Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm rather smitten by GTV's and would like to get one. I'd really like a GTV6 of course, but if I find one of the 4cyl ones at a good price I'd probably buy it. So what areas of the car should I pay close attention to when looking to purchase. What problem areas do they have?

Do they use mechanical or electrical FI?

Other than the obvious V6 and budged hood, what is different between the GTV and GTV6?

What types repairs are the most difficult? I ask this question because I'm more likely to buy a car that needs some TLC than buy one that is perfect. I'm certainly not afraid of mechanical work, but I have to take into consideration the type of repairs that would be necessary. For example a Fiat X1/9 needing a new clutch master cylinder would instantly make it $100 car to me regardless of the rest of its condition... :D

Any other tips for an aspiring GTV owner?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
4 vs 6? The 4's (alfettas) have Spica fuel injection and the the V6's have Bosch. I've owned 5 alfettas. The Spica ones that I've had have behaved themselves and the weber-ized ones have been loads of fun. I ditched the Spica engine for a Twin Spark in my current '78 GTV. Things to watch for? Driveshaft issues and rust. If you choose a 4 (GTV) buy one from out west. Alfa made them out of soviet steel that wasn't the best, unfortunately. The V6's have a better record against rust, but still suffer from it. Other areas? Two of mine have needed rear wheel bearings replaced which is a job I left to the mechanics. Once the drive shaft, wheel bearing issues were sorted and I got the TS in my current one, I LOVE driving it! I handles superbly, the brakes are very strong and the steering is very direct. I don't want to part with it... I'm sure V6 owners will chime in here. I've not owned one, so I'm not familiar with them, but they are great cars. -Clark

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Adding to Clark's post, the Spica is a mechanical fuel injection, whereas the Bosch in the GTV-6 was electronic.
The basic difference is power. The 4 cyl. cars are better balanced, and the consensus seems to be that they are the better handlers, with less nose-heavy induced push.
Rust is a big issue - expect to have some, the trick is making sure it's not structural. Check underneath the car carefully - and in the engine bay's lower extremities (shock towers too).
Do a search on this site for "buying Alfetta" and I believe there are a few threads that discuss in depth what else to look for (there's a lot that can be wrong with a 20 - 30 year old car of any make).

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did a search and found the "GTV6 vs Alfetta GT" thread. Very good read. After reading that I've decided they are both great cars in their own right and whichever I find first at a good price will likely be what I end up with.

I'm no stranger to old cars. I don't currently own anything newer than 1982 (BMW 320i). I also have several Fiats, so I'm no stranger to rust either, lol...

I'm really not a fan of mechanical injection. My 320i has it and it's a pain. Much rather have EFI (Megasquirt is on the to do list for the BMW). I take it it's pretty easy to convert the 4cyl engine to DCNFs or IDFs? Still, I'd probably rather have EFI than carbs... Is there an EFI manifold that bolts to that engine?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I drove a 79 GTV tonight...

Well, I drove a 79 GTV tonight...

Two things really jumped out at me:
1) The clutch was really heavy. A lot heavier than I was ever expecting. The clutch is in in the transaxle, right? Does it use hydraulic clutch or cable?
2) the shifter was very sloppy and the throw was really long. Is that something normal for these cars? I know the linkage is long, but I've driven a handful of Porsche 944s before and even the worst of their shifters was much, much tighter than this one. There wasn't any real positive feel to it at all. Is this something that a set of shifter bushing usually fixes?

The engine also seemed lackluster, but I suspect it has some FI issues since it spat and sputtered some, too. On a positive note, I drove my X1/9 over to the guys place and he seemed impressed with it :D

So what do you guys think about my two gripes on the car? I think I need to drive more GTVs to compare... Who wants to let me borrow their car? ;)

·
Registered
750 Posts
A two liter GTV is not going to be anything of a rocketship with a stock motor, so you can expect it to sound good and be quick to rev and make it's power up high as you'd expect and be very nimble in the twisty turns ... a stock gtv6 is a whole different experience, strong torque and power - it will get up and GO.

The clutch, yes heavy compared to other cars, also very little feel (you get used to it) compared to other cars, it's basically either engaged or not, in or out there isn't a lot of distance the clutch pedal has to move so you don't have all this room to slowly engage the clutch as on other cars ... or to wear the clutch either. It's either off or on.

Shifter - it is no 944! Even with new bushings, etc. And don't expect it just to suck the shifter right into place either - no way. You have to control it, and put the shifter where it needs to go. Loose and vague is the norm.

I love the look and balance of Alfetta GTs but for me there is no comparison to the torque and power of the v6, go find a gtv6 to try and then you'll have your comparison.

GV

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Yes, the Alfettas are under powered and the stock shifter is poor. I solved those porblems with the TwinSpark and a Shankle sure shift in my car. Yes, the clutch is in the back and it's heavy, but I'm used to it. The car has two flywheels, one at the back of the engine and a second in the clutch assembly, so revving up and down isn't super quick.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Well - sure wish you were closer to San Francisco - I'd let you drive my car for comparison. I too have a sure-shift kit + a newly rebuilt transmission. As it is right now, it shift very tightly, with zero slop and no need to overthink your 2nd gear shifts. That said - my sedan has a new transmission as well, but no sure-shift kit - and second gear still requires warming up before it's happily shifting, but it's good once warm. As for power, my car has the stock Spica, with Shankle headers, and I'm beginning to suspect hotter cams. It's considerably faster than my sedan (Spica w/Euro cast-iron headers), with much more upper end power. Once on a rally, I had several people commenting on how fast the car was - they wanted to know if it was turbo-charged or supercharged, because I was easily able to keep up with a pair of Sunbeam Tigers, a 911 & 914, and a 280Z amongst others. The fuel injection, once set up correctly, really isn't a problem. Just leave it alone and it's happy.
Clutches are heavy - but think of it as doing exercise - along with the heavy low speed steering! :) They are hydraulic.
Carb conversions are fairly common, though I believe it's difficult to locate intake manifold mounting plates unless you get one from a donor Alfetta...
If you're looking for high end power, for everyday freeway style driving, I think the GTV-6 is the way to go. If you're more into carving the backroads and twisties, the Alfetta is hard to beat.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
you can call BJ at Italian Motor Service in Spicewood. Last time I was out there he has a couple on GTV6's that looked driveable, so you could have a feel. I understand his business was flooded though, so I am not sure whether he got all cars to safety in time:(:(

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I could easily get used to the clutch. I guess it was just a shock getting out of my x1/9 with its light hydraulic clutch and notchy shifter and getting into the GTV. I did some searching on the sure-shift kit, but didn't find as much info as I had hoped. I've never seen how the whole shifter on a GTV goes together, but I'm wondering if I'd be able to figure out some improvements. I'm not if most GTVs are as bad as the one I tried, but I wouldn't be able to live with that.

Italian Motor Service, huh? I had never actually heard of them. I'll be sure to give them a call tomorrow. Thanks!

·
Registered
324 Posts
A sloppy shifter is definately not normal for a GTV6 linkage in good order. If its sloppy then the bushes and bearings are worn out. It should be a long throw, but easily addressed with aftermarket modified shifters. I have an aftermarket which I fitted recently, and it is way better than standard,producing the same sort of feel as a modern GM or ford H set up, and my standard one was good with no wear. The alfetta is great, but IMHO you will always be wanting in the power and torque department with the standard engine. a GTV6 with coil over suspension set up, modified shifter and some mild top end engine work, is quick as [email protected]! and handles. if you buy a GTV6 though I would plum for a 3litre if you can, its not as sweet as the 2.5, but has more grunt.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am surprised that no one has mentioned hydrolic timing belt tensioners compared to the after market mechanical tensioner. I speak from experience that a dead gtv6 is not nearly as fun as when it was running. Also if a new clutch is needed. The owner can expect a pricey event. And that doesn't take into consideration any potential drive shaft vibration. This too will detract from a positive driving experience. Both of these concerns/repairs are best left to a seasoned, and properly "tooled " mechanic. start saving your pocket change to afford doing it right. Anything short of doing it right will result in disappointment.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a '98 model GTV 2.0 Twin Spark with LPI. I have some much fun with this car.
Before then i was not into alfas. But since i have this one i think different about it. Very nice design and sporty interior. I adore the engine sound of this car.
Small disatventage is the that the backseats are too small for a adults.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts