Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recorded the Rolex 24 and just finished watching the last few hours yesterday. It occurred to me that the race cars aren't pretty any more. Think about it - the Caddy DPi is functional, but it sure isn't pretty, certainly not like a 33 Stradale. And there was a time when people raced cars like a Sprint Speciale. F1 is the same way - those cars are just butt ugly to anyone other than an aerodynamicist. Gone are the days of the AAR Eagle.

At least the racing was good - a 24 hour sprint race for all three classes.

Mike

Reactions: Del

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
I'm with Mike, Aero has taken over and the cars have no relevance to the real world.

I recorded the Rolex 24 and just finished watching the last few hours yesterday. It occurred to me that the race cars aren't pretty any more. Think about it - the Caddy DPi is functional, but it sure isn't pretty, certainly not like a 33 Stradale. And there was a time when people raced cars like a Sprint Speciale. F1 is the same way - those cars are just butt ugly to anyone other than an aerodynamicist. Gone are the days of the AAR Eagle.

At least the racing was good - a 24 hour sprint race for all three classes.

Mike

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Although I'm sure it sounds like gear-head heresy, I find modern racing boring in the extreme. The cars mostly look alike and the racing tends to devolve into a high-speed parade. I'd rather watch vintage racing any day.

·
Premium Member
16,072 Posts
I agree. F1 has gotten themselves into trouble with passing, having to make up weird stuff like passing zones, etc, by having far too much aero design input with wings fore and aft. I think they should get rid of the wings front and rear, just designing the cars for lowest drag without these wings which prevent real racing because of the tremendous wakes behind them.

·
Administrator
12,915 Posts
While some 33 Stradales did race they were the pretty road version of the real race car the T33/2 ... so we should compare apples with apples :)

Pete

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
In racing, pretty is as pretty does. Aero often makes for some strange looking cars and most beautiful cars have poor aero qualities. Tracks such as Daytona and Le Mans favor good aero shapes.
There's lots of vintage racing going on. Watch them instead.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While some 33 Stradales did race they were the pretty road version of the real race car the T33/2 ... so we should compare apples with apples :)

Pete
OK, TZ2, then.

Mike

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In racing, pretty is as pretty does. Aero often makes for some strange looking cars and most beautiful cars have poor aero qualities. Tracks such as Daytona and Le Mans favor good aero shapes.
There's lots of vintage racing going on. Watch them instead.
The only races I have actually attended in more than 10 years are vintage races and the Runoffs. The Runoffs are probably the best racing anywhere, but the best looking cars, like Alfa Spiders and Jags, have disappeared. I write about the production classes, and they are full or Miatas and tin tops. So, to see beautiful race cars, you do have to watch vintage racing.

I'll admit to a soft spot in my head for F1 - I've watched it in person, had media credentials to races, and now watch it on TV. I watch it, although I don't enjoy it nearly as much as I did in the 1960s, '70s, and '80s. IMSA provides good competition, much of the time, so I enjoy it as well. I like good racing, too bad there's so little in F1. The cars just are no longer pretty.

Mike

·
Richard Jemison
7,593 Posts
Modern Racing

Although I'm sure it sounds like gear-head heresy, I find modern racing boring in the extreme. The cars mostly look alike and the racing tends to devolve into a high-speed parade. I'd rather watch vintage racing any day.
I agree, all motorsports today have evolved from human controled machines to electronic/computer controlled machines and the drivers are steering wheel holders.

From drag racing to F1 it`s boring to watch. They may as well add GPS and just let the computers race.

·
Administrator
12,915 Posts

Back in the '50s Joe lent over to Fred and said "Gee I'm not sure about these toothpaste tube shaped cars of today, much preferred the more masculine look of the old cars like, you know, the Bentleys"

Back in the '70s Daron was on a phone call with Anthony and said "Gee I'm not sure about all these winged cars of today, much preferred the streamlined look of the old cars like ... yeah those C-type Jaguars"

Back in the '90s Tony was on his mobile chatting with Shayne and said "Gee I'm not sure about all these weird high downforce cars of today, corner like on rails, much preferred the days when you could see the driver earn their pay"

Back in the '10s West sent a text to his mate Damien and wrote "Gee I'm not sure about all these high pitching screaming engines of today's race cars, much preferred them when they were belching fire like those Brabham BMW's did"

You get the picture
Pete

·
Premium Member
16,072 Posts
But see what it got you. Cars which cannot pass because their tremendous wake cannot be negotiated by the following car, either in handling, or because of overheating. So, to have any chance of passing, they use some finocky stupid "passing" zone, and manual change of vehicle drag by the driver.

They've finally painted themselves into the proverbial corner with their total emphasis on aero and computers. Their audience and relevance are down, costs are through the roof, and most people confess that they find the races boring.

I've seen them race in real life (real racing, the 67 Monza F1 race), and followed the races on television for decades, but I no longer care if I see a race or not.

Vintage has been my release. I watch them at the local track every summer. Lots of real fun and noise, with real cars.

·
Registered
744 Posts
WE LOVE Bathurst.........count the days
This experienced driver tells it like it is. >:)>:)>:)>:)

Reactions: GT4 and cucinando

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
The passenger seat is always 40Km. faster..

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I reckon back in the day there were old guys complaining about the the 33 type race cars because they weren't open tops and didn't have tools and a mechanic on board. (And what's with the stupid helmets).

·
Premium Member
16,072 Posts
This is different, as now what we have are boring races. Why get excited about acknowledged boring races? The racing has become irrelevant and immaterial.

·
Registered
132 Posts
In fairness, as others have alluded to, by the time they got to the Alfa 33 TT12 which actually did quite a lot of winning, they weren't particularly pretty either.

·
Richard Jemison
7,593 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
I recorded the Rolex 24 and just finished watching the last few hours yesterday. It occurred to me that the race cars aren't pretty any more. Think about it - the Caddy DPi is functional, but it sure isn't pretty, certainly not like a 33 Stradale. And there was a time when people raced cars like a Sprint Speciale.

Mike
Obviously, admiration for Sprint Speciale is an acquired taste. The designer accomplished even greater visual offenses.

:)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts