Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
That car looks pretty impecable in the photos - and at least from the photos the paint looks pretty awesome and appears to have been a complete body off restoration - like the burgundy and black door panels. Don't know the reserve price but the buy it now is 28K, is that a crazy amount of money for a Duetto in that kind of condition? What do prime examples go for like $15-25K or something??

GV

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Heavy DRUG users
You must be referring to the white powder on the trunk mats in car photo #11? I imagine they have to pay for that free airfare to pick up the car at the border somehow, so either you pay it in your car payment, or bubba will meet you at your home to strip the stuff out of the tires and mufflers.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
The work on that car looks excellent, but it's hard to imagine that someone will pay the buy-it-now price for this particular example. The series 1 Spiders are collectible and a restored example can easily achieve that price. However, this particular car has incorrect seats, carpets, etc... and the non-legal roll-bars do nothing except reduce its value. I really wonder how knowledgeable was the restorer, and these sellers. For starters, only '66 and '67 cars are "Duettos" (an unofficial name BTW, even though it came about in the contest organized by Alfa). From '68 on they are simply Spiders...

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
These are the same people that have inflated the prices on late '60s muscle cars.

Bottom feeders, if you ask me.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,365 Posts
I think there are a lot of ways to value a car. The Buy It Now price is ahead of the market for round tails, but not by all that much.

We tend to look at Alfas through our own narrow perspective; what they have always been worth and what they trade for among the Alfa-aware.

If we step back and look at this car in the general scheme of the collector car market - that is compare it to other European collectibles from 1969, it comes out looking like a lot of style and performance for the price.

** Again, comments are based on the car being as it appears - a solid, restored car with a few custom touches that would not be that hard to revert back to stock. **

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
"Show" condition?????

My guess is the real story on the respray and bodywork is a "el cheapo" from Juarez. Gross lack of attention to detail which, to me, screams ripoff for what this guy is claiming.

- claims 2,110 miles on the car, then later says 2,110 since restoration, then shows a picture of the odometer which shows 2,110 miles. Methinks it's all BS and that the odometer's been rolled.
- airbox painted wrong color
- painted boosters
- door stays not replaced
- heater controls dirty
- didn't even bother to take 5 minutes to repaint the jack
- pedal pads worn

I wonder if you did a compression check and pulled a sample of oil from the injection pump, what you'd find. . . . much less holding a magnet up to the bodywork.

This one doesn't pass the smell check.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hey if he can get it, more power to him. I wouldn't pay it but that free air fare just might..........

·
Registered
758 Posts
Prices Are Going Up And Are Crazy ... But There Are Buyers Out There ... Fantasy Junction Sold A White 74 Gtv .. $24k .. A Guy In Pa Sold A 74 Gtv ( Orig 21k Miles ) $24k ... Both Cars Were Nice Car , Notting Outstanding And I Would Say Both Cars Needed Work And Detailing.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Crazy pricing or cheap really depends upon where you are in the world. The dollars drop against the Euro has created a net drop in relative pricing for cars exported over there. 4 years ago, a 20,000 Euro purchase bought you a car worth $17,500 here (+-). Today, that same 20,000 Euro's buys you a $24,000 car. I would bet that the nicer cars are mostly being shipped overseas.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Fyi

I know nothing about this car, but I have purchased an Alfa from this dealer in the past and the experince was first rate. The car was as good as described and they were very straightforward.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I know nothing about this car, but I have purchased an Alfa from this dealer in the past and the experince was first rate. The car was as good as described and they were very straightforward.
im not saying noting negative about the dealer ... only saying about have prices have gone up

·
Registered
581 Posts
i think you'll find that all the spiders are called duettos in Italy.... and you can get a pretty nice series one in the mid teens on ebay..... so yes that buy it now is a bit high.... but as they say "a car is worth whatever someone is prepared to pay for it"

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Whats the prob with this car??
Looks pretty nice to me, I'd take out the roll bar but the rest looks pretty good!

·
Registered
936 Posts
i think you'll find that all the spiders are called duettos in Italy
i thought the Duetto was called the "Osso di Seppia" in Italy.

The car is quite nice, except for the trendy style rollbar. concourse restoration ? definately not.
worth $28k ?? seems a little high to me, but if someone -anyone- is willing to pay it . . .

1 - 20 of 37 Posts