Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Thinking about buying a Giulia Super, help needed

4K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  FastFreddie 
#1 ·
I have found a really nice example of a 1968 Giulia Super. How do I check that the engine is ”matchin numbers”? Another question is regarding the term Bollino d’oro. Sometimes cars are called that. How can you tell and what is the difference from a normal Giulia? Thanks in advance for your help

#2 ·
A couple of sticky threads at the top of the Giulia subforum should make your head spin at the differences in models. Bollino d’Oro should have the round gold badges on the c pillar trim. If it has a serpent it’s a Biscione. Bollino d’Oro will have the longer arm rests. 68 will probably have a 5 bar grille, steering wheel like the GT Veloce and a few extra things the 66/67 Bollino d’Oro’s didn’t have. Message me with your email and I’ll send you a pdf of the model I think you are looking at. Don’t have the Fusi numbers near but the engine number should start with 00526xxxxx. Carbs should be 40DCOE27 I think. If not 40DCOE24’s like the previous model year.

#3 ·
Thanks! Just spent some time to go through those threads. Yes, there are a lot of variants. I found the Fusi list online and according to that the car is a -67. Does it mean that all Super from -67 are Bollino d'Oro? The reason I ask is in some ads they make it sound like it is incredibly rare and desirable.

#4 ·
I am biased on the desirable part! As for rare, well they made plenty, but I think they are rarer in Europe as they sold more 1300’s due to the tax thing. Others will chime in with more objective views. Here’s mine

#5 ·
After about 1960 Alfa didn't record what specific engine went into a specific car. In some cases that got noted on invoice, libretto, shipping docs, but it's not common and how much of that kind of paperwork do you find nowadays?

For a 1600 Super, it'd be an 00526 engine. 1600 TI, 00514. Each model has an engine series number, and Fusi's book, PDFs of which are in the History section, will tell you a range for each year. So you can get in the ballpark.

Andrew

#6 ·
I can't tell from your little flag where you are located and what the Giulia population might be there. Most folks seem to want a first series Giulia Super 1600. Fair enough, I agree. But if I were looking, I'd buy the best car I could find for price and condition and worry about the specification later. I just looked at a Nuova 1300 Super that got a facelift to look like an earlier car, and if I didn't already have one I'd be all over it. Drop in a 1750 if I wanted more power.
We all have our specific tastes, and some folks are more willing and able to dig in and do work. But for me, I'd buy the best car I could afford and not worry about which variant. They're all fun. I drove 3300 miles 10 years ago from Boston to Berkeley in a not-fast 1300 TI; it was great.
Andrew

#7 ·
While Supers are enjoying a bloom they didn't always have, I seriously doubt "matching numbers" will move the needle when you sell it, nor should it when you buy it.

I can imagine that it might matter with an early series, owned only by the museo, with a single digit serial number.

#8 ·
I have a different experience with an old Alfa. A couple of years ago I bought a Giulia spider- 63. When the engine broke down, I realized that the engine originally came from a Giulia Sedan. When the time came to sell the car, it made it much more difficult to get the correct price, so i do believe even for these cars it makes a difference.

#9 ·
A 63 spider is different. So many of the sedans have engine swaps. One of the pros can chime in here but there were over 500,000 sedans made. I’d be more particular if it was an early one with an original 1600. I guess long term originality is always good

#10 ·
We need some pictures or a chassis number to tell the model year....
My super is a '68 model but was produced in December, 1967. It is a transition between earlier models and the much changed '69s.

#13 ·
Thank's for you help and advise. I bought the car yesterday, will post pictures when I get it home in a few weeks. In short the car is absolutely gorgeous in very good condition. Chassies number: AR866 560, engine 526 53833 which fits according to the Fusi list. A bit of a sad story actually. The owner bought the car in 1974 and used it as normal transport until the late 80's. Put it in storage for 20 years. Started full restauration in 2009, dies in 2015 with the car in pieces. The family spent a fortune to finish the car, just to find out that no one in the family is very interested to use it. Now it is mine:)

Reactions: deepblue
#16 ·
Picked up the car yesterday and drove it 240 km home. I was surprised by the low wind noise.

Attachments

Reactions: avidtest
#19 ·
Spent the day cleaning and polishing the car. Now it looks really good! Yes the Moretti is a cool car:)

Attachments

Reactions: Austin Alfa
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.