Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the two studs that hold the top section of the thermostatic actuator are stripped. Can I drill and tap to the next size? Assuming I'm clever enough to not drill too deep!

Thanks,

Todd

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
If the studs are pulled out of the manifold then that's about your only choice. If the threads on the studs are stripped but they are still okay in the manifold then the first thing to try is to put thick washers under the nuts in the hope that they can tighten down on threads further up the stud which are not stripped. If that won't work and if you can remove them you could just use the appropriate size screws as replacements. If you cannot find screws with heads narrow enough to work you could either grind down the diameter of the head or completely cut it off and make new studs out of the screws.

Due to the small size and location any of these solutions have the potential to be difficult. You'll need to have patience and a bit of luck but it can be done. I would try the washers first though, that often works because it is usually only the few threads where the nut tightens down that are stripped. Use new nuts as well.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Is it the actual stud that's stripped or the manifold hole that's bad? If it's the stud, exactly what part.

The usual failure mode is the stud is allowed to corrode, then snaps-off. Note to owners . . . Don't allow corrosion.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I know this thread has been inactive for quite some time, but I am having this same issue. One of my TA studs snapped off when I replaced the TA a couple months ago. I'm in the middle of replacing the head gasket and figured I could replace the broken TA stud while I have the head and intake manifold removed from the car. This evening I tried to unscrew it, and the little piece that was remaining also snapped off, leaving a very tiny piece protruding from the manifold. I have replacement studs that will fit, but I am not sure the best way to try to remove the broken stud. I've soaked it for days in penetrating oil, but I can't get it to loosen. Any ideas?
IMG_2369.jpg
IMG_2369.jpg

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Left hand twist drill bit and hope it unthreads itself with the heat and friction of drilling. Otherwise I would think it’s a drill and retap...... all drilling needs to be super centered.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
If you are not really versed at drilling and tapping, I suggest a machine shop. If yo have a drill press and the appropriate tooling go for it. Good luck as it is a very trying job with not much room for error as when drilling it the drill will walk very easily.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
A good machine shop will mount your manifold on a milking machine and ‘drill’ out the body of the studs whiout cutting into the threaded manifold hole. At that point the remainder of the stud will be flexible enough that a reverse threaded ‘remover probably will work.

Best left to a professional.

Worst case the head gets welded up and they drill and re-tap for a new stud.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Just drill it out and helicoil it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts