Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been going thru a lot of the restoration threads here on this site and Im wondering why nobody seems to rust protect their body work utilizing thermal wire spray metallization ?

IMO it is the best way to protect bare mild steel from rusting. If scrathes occur the Zink will grow together and cover the scratch preventing oxidation to the freshly uncovered steel.

I know it has its limitations because there are areas where its impossible to reach with the spray gun, but in that areas other methods could be used.

Anyone has experiense with thermal wire metallization ?

Best regards

Lasse

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Interesting >> wiki

Can't say I've ever seen or read about anybody doing this with a restoration at home. Is the equipment available to the DIY?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can´t see why not

All you need is a metallizing gun, either one with an electric powered arch or a flame drived by oxygen and acethylen, and an air compressor. They are pretty expensive as new, but used ones apears on ebay at about 1-2 K$ ones and a while.

I know that is a lot of money, but im pretty sure as the rumor goes in your local classic car community, you can take $ to rent it out or do the coating for others your self.

Here is a small video I found on Youtube, where you can see that its even possible to do small repairs with zink on blasted sheet metal.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
This is really interesting, I am going to look into it.
I do a lot of rust repair/restoration and this would be a great tool to repair pitted metal
without having to cut out and weld in.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Wow, I agree, that looks impressive. I wonder how smooth/fine zinc deposition would go on an exterior panel for painting

[edit] with a bit of googling and I came up with this

From this very nice and local to me! Fiat spider build thread

Looks like you can 'simply' file finish.
I wonder how much a wire flame spray gun actually costs?

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Craig, I think this is the same setup Adrian (who did my Super) at Impact Panel Works bought recently. He saw it in a trade show last year in the UK and was very impressed.

He showed me how it filled tiny rust holes that had been blasted clean on a fiat spider they have in there. Very cool.
Current Restoration – Fiat 124 Spider

Attachments

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Hey Derek ! (Merry Christmas)

Yes it's the same car and Adrian from Impact.
I really want him to do my Duetto, although I doubt I could afford it all.

Is he doing your Monty?

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Merry Christmas to you too! I dare say he will do the finishing and painting on the Montreal but the main metal work is being done by a friend up at Bundaberg. He has had a fair few Alfas through the shop after mine and I feel a bit sorry for him as they are inevitably bad under the skin so I'm not wishing to inflict more pain on him!

I plan to get the car pretty close in primer and them deliver to him to do his finishing magic!

Maybe he'll have forgiven me for the Super pain in a few years and he can do the step front gtv:blushing:

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Thank you for that link Lani.
It seems there is a lot to it. I guess there is a wire feed needed besides the gun, as well as the gas for flame. I hope I can find an affordable book on "how to".

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for that link Lani.
It seems there is a lot to it. I guess there is a wire feed needed besides the gun, as well as the gas for flame. I hope I can find an affordable book on "how to".
If you find an affordable solution and go ahead with it then please make a thread about your experiences

·
Administrator
12,587 Posts
Craig, I think this is the same setup Adrian (who did my Super) at Impact Panel Works bought recently. He saw it in a trade show last year in the UK and was very impressed.

He showed me how it filled tiny rust holes that had been blasted clean on a fiat spider they have in there. Very cool.
Current Restoration – Fiat 124 Spider
Surely a professional place did not do what you are suggesting? Note I am assuming they have sprayed on a zinc coating???

Would have only taken them minutes to weld the holes up ... :confused:
Pete

·
Premium Member
4,545 Posts
The spray guns look to be a modern version of the lead filler spray guns that all body shops used until the 60's. Which between the epa and plastic filler did away with. Which was probably a good thing.

·
Administrator
12,587 Posts
Here is the process, don't knock it until you try it. You also don't know the clients requests or particular circumstances regarding finances, car etc. always quick to judge...
I guess like any process it can be misused, but I've never been a fan of filling holes with anything but steel. Zinc or lead does not have the same structural properties as steel, but then for a non-chassis piece that probably does not matter.

I would like to know about painting it, but always interesting to see what clever tools/processes are being developed.
Pete

1 - 20 of 20 Posts