Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...though I have a concern about parts availability, particularly some of the electronic controls like the engine management ECU. Should I be concerned about parts availability?

·
Premium Member
9,748 Posts
...though I have a concern about parts availability, particularly some of the electronic controls like the engine management ECU. Should I be concerned about parts availability?
naa, plenty available. ECU? Not really a problem with the S. If it is I have plenty of junkyard access in Europe for those. Great car.
Jason

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Like Jason says don't worry about those parts but I say make sure the Hvac systems works. A.K.A. stepper motor it's not that parts cannot be found it's just a nightmare to replace. Also check the electronic suspension system for leaks. Replacing the electronic adjustable shocks are real expensive and most people end up putting in Koni Sports or L shocks.

In the last week I replaced the rack and pinion on my L a drivers front lower conrol arm and the rack and pinion bushing on my S as well as a receiver dryer for my L. All parts where here in a day or so.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
The S is a very nice ride when sorted out. When the struts are poor or the springs are sagged, it can be bouncy and unstable. I like them. We have two in the family plus a couple of Ls.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Once you get the S sorted out, it really is a fun sports sedan to drive. I recently had a chance to run my S on the track and autocross, the performance envelope is pretty big. I was impressed how much balance such a big car has. The 164 has the best AC on any Alfa brought into the US. For a road trip this is my Alfa of choice.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Andrew, you could have shaved a second off your lap time if you had shut your sun roof! I saw chassis flex galore in those pics! ;)

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
I tried that one time at our club driving school in my GTV6 and got black flagged for open sun roof.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The GTV6 sunroof only slides back. The 164 sunroof also tilts up. I know that the SCCA would not allow either situation. The AROC is much more relaxed in its rules. Especially when you consider the spiders running roll bars and the drivers head is 3-4' above the top bar. They had bigger fish to fry then tilted up sunroof. When it was my turn to drive I closed the sunroof.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts