway bar end link. The question now is...how do I fix it? Also, until it's repaired, is it unsafe to drive the car or will further damage be done?

As always y'alls help has been invaluable. Thanks again. Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Very easy to replace, Just had mine off my car. Remove the bolt that holds one end to the lower wishbone, and remove the one that holds the other end to the sway bar.

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
20yearoldspider had asked: "until it's repaired, is it unsafe to drive the car or will further damage be done?"

No, I don't think that your car will be unsafe with the swaybar detached. I wouldn't try cornering at 10 tenths on a mountain road with no guardrails, but under ordinary conditions, you probably won't detect the difference.

You might want to remove the separated link, even before you get its replacement. From your photo, it looks as if the link could hit the brake hose as it moves up and down - you wouldn't want it to wear through the hose - and you'll need to remove the old link eventually.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks once again all.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I replaced both swaybar end links a few weeks ago. Once I removed the links, I found that the lower mount and end link threads were "staked" so I had to drill a bit to clean things out. It also took a bit of heat to get the mount to unscrew easily. Still a simple job. Jay is right as to driving without repairing it. You'll just have more body roll.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Let me disagree slightly regarding driving the car with the front swaybar attached. If you need the car to get to work, you could drive it carefully. But the swaybar does more than just limit body roll. It controls weight transfer at that end of the car. In an evasive maneuver with the front bar unhooked, you would very likely spin the car as most of the roll stiffness would be at the rear.

Erik

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lower mount won't cooperate

Hey guys-

Little help please. I cant seem to get the old lower end link out of the lower mount. If you can make out the pics below, it appears there is some sort of factory punch (assuming its the original part) made to keep it from working itself loose. Maybe this is what Jeff was talking about in his reply about the end link threads being "staked".

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Please dumb them down for me.:eek:

Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Ken-
Your bottom pic shows where it is staked to keep things from coming apart. You need to put it in a vise and drill right into those divots (I just grabbed a bit, maybe 3/8" or so.) You just need to drill in a little bit-just enough to clear the threads. You will be drilling into the threads too, but that's the point. Then you can use a pipe wrench to unscrew the ball. If needed, use a little heat. If you have a big pipe wrench you probably won't need heat.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Jeff. Worked like a charm!!! K

1 - 13 of 13 Posts