Alfa Romeo Forums banner

THICKNESS AND WIDTH TO SEAL THE GAS TANK TO THE FLANGE ON THE TRUNK FLOOR SPIDER S4

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  CADCHUCK429 
#1 ·
Getting my gas tank back next week from the radiator guy the inside of the tank was a mess. Plenty of soot and crud looked to be like 1/2" thick from what I could see. Outside looked great. The sealant that was on there was so deteriorated I couldn't determine the thickness of it. What would be the correct width and thickness for this application? Also any thoughts on which product to use? Many different recommendations on this forum looking for one with a proven track record and longevity.
Thanks In advance for your input.
Chuck

#5 ·
I used window weatherstrip rolls. Available at home improvement and RV parts stores. Stays pliable, 1" width. Putty like consistency and about the same thickness of the gasket.
Cheers, Jon

#8 ·
CA sell that contoured seal now (as opposed to the length of seal they also sell, RB095)
RB116 FUEL TANK TO BODY SEAL CORRECT CONTOUR ALL 105

people have used 3M tape caulk from the local NAPA, seems a good thing for this use.
CA sell that contoured seal now (as opposed to the length of seal they also sell, RB095)
RB116 FUEL TANK TO BODY SEAL CORRECT CONTOUR ALL 105

people have used 3M tape caulk from the local NAPA, seems a good thing for this use.
Thanks for that. I'll stay state side for this one and avoid shipping charges and down time.
Chuck

#9 ·
I pulled my tank this weekend...I didn't find any seal...glad to know so I can get some weather stripping before I reinstall. I'm concerned though that the seal might retain water. should there not be a weep holes or something around the recessed mounting area?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.