Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a wonderful drive up to my girlfiend's place yesterday evening, and at one point on the road I heard a "thump" that sounded like a rock hitting the car, but from underneath.

When I stopped, a short while later, I found a dimple in the hood. :( The underside revealed a small but deep scrape that took the hood to bare metal for about 3mm by 8mm. I couldn't figure out what could have flown off the engine, until I noticed that there is a grounding strap hanging from my intake plenum and not bolted to anything. Methinks the bolt was the flying object.

Can someone tell me where the grounding strap is supposed to attach, and the type of bolt/thread and size that I need to replace it with? I guess I'm going to have to live with the dimple. This car is a long way from needing a paint job.

Now I wish I had bought one of those "noise dampening" things that attaches to the underside of the hood. It might have provided enough padding to keep my hood looking pristine.

Tim

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Can you post a pic of the strap?

My first thought is that the plastic fan exploded (if your car has (had) one).

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
The plenum strap goes (normally) goes from one of the bolts where the support rod affixes, and the other end goes to one of the intake studs. 8X1.0 or 8x1.25 IIRC.

Does this dimple happen to be off to the left side of center on the hood? (you know, like where the oil fill cap would hit if the engine mounts where bad or something bottomed the pan and shoved the engine up)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's a picture of the grounding strap. My plastic fan is in great shape, still doing its job, no damage that I can see. One end comes out of the front side of the intake plenum, near the throttle mechanism.

Attachments

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does this dimple happen to be off to the left side of center on the hood? (you know, like where the oil fill cap would hit if the engine mounts where bad or something bottomed the pan and shoved the engine up)
Nope. It's above the throttle linkage on the passenger side, just in front of the intake plenum.

So, maybe I've lost a stud on my intake????

Tim

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
That or a missing nut is what I'd be looking for, yes. (well, chase the strap first to see which end your dealing with. Plenum end will be a bolt)

Shouldn't be too difficult to locate where it came off from, as the strap has to actually be able to reach the anchor points.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can clearly see that the grounding strap is attaached to the intake plenum. But it's very difficult to see where it might attach at the other end. There is so much "stuff" (hoses, et al) in that area of the engine, that I cannot make out any mounting points from above.

I guess I'll take this one to the mechanic so we can get it up on the lift.

Tim

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
A lift likely won't help as the oil pan and cross member will block most of your view.

You'd prolly have better luck with a penlight and a mirror actually.

If truly desperate, you could take the plenum off.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Tim - If your "out-ding" on the hood did not break the finish, you should have good luck with a "paintless dent repair" outfit in your area. They do wonders with that type of damage at a modest cost. Good luck.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah, unfortunately, Doug, it did crack the finish with a tiny X. But if the dent can be smoothed out, I might be able to sneak a little paint into the cracks and make it virtually disappear. It might be worth a try, anyway.

I tried the mirror and a spotlight to find the missing nut, and I couldn't do it. So I waited around until my mechanic who replaced my head gasket last month showed up, and he couldn't find anything missing. He thinks that he forgot to connect the grounding strap. So I'm left with a theory that something that got flung into the engine compartment by bouncing off the road and hitting the fan. I was following a large dump truck at the time, but not so close that stuff would fly out and hit the car straight on.

In any case, what's done is done. The oil is changed, everything was checked for proper torque, and nothing seems to be flying off. I seem to be getting a small amount of oil out of the VVT mechanism, but not very much.

Tim

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
No.

The solinoid and mount must be removed, and underneath you'll find a plate with a rollpin and bolt in it.

Remove the bolt and gently lever the plate off the rollpin and the o-ring will be right under that.

Assemble in reverse, with plate bolt and solinoid mount getting 8-10ft/lbs torque, and don't forget to double check the solinoid adjustment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts