Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Regarding the stop-start feature, does the engine have a way to maintain it's oil pressure during these short engine-off cycles?
I don't think so. Oil pressure isn't vital, film strength and bearing material are. These engines have specially treated crank bearings to retain oil and protect the bearing from restart wear.

Bearings are protected by film wedging effects not pressure. When the bearing rotates it generates shearing forces in the oil film. Those shearing forces cause the oil film to form a wedge inside the bearing clearance which keeps the crank journal from touching the bearing. Think speedboat or surfboard on water. This effect is not dependent on oil pressure but on film strength, viscosity and bearing clearance. Stop start equipped engines retain oil in the bearing more effectively than previous designs.

Oil pressure just keeps the oil moving through the bearing at the correct rate to keep the oil cool enough to do its job. Pressure isn't needed for engine restarts, as you will understand as every engine start is at basically zero oil pressure.

Using correct specification and SAE grade is even more important now than in the past. Use the oil specified by Alfa. Period.

Coolant is handled differently. There is an electric pump which keeps the coolant circulating. Turbo engines have had these for decades now to protect turbo bearings from heat soak after shut down. These stop start engines use similar technology.

The software takes inputs from various sources to decide if the engine needs to restart before the driver calls for it by lifting off the brake pedal. It really is genius stuff.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Ya, I see what you mean. Yours sounds too quiet for me tho. Kept waiting for the “After” to kick in as it sounded quiet like stock in the video.
Somewhere in the middle of those would be about right for me.

I Listened to some muffler delete vids and they sounded in that range. I’d probably do that or install an electric exhaust cutout so you could have both mild and wild or anything in between. Did that on my old BMW 540 and it was great.
Take it from me, no way is it too quiet!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Not a Guilia but I have a Stelvio Ti. Every time I drive it I am thrilled that I have a modern Alfa as a DD. Is it perfect? No. Get a Ti with sport seats. If you are lucky find one with the mechanical LSD. Get rid of the stock tires. I have just installed Michelin’s Pilot Sport 4 SUV, awesome. Lots of good tire choices for a Guilia. Get a later car if you want CarPlay. No big deal. When you start the car, punch the button to turn off start stop. If you want more power, easy to get with exhaust and tune. Brakes can be a bit grabby but it doesn’t bother met.

I have a 3.0 gtv6 and another 2.0 gtv6 almost done. Love them. I don’t feel like driving them 30k/yr. Stelvio hold my dog crate perfectly. I’d buy the lighter Guilia and if in the south, look for a 2wd version with LSD, sport seats, shift paddles and carplay.

just one owners opinion, but these cars are true to Alfas heritage, drive great, have some quirks, and the dealer network is spotty. FWIW, my 36,000 mile service done at my independent Alfa shop was $800 bucks including tax. Buy, drive and be happy.

don’t obsess over start stop, just punch the cancel button. Really.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Does anyone have anything good to say about them?
I've had zero issues (and I mean zero) with my '17 Ti, March build July purchase, coming up on 22k miles. I made sure all the software updates had been done and continue to stay on top of those (so far, only required one trip outside of scheduled maintenance). The only hardware issue I've seen with the 2.0s is the factory battery. Maybe because mine hadn't sat long at all and I've always disabled the Start/Stop, I've never had an issue with the factory battery. So, if Carplay isn't important to you, I don't think there's much difference hardware-wise between the '17s and later (I've seen a couple really minor fit issues -- one with the rear bumper and one with the trunk lid -- that were addressed at some point in the '18 MY but I doubt most people would ever notice). If I were buying a '17 from an Alfa dealer, I'd insist on the latest Nav/Inoftainment software and a better battery if it still has the original. Given those, I don't think there's a meaningful difference between '17s and later MYs. I'd go for the best car/deal. Again, if that Carplay business isn't important to you; if it is, make sure your car has it; the '17s and early '18s (if I understand correctly) can't be retrofitted for it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does anyone have anything good to say about them?
I have a ‘17 Ti Sport, loaded, and have not had a single problem (knock on wood). The car has been very enjoyable and gets looks everywhere I go, of course the ‘rosso competizione’ color warrants that. The only mod I did with my car is add a quadrifoglio like carbon fiber spoiler.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts