Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone:

My 88 Spider has the full-size spare. Is it supposed to be just "loose" in the spare tire well? I suspect that it shifts around as I drive and makes a disconcerting noise. Has anyone anchored theirs or otherwise prevented it from moving around?

Thanks

Andy

P.S. I know that this is probably the least likely of trunk-area "thumps" that I hear. I am just trying to narrow-down the culprits!

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,026 Posts
It's just supposed to sit there. Check to make sure your jack is tight in the holder and your tool kit isn't bouncing around.

I think there's also a TSB about the sway bar hitting something and clunking. Maybe a good idea to check that and your exhaust hangers while you're at it.

Edit: its TSB #25.89.01

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Spare isn't anchored, but generally doesn't move under normal driving circumstances.
Loose battery can make noise, as can the jack and even the tailpipe and/or rear exhaust can thumping against the rear tinwork.

EDIT:
****, typing slow yet again
:waves at Tom:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Rubber door wedges around the spare will help. I'd also go with the idea of possibly battery loose, or the jack loose...Rubber around and under the jack quieted my trunk

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Did Alfa get cheap? the original 105's had a hold-down screw in the center of the tire!

Robert
Don't know when exactly they eliminated the hold down screw, but by the time I bought my new 1984 Spider, they did not have them... That said, there is no way that spare tire is the source of the thumping noise. They fit is very exact and with the shape of the bottom of the tire well, plus the weight of the the tire, it doesn't move...

Best regards,

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
You can get them to bump a bit, though it kinda requires getting all 4 tires off the road surface and a relatively flat landing, but even then its usually just one single 'thud' :)

If you've got anything sitting on top of the wheelwell cover that weighs more than a few pounds it ain't gonna happen though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If none of the above helps start elminating the causes. Start by removing the tire..then jack...If the noise continues look to loose shock or the trailing arm bushings need replaced.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THANKS everyone! I have checked the boxes for battery, jack, spare and all are properly attached or stowed, so I will be researching the TSB's that GUBI suggested and taking a look at the suspension components as culprits. Thanks again!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TSB 25.89.01; Don't try this at home?

Thanks for helping me isolate my issues. I am fairly confident that the problem is with the suspension and mounts.

TSB 25.89.01 is a simple repositioning of the sway bar away from the body gusset touch point by loosening the clamps. That sounds like something that could be done in the driveway. Has anyone actually done this?

Thanks

Andy

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,026 Posts
Just use sledge-o-matic. :D

Also note TSB 25.91.01 regarding the springs rattling against the upper perches: that's another possibility I suppose.

·
Administrator
17,467 Posts
TSB 25.89.01 is a simple repositioning of the sway bar away from the body gusset touch point by loosening the clamps. That sounds like something that could be done in the driveway. Has anyone actually done this?
I did.

Our Spider would make a thumping from the back when I went over a big enough bump in the road. Loosen the clamps, pry the sway bar a fraction of an inch and tighten the clampy things. No thumps since.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok

Sounds like all I need is the sledge-o-matic (which I take to be a mallet of some type, Gubi!).
AND, yes I did see the subsequent bulletin 25.91.01, but since that involves removing the actual springs, I am crossing fingers that the simpler fix works!

As always, THANKS to the folks on this list!

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,026 Posts
Oh man. That was a Gallagher reference, Andy. I'd say I'm dating myself but I know you're older than me! :D

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
and furthermore...

Armed with the TSBs regarding suspension noise, (thanks GUBI and archivists), I got the car up on the lift this weekend. Took very close inspection of (not only) possible touch-points in the two TSBs, but also anything else on the exhaust, suspension, or elsewhere that could be making noise. Everything looked good, tight and no evidence of any contact that would make the noises I hear.

Got to rear wheels and my friend (European car mechanic NOT Alfa-specific) found significant vertical looseness/movement at the passenger-side rear wheel, as well as the rubbing/grinding sound on booth rear wheels when spinning which indicate bad wheel bearings.

SO, I am not entirely sure if this is the culprit for my "clunking" sound in the back, but safety dictates that I replace the wheel bearings at the minimum. As I have never done wheel bearings in the rear (it seems they must be pressed-in by the machine shop), any advice or directions on the procedure? I searched the archives and FAQs but couldn't find anything specific. (I do have the manuals, of course, but just wondering about anecdotes). Thanks again for anything you can send my way...

Best

Andy

·
Administrator
17,467 Posts

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
It's a pretty easy job - take the brake stuff off leads you to removing the four nuts that hold the splash shield on; these are the axle bolts. Un do them and the axle just pulls right out.

Press and a bearing splitter are needed to R & R, but harbor freight will sell you a 12T press for $99, and a set of splitters for about $50. Bout the same as a shop would charge, and you have a cool new tool....

Robert

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but....a failed transmission mount will give some nice thumps over uneven surfaces and particularly when the drivetrain is under load... like going up a steep incline in a low gear.

Jon in SC

1 - 20 of 20 Posts