Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Does anyone have anything good to say about them?
From asking owners and looking at BB comments it looks like there are not many reported issues with these cars, so far. Most complaints I here is about the NAV or the fact that conference calls are difficult to manage. A couple of "non Alfa Owners" (meaning not really car people) liked their lease Alfas but would consider any other similar car when their 2 yrs is up. But really liked the car.
And for less than $22k on the left side of the country you can have a 2017 Giulia, maybe not a TI, with about 20k miles and 1-2 yrs of warranty left. Especially now that the first batch of 2 yr leases are ending so lots of '17 Giulias are on the used market now.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
I have only good things to say about my 2017 Giulia that I have owned for 2.5 years. I drove everything in the segment before deciding on the Giulia...it was a far better drivers car than similar Audi, BMW, Jag, Lexus, etc. And I do many concalls from it...no issues.

Two knits: 1) need to be careful parking next to curbs due to the front nose overhang...you can scratch it on the curb; 2) driver seat auto adjusts backward to make it easier for driver to exit...but traps rear passenger's feet in the process.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Does anyone have anything good to say about them?
I ordered my Giulia in Dec 2016, I never had a test drive, there was no need to, I knew it would be perfect. Now 31K miles and three years later my decision was correct. Just buy it.

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Best car I have ever owned.

·
Super Moderator
10,071 Posts
And for less than $22k on the left side of the country you can have a 2017 Giulia, maybe not a TI, with about 20k miles and 1-2 yrs of warranty left.
I'm seeing the base models for ~$25K at the OC and San Diego dealerships, but some independent lots are offering them in the $22K range. It takes a little hunting to find one in the low $20K's, but whatever the source, they're a heck of a deal.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mine has been great after a 16,000 miles. I still love getting into it every day.

Minor complaints: 2017s don't have Apple CarPlay if that's important to you, and the Start/Stop system has to be deactivated every start up. You get used to pushing the button to turn it off, so again, just a minor thing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
604doc - I’ve driven Audi’s, VWs and BMWs with stop-start. Restarting after deactivation they all default back to stop-start mode which I agree is a pain because I don’t like it either. When I switch it off I want it to stay off but I smell the heavy hand of the federalies.

·
Premium Member
2,544 Posts
I was all set to start looking for one, and our local dealership shut down. Closest service is now 60 miles away.

Bummer

·
Registered
114 Posts
604doc - I’ve driven Audi’s, VWs and BMWs with stop-start. Restarting after deactivation they all default back to stop-start mode which I agree is a pain because I don’t like it either. When I switch it off I want it to stay off but I smell the heavy hand of the federalies.
I had a 2016 M4 previously to this Giulia, that once you turned it off, it stayed off during subsequent restarts. That being said, my boss's 2019 M760 reverts back to start/stop, so I guess they probably all do now.

The only time start/stop really bugs me on the Giulia, if I forget to turn it off, is while stopped on a hill. There can be an uncomfortable roll back between letting off the brake and getting on the gas.

Cheers!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cheers to you too! Personally I think stop-start is a joke. How much gasoline relative to the wear and tear on the battery and starter are we really saving? Plus, it’s a creepy feeling to have my car die at every stop.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Good luck. I'm strongly considering a nice off-lease Giulia TI. Must have the bolstered sport seats, so I'm probably spending more than $25k.

Did you know that you can get a MOPAR extended warranty? You can buy one online for far cheaper than dealers sell them for. About $1400 for the Maximum Care plan if it has under 25,000 miles. Compare Chrysler Extended Warranty Plans, part by part.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I was all set to start looking for one, and our local dealership shut down. Closest service is now 60 miles away.

Bummer
Some have to travel further that than that even on our small island.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have an ‘18. I looked at and drove all the competitors, and it took about 30 seconds in the Giulia to know it was the one. It was a better drive by a huge margin than anything else. Love it.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Cheers to you too! Personally I think stop-start is a joke. How much gasoline relative to the wear and tear on the battery and starter are we really saving? Plus, it’s a creepy feeling to have my car die at every stop.
Stop start uses a separate battery and the system deactivates automatically if battery power drops below a designated minimum. Starter is designed to handle the extra starts and anyway loading on a starter is very low on these hot restarts. If you try the system out for awhile you may find you appreciate the calm and quiet while the engine is off. It can be a pleasant feature with no drawbacks.

At our gas prices stop start makes no economic sense but for CAFE compliance these features are needed for powerful engines. That's why you cannot switch them off permanently just btw. Since you have to pay for the system anyway there is no cost benefit analysis. The fuel saving is real even if the $$$$ saved are minimal because we have to save a lot of gas to save much money. If you could delete the feature and pocket the cash you should. But you can't.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I tried to like it. I utterly failed.
Drawbacks:
1) It’s ANNOYING.
2) The shake that accompanies the restart.
3) The slight but nonetheless real delay when restarting.
4) The significantly longer delay that results if the engine is in the process of stopping at the moment you want/need to go again.
5) It’s ANNOYING.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Stop start uses a separate battery and the system deactivates automatically if battery power drops below a designated minimum. Starter is designed to handle the extra starts and anyway loading on a starter is very low on these hot restarts. If you try the system out for awhile you may find you appreciate the calm and quiet while the engine is off. It can be a pleasant feature with no drawbacks.

At our gas prices stop start makes no economic sense but for CAFE compliance these features are needed for powerful engines. That's why you cannot switch them off permanently just btw. Since you have to pay for the system anyway there is no cost benefit analysis. The fuel saving is real even if the $$$$ saved are minimal because we have to save a lot of gas to save much money. If you could delete the feature and pocket the cash you should. But you can't.
Separate battery? Wheres that situated?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts