Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi friends!
I know this might be boring as this could have been asked before from some of us, but I really need some advice!!!
I think I have a problem in the thermostat, a leakage, a stuck open thermostat...
Did a trip yesterday in the mountains and noticed that the temp was before the middle temp sign (70*C) most of the time.

Now, I have done the test with the water hoses that go in the radiator, touching them before the middle temp sign is reached, there is a little difference(the hose that goes from thermostat to radiator is hotter than the other hose that comes from the radiator to the engine that normally should be cold until the thermostat opens). Is this the right way how it should be or is the opposite? I'm confused, also the top of the radiator is warm as the hose from the thermostat, is it normal?

Do I have a slightly stuck opened thermostat? If yes than it was like this since I bought it new. It never worked as it should, **** 35EUR for nothing.

Where to find a new one, last time I had to wait nearly 2 months to get it as you can't find here.
Actually I have a spare used one, taken from a scrap 33 and I don't know if it's in working conditions or not. I guess the only way to check it before installing is to boil it up in the water and check if it closes or not.

Need some advice,
Best,

Elvis

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've got a slightly stuck open thermostat but luckily it stays at 80-85 degrees but just takes time to warm up as it circulates the water through the radiator as soon as the engine starts.

It should be closed until the engine water gets to 80 degrees or so.

If you can change the thermostat do it. They are pretty cheap or try the old one you have.

Shame I can't get hold of them here in Uruguay. I just need to live with mine unless it opens more and goes below 80.

70 degrees is not enough for the engine to work well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My lucky day yesterday.

By pure chance I ran into a fiat shop that had the Behr 33 thermostat. Picked that up straight away and only 25 quid.
:D:D:D

They've also got Marelli new wiper motors. Have to double check mine but I think it was identical. will buy thay next week as mine is half burnt out even having overhauling it. It only has enough power to work on full speed (and wipes slowly on this setting with the battery light coming on as if it's drawing 1000's of amps!!)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts