Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I haven't had a spider since 2 years ago when I sold my 1984, I have a 164L but I want to get a spare car for those days when the 164 gives me lip. The spider is a great car with zero rust and well kept. Everyone I know thinks I'm crazy for buying another Alfa since my 164 has been a bit of trouble, but the 3.0 is intoxicating. My 164 is my primary car, I just need a second car. Please tell me I'm not crazy.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I don't think you're crazy, but, if you MUST be some place at a definite time, you might consider a third car...perhaps a Honda or Toyota!

·
Premium Member
22,383 Posts
I've been using a 105/115 Alfa as a daily car since 1977. I do have backups, but I don't need them. Once dialed in, I think these are very reliable cars.
Andrew

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fellas! I do believe in my 164L. She has been a headache, but I've pulled though the toughest moments. I want to do some work on it, but that will require some down time. So I do need a second car. Do 1990 graduates have rust protection or is it prone to rust like early cars? I ask since I plan on driving it up to Seattle over the weekend if I decide to buy it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
No you're not crazy. In fact you need 2.

That's part of the charm of driving a 30-40 yr old car. Will it start? Is this the day the hood release cable breaks?, New oil leaks?

All good stuff, you should be fine with 2.

·
Registered
585 Posts
An Alfa is like a good sexy Italian woman (especially a red one). Keep her treated well, and she will love you and tend to all your whims. Mis-treat her, and you will have a myriad of problems. ENJOY HER!!!

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Do 1990 graduates have rust protection or is it prone to rust like early cars?
I've owned two Spiders, an 83 and a 90. I've been amazed at the difference in rust protection between them. There seemed to be no end to rust issues on the 83 - I finally gave up trying and sold it 7 years ago and bought a rust free 90 Graduate. Unlike the 83 the 90 sheet metal appears to be galvanized metal. I've had no rust issues with the 90.

·
Registered
520 Posts
i love the 90 graduate. a perfect combo of the S4's motronic reliability with the lightest of all the spider bodies. Mine has gone 200k miles and has proven to be the most reliable car I have ever had.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
S3 Spiders are way easier to maintain and are much less finicky than a 164 and a 1990 has the best of the EFI. I'd go for it. I'm looking for one myself, would like a Veloce but one takes what one can get sometimes.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gonna pull the trigger. I'm in love with it! Hey Sicilian! How's the 1974 1750 spider I sold you some years ago? I remember the rust was pretty bad, but not bad for a $1000 Alfa at the time.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Gonna pull the trigger. I'm in love with it! Hey Sicilian! How's the 1974 1750 spider I sold you some years ago? I remember the rust was pretty bad, but not bad for a $1000 Alfa at the time.
omg hey man!

hey so I actually completely rebuilt that engine and all its pieces. left the body rough and full of character, but the mechanicals and all the chrome trim was replaced. new rubber mats, top, the works. that thing never broke down! (and sweet jesus but that thing could lay down some rubber! so much torque!) was very reliable. my friend (a sexy italian girl) drove it all the way to canada and back!

then she got rear-ended on the freeway at a stop-up in san francisco and it was totalled :(

I think that old girl went out in style with one last fling. a car like that doesnt go out quiet. she died with her boots on.

·
Registered
520 Posts
on the 90 grad. i highly recommend letting Benny at John's Alfa Romance in hollywood look at it. he knows that motor's unique setup really well.

I also highly recommend finding the 1990 shop manual. its the only one printed for just a single year's model. (the rest covering a range of years) and so its really specific for every single item, wire, and part in that exact car. i bought my manual brand-new from a reprinter for like 70$ , im gonna look to see if i can find where i got it from for ya.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What's your price range? This one is closer: 1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Graduate

I've been thinking on taking a look at it myself...
Thanks John! I took a bus from Seattle to Portland today, and met with the guys selling this 1990 you pointed out. Clean car, and Josh the seller was very knowledgeable. Those guys do know cars. Lots of Aircooled Porsches, and some other exotic stuff also. Anyway, I figured if I didn't like it, I'd get back on a bus and Trek back to Seattle. So I liked it, and bought it. It's good to be back in an S3! Best part... I drove it all the way to Seattle without a hitch.
The Gas station attendant asked me " What the hell is that?" I said "Alfa Romeo" He cracked me up when he said "Sounds Fancy" LOL!!! I'd post pics but the guy who sold me the car took some really nice ones for the ad. Thanks for pointing out this ad!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
omg hey man!

hey so I actually completely rebuilt that engine and all its pieces. left the body rough and full of character, but the mechanicals and all the chrome trim was replaced. new rubber mats, top, the works. that thing never broke down! (and sweet jesus but that thing could lay down some rubber! so much torque!) was very reliable. my friend (a sexy italian girl) drove it all the way to canada and back!

then she got rear-ended on the freeway at a stop-up in san francisco and it was totalled :(

I think that old girl went out in style with one last fling. a car like that doesnt go out quiet. she died with her boots on.
It's sad to read it. I also remember you had a black Quad, or was it a Veloce? Nice car that was! I will always remember you telling me "Don't buy one of those BMW's, get another Alfa." It stayed with me

1 - 15 of 15 Posts