Alfa Romeo Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
@ Ken,

The door begins to jam when the first front third of the door begins to touch the seal.

The gaskets are the most expensive and "soft" gaskets sold by our dealers.

I don't know if the car has shims because I didn't put the doors onto the car. With shims, the door will be "further back" (back of the car) than today, and I don't see the gain. Because it's the seal that has to be further in (in the car) from its position.

But the seal is against the lip of the car. There's no room to move it in anymore... I repeat that the material of the seal is too hard, that's all.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Or fit spider door seals as afaholics seem to do on their builds. Not sure how that works at the lower sill trim, but everywhere else they slide over the body edges (just like on a Giulia, more or less).

This does mean you lose the visible stainless trim on the inside though.

·
Administrator
15,949 Posts
Interesting. I've spoken to Alfaholics about the door seal issue and what they told me is they sacrifice a set of seals by giving them to the panel beaters and using them for trial fitting. This makes sense as the only way to get this whole area to work is to do this and modify, where necessary, before paint

Pete

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
😀😀😀 Pete, do you think we didn't try this way ? But the seal is ready for trash after body work. And then you have a new seal in hands... with a painted car !

·
Administrator
15,949 Posts
😀😀😀 Pete, do you think we didn't try this way ? But the seal is ready for trash after body work. And then you have a new seal in hands... with a painted car !
Yeah expensive. Maybe they suggest that to sell more seals :D

I do not know what to suggest. I had this problem I think (?) but, luckily, before paint and I modified my doors. Maybe you can trim away some of the seal at the tightest point. While not ideal might not be too noticeable ... ?

And until I have painted and assembled my car, I cannot guarantee that I won't have this problem also
Pete

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I think I will cut the seal around the door and put a softer seal from germany, as showned before in this thread.

But won't the cut between the original gasket and the new one look too bad ?

21 - 30 of 30 Posts