Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys-
I just washed the pollen and crap off the car (it lives under a carport and is my daily driver). The clearcoat is failing fast, and there are lots of stone chips on the front end. The color is AR643 Champagne.
Since I do my own body and paint, I'm seriously thinking about this as a fairly quick project.
I'm thinking about adding a little bit of copper pearl or something similar to the clear just to emphasize the body lines a bit.
I'm open to opinions!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
My own preference is to always duplicate the original color. The pearly clears look somewhat "blingy" if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Del-
I know exactly what you mean. I'm also considering going a tiny bit darker in the base color (my red 91 was a factory variant-"more violet"), something you wouldn't hardly see. It's going to be an overall job so no blending.

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
It is amazing just how some paint jobs on cars do last, or don't. While the paint on your car is toast, the exact same color on my 94LS, with 110 miles) is still almost as new, with great clear coat, and only a very few rock chips on the front of the hood. There are a couple of slight "kids on bikes" dings on the sides, but still rather good. Looks pretty good from a couple of feet.

Same for the paint on my wife's Milano, with 100k miles, almost as new paint. Of course, no clear coat on those cars. A good claying and wax job would make it just like new, IMO. Well, except for the several rock chips on the hood, and the slight gravel abrasion on the bottom fronts of the rear wheel wells.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Are you going to be pulling a lot of trim off? Like that kind of job, or try to get away with masking a lot?

I only ask because all of the plastic clips and fasteners that I touch on mine are very brittle. Expect to get creative with sourcing or substituting those parts. But I believe I saw a parts car in that pic, and I think you've been through these cars a little before! Maybe old news to you.

Keeping it the same or close to original eliminates issues with mismatched door jambs, engine bay, etc, so that appels to me unless it's all gonna get sprayed.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Del-
Having lived on the southern OR coast for 17 years, I can say that the summers in this region are much harder on paint! This car lived outside in Springfield, MO for about 15 years.
John-
If I do a teeny bit darker variant it will very hard to see the color diff. This is going to be a nice driver quality job.

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
Yeah, the sun doesn't have much of a chance to do much damage to the paint, as the skies in the coastal NW are cloudy more often than not, and the temperatures just don't get that high.

When I had my 91S painted, I don't think they removed the side paneling, but I sure cannot tell, the job being that good. I had no problem with them not removing the stuff, as it can be easily masked with no trace.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts