Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to post the answer to what I did in a separate thread so you can find out what I did without going through all of the posts again. Also, thank you to everyone who posted messages. Some of the solutions are technically over my head but upon reflection, are clear and logical. But at the time, I was in full panic mode.

In hindsight, leaving the key in the on position in order to keep the radiator fan on certainly would have been the best thing to do. Had I known that, and now that I do, I would have. But, in my mind, first priority was to shut off the engine, not investigate why the car was overheating. So, here is what I tried.

First attempt: after I moved the car away from the other cars, I went over to the attendant and asked for two, wet towels they had been using to dry off the cars. I then stuffed the two towels into the muffler as tightly as I could. My intention was to stop the engine by not allowing exhaust gases to flow out. Theoretically, the backpressure should stop the combustion cycle by choking off its ability to exhale so to speak. This did not work as the small rust holes in my exhaust system were allowing enough of the exhaust gases to escape. Maybe, if I had gone into the car and given it some throttle, the car may have choked on itself.

Second attempt: steam and radiator fluid are still pouring out of the car and I still have not stopped the engine from running. My mind then starts to think over the many past events that have caused it to die and an idea flashes into my mind. I ask the attendant for a pair of pliers, which he had nearby. I then proceed to grab onto the fuel pump relay near the top of the radiator and yank it out like a bad tooth.

Success! The car dies. I breathe a big sigh of relief as I look over my now wounded, but very clean, foe. The car wash attendant comes over and pats me on the back and I head inside to cool off and call the auto club for a tow truck. Back at home, I disconnect the battery as all of the electrical connections were still on. I add about 3/4's of a gallon of radiator fluid and distilled water to the expansion tank until it stops draining back into the radiator. I reconnect the battery and the fuel pump relay, start up the car, and try and turn it off again. It does not turn off so the ignition switch has definitely given up the ghost. I kick out a perfectly good car and move the Alfa into the garage, pull the fuel pump relay and then disconnect the battery. Then go inside the house, have a beer and tell the story about my triumph over adversity to the wife and kids, who then think I am, the most clever man around. Ahh, if they only knew.

I hope this story was not too long, and as I said earlier, I have learned many other ways to solve this problem if it ever arises again. But isn’t part of wisdom being able to study and learn from others advice and mistakes? So, thank you everyone for taking part in this case study and hopefully you will never find yourself in a similar situation.

Regards,

Jeff
Dallas

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Sounds like you were lucky that black plastic cover over fuel pump relay was already off or you managed to get it off quick enough to get to relay.

My daughter's Quik Silver came to us with a jury-rigged wiring system running from metal bar in fuse panel for cigarette light to run fuel pump as soon as key on. They had run wire (with in line fuse at least) all the way back to under rear seat where the spliced into fuel pump wire. Why I don't know because relay and all original wiring worked fine when I hook it back up under rear seat.

As I said it is dangerous to have fuel pump run with engine off and key still on as in case of highway accident.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
yes likewise

Both my running LS's have a cover over the fuel pump and motronic relays held in place by two screws. Upon reflection, might not be a abad idea to remove that cover permanently for this kind of occasion.

Steve thanks talk to you soon

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Both my running LS's have a cover over the fuel pump and motronic relays held in place by two screws. Upon reflection, might not be a abad idea to remove that cover permanently for this kind of occasion.
Or maybe just remove one of the screws so cover still protecting them but could be rotated quickly out of the way on other screw?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Wow!! I would not have thought of that, but my car is a 5 speed, so I would not have the problem of how to kill the engine!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Or maybe just remove one of the screws so cover still protecting them but could be rotated quickly out of the way on other screw?
Good advice, I'll do that (mod) later today and be proactive. Hoping of course that I never really have to utilize it ;). Thanks JeffB99TX for bringing this up! And of couse Goats and Alfisto Steve for the easy remedy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts