Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About two years ago I decided that it would be super cool to remove my rear bumper, make the car have a smooth rolled back... We have three GTV6s so one that was bastardized was not a huge deal. So in I went with the salzall... A little off of here. A bit off of there. I was left with a HUGE MESS.

There are two pretty good supports that hold those bumper shock things. It seemed that if I removed the bumper I would need some brace to hold the back together. So I TIG welded in a 1" bent square tube to tie the pieces together. If you ever mess around back there you will notice that the spare tire spot is right in the way of a nice smooth rolled back... So that got the chop, replaced with a pretty beefy piece of sheet metal (it was rusty anyways). I used some pretty tough 3M 5200 and rivets to secure the metal and when it was all said and done I am pretty sure I have one of the beefiest stiffest GTV6 backs. I still had a huge hole where the "cool rolled back" was supposed to be. My brother (hmacris here) said we shoudl stretch soem fabric and fiberglass. I wanted to weld in some metal. We did neither. We decided to use foam...

So I got the idea from these 911 turbo conversion kits I saw online. They sold you the foam and you just fiberglassed over them... Couldn't be all that hard right? Wrong. First be sure not to use polyester or vinylester resin with most home type foam (polyethylene styrofoam types). It will melt it and you will have a mess. That is the resin that stinks like boat manufactures. It is also the inexpensive stuff. Use Epoxy resin, like west system and always try a little spot to see how it all reacts. ALSO DON'T USE BONDO it is polyester resin based and will also melt... Plus it is really heavy. Try to mix up some 410 West System filler it seemed to work well.

I tried to put the photos in but the album should be public at google+

https://plus.google.com/photos/103153240939967732141/albums/5692057317955398721

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now I am in the process of filling and fairing before I add the fiberglass, I will take more photos. My day job is running small boats so fiberglass work is not so difficult. The hard part is going to be making sure we get good adhesion to the metal and that the fairing is done really well so you can't tell this whole thing happened. Once it is all done in intend on removing most of the foam from the back so that water doesn't accumulate around the body.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
OMG !!!!

[read into it what you will]

·
Premium Member
14,656 Posts
Is there a good way of getting rid of the rear bumper?

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Almost the only way to make the tail look good without the bumper, involves reworking the body 'lip' behind the bumper, which is the weld interface of rear quarter panels and trunk floor panel. It is like it is because the bumper 'filler' moulding hides it. If you look at a bunch of done mods, they removed that. No small feat.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Well, the effort was spent; bumper shock mounts removed, lots'o work done there. I do like the cleaner look of no bumpers.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Looks vulnerable though. Some Idiot, 'parking by Brail', will marr the beauty. Inevitably.

·
Premium Member
14,656 Posts
I am torn between bumper-less and chrome bumpers. That car has tilted me a bit towards no bumpers.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
A tastefully done chrome bumper would be sweet. Wanted to for a long time, I have to go to a junk yard and see what might work.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Jim (LaVoce) ran his Alfetta GT for awhile without bumpers and it looked nice but not quite right. He found a set of stainless (I think, rather than chrome) bumpers and put them on it, and man that look just makes that car! Looks really great. There's probably pictures on the board here somewhere.

·
Premium Member
2,628 Posts
Here's the mod to my latest GTV-6
ExteriorRearCornerFromPassengers.jpg

ExteriorForwardFromDrivers.jpg

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Here a couple of pictures of my race cars end. Possibly not everybody´s taste, but it saves weight, thats for sure!
I like it, particular for a race car. Looks like rear functional aero mods.
Jes

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
dmacris: As you stated yourself "Things not to do....."

Looks like you have a great shop with lift and welder......all the tools are there....hmmm.....

I applaud your effort...but tear it all off and do a proper sheet metal weld job......then fill and bondo as needed....

there are some pics of a beautiful black alfa gtv6 with smooth a*s*s* like glass....maybe someone can find them and post them...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
More work

So, XRay

I am sorta with you on getting sheet metal to do it "right" but the path has been chosen and I am too far along to change now. So as people mentioned the lip where the bumper faring slides on comes away from the body which kills the line I was trying to accomplish. So that all needed to be cut back and bent down. I did take it to some respectable sheet metal places and they said they couldn't do it. It would mean cutting back into the rear quarters to get to some good square metal and then the cost associated would be upwards of $3000 for starters. There is a guy out on Long Island that was going to do it but like I said, I could see it going up to $5000 by the time he rebuilt the whole back end. Alfa didn't design the car to be like this so making it this way is a bit of a stretch. The one photo posted really renewed my faith...

Today I finished shaping and I am about ready to fiberglass over the whole shooting match. I marked out where my layers of glass are going to be so you don't end up with a huge thick edge. It should all be smooth and hopefully look about as good as that other black car. I am going to do a cut out for a centered exhaust. I am over the hump now and it is all down hill. I can guarantee the mod is going to weigh less than the stock bumpers. If someone rear ends me I will kill them. I was thinking of carrying cinderblocks in the truck to put around it when I park...

I seriously considered just finding a new car and scrapping the whole project since i can pick up a pretty good GTV6 for $5000... This is the GTV6 I rewired and put a Haltech EFI in it (slight electrical fire...) So we have been through a bunch together.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts