Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Now to me this is a pretty race car!

I`m watching the bidding! If it seems to be going for a reasonable amount (including the anticipated cost of my wife`s divorce atty) I might bid!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1994-ssz-motorcars-ssz-stradale-mark-ii/
OMG, that's one of Tom Zat's cars. He actually put a Nissan GTP engine in one of them and tried to race in IMSA. I didn't know any of them had a 3-liter Alfa engine.

Richard, based on what I read about the car, I hope you know someone on the Left Coast who can check it out for you.

Zat had an Alfa business in Wisconsin and could rightly claim to own several hundred Alfas - mostly wrecks/parts cars. But he also had quite a few interesting and running cars. He was once very active in AROC, then I think he got into old Army trucks. He built the first SSZ cars from Sprint Speciales, I think. Subsequently, I think he built them from scratch.

Mike

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
The only races I have actually attended in more than 10 years are vintage races and the Runoffs. The Runoffs are probably the best racing anywhere, but the best looking cars, like Alfa Spiders and Jags, have disappeared. I write about the production classes, and they are full or Miatas and tin tops. So, to see beautiful race cars, you do have to watch vintage racing.
A couple of years ago we drove up to the TWS track to watch the SCCA races. I was with two former SCCA racers who, along with me, hadn't been to an SCCA race in years. We were curious to see what changes had occurred over the years. Wow were there changes. That day there were about 30 Miatas running nose-to-tail . . . lap after lap after lap. They might as well have been on a circle-track for all the "racing" they were doing. We left after spending less than an hour at the track.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
In racing, pretty is as pretty does. Aero often makes for some strange looking cars and most beautiful cars have poor aero qualities. Tracks such as Daytona and Le Mans favor good aero shapes.
I agree - they're all about airflow management. It isn't necessarily the slipperiest shape, it's massive cooling, intercoolers, downforce, drag, and stability at high speeds. The science seeks the maximum performance in all those areas, making the shape an odd compromise of extremely manipulated forms - look at all the bizarre fins and winglets all over an F1 car, and that weird tv antenna hoop on the back. The 919 was disappointing to me to look at, but it went like stink and was half rocket ship. The weird humpback look of Prototypes is all about safety rules and impact protection at extreme speeds. Now it's obsolete - PSK is right about nostalgia. And remember that unbelievable Audi crash early in a recent Le Mans race, and he stepped out of the shredded hulk and walked away? The same accident in the 60s was certain death.

It's all about the rules and maximizing advantage - we could write a new Formula class with an enforced zero (or maybe 100 lbs positive) downforce, no undertray, no external wings. We'd see shapes like the Gurney Eagle again. Tires and mechanical grip would determine how much horsepower you could actually use. But people are smart - they'll figure out how to make downforce that can't be measured in the inspections. Remember Smokey Yunick - the game will go on!

sucp_0109_01_z+smokey_yunicks_1966_chevelle+henry_yunick.jpg

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Like I said, they just ain't pretty any more.

JaG

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Be still, my heart! That is the definition of a beautiful F1 car. It's not the only beautiful F1 car, but it's the best one!

And I got to see it win at Spa on June 18, 1967. One of the most memorable experiences of my life.

Mike

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
OH, lucky you! What a great memory that is! It's my favorite as well.

Does everyone know that the landing legs on those amazing spaceX boosters that landed side by side where built by All American Racers?

·
Registered
112 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,422 Posts
I think they should throw away all that aero cr*p and let the cars move around instead of gluing them to the pavement. That way we could really see the input from the driver as he maneuvers the car in a much more visible manner. Much more fun to see. As it is now, they always look like they are mounted on rails. Boring.

Plus, we could again end up seeing beautiful cars such as something akin to the Gurney Eagle (while still using the increased safety of the modern body of course).

·
Premium Member
3,534 Posts
Agree. When they make me king of the universe, just for the heck of it I might ban CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics); the technique used to simulate and measure airflow over every little part of the race car, resulting in the wings, spoilers, slits, slots, barge boards, etc.

Of course, even Gurney used aerodynamic advantages. Google the Eagle BLAT Indy car and it's subsequent banning from competition.

I think they should throw away all that aero cr*p and let the cars move around instead of gluing them to the pavement. That way we could really see the input from the driver as he maneuvers the car in a much more visible manner. Much more fun to see. As it is now, they always look like they are mounted on rails. Boring.

Plus, we could again end up seeing beautiful cars such as something akin to the Gurney Eagle (while still using the increased safety of the modern body of course).

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Agree. When they make me king of the universe, just for the heck of it I might ban CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics); the technique used to simulate and measure airflow over every little part of the race car, resulting in the wings, spoilers, slits, slots, barge boards, etc.

Of course, even Gurney used aerodynamic advantages. Google the Eagle BLAT Indy car and it's subsequent banning from competition.
George for King of the Universe! King George the ConeDriver!

Let's start a movement! :grin2:

Mike

·
Registered
11,639 Posts

But they would be slow.

Just like sports car manufacturers do not have the balls to make a car that is less powerful and slower than their competitor, even if it is the greatest car ever designed, F1 will never permit themselves to be schooled by Indy and Sportscars
Pete
ps: The greatest disappointment with modern cars is this hp chase. If we concentrated on making great drivers cars, instead of worrying about the length of the manufacturer's penis, the % of car enthusiasts would still be high ... but Alfa Romeo with the 4c is the only example I can think of where any manufacturer made the right car, but even Alfa then got insecure and made the Guilia Quad ...

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
But they would be slow.

Just like sports car manufacturers do not have the balls to make a car that is less powerful and slower than their competitor, even if it is the greatest car ever designed, F1 will never permit themselves to be schooled by Indy and Sportscars
Pete
ps: The greatest disappointment with modern cars is this hp chase. If we concentrated on making great drivers cars, instead of worrying about the length of the manufacturer's penis, the % of car enthusiasts would still be high ... but Alfa Romeo with the 4c is the only example I can think of where any manufacturer made the right car, but even Alfa then got insecure and made the Guilia Quad ...
PSK - BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
15,422 Posts
"But they would be slow"

But the drivers are racing against each other, not any other group. That's what I want to see.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Some of the best racing I've ever seen has been in the "slow" classes in SCCA - Formula Vee forever has given us great racing. Same with Spec Miata and Spec Racer. They may be slow, but the cars are very close in potential, so the difference is the driver. Close racing is the best. Cars don't need 1000 hp and 200+ mph to be exciting. In fact, a string of cars all following each other is boring no matter how fast they are going.

Fast cars, slow cars, I don't care - give me competition.

Mike

21 - 39 of 39 Posts